Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
HFA
Winnebago Camper

xphoneguy, thank you for your post and your excellent followup answers. Mine is one that would be affected. I guess I'll take a look at it as preventive maintenance. Thanks, again.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
View D Owner

We will be picking up our new 2019 View in November from Lichtsinn RV in Iowa. Did Norcold and Winnebago give any indication that since they now know the problem that it will be fixed going forward?
gposton58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

yes, I believe yours should have the fuse holder already removed. Now that Winnebago knows about the issue. It wouldn't be a bad question for your salesperson to look into before taking delivery. The service manager at Lichtsinn should also know about it. I think his name is Dave. I worked with all those people when trying to figure out the problem.

Lichtsinn is a good dealer and since Forest City is a small town, everyone at Winnebago and Lichtsinn know each other. I bought from them as well!!! Would highly recommend them as a dealer and service provider. My sales person was Nicole Blazer - very knowledgeable, honest and straightforward.
xphoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoneguy View Post
Bruce, it is pretty obvious, it was the only black fuse holder that I remember up on top of the frig after you slid it out. It was also scorching hot as I touched it when the frig was turned on and running on batteries. there is a red wire running through the fuse holder
Thank you xphoneguy! I can actually see that fuse holder when looking through the top grate.

-Bruce
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Xphoneguy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Norcold compressor refrigerator!

Reading through the posts, a couple of questions:
  1. Has Winnebago said they're going to treat the fuse removal as a warranty issue?
  2. After removal of the fuse, you mentioned the refrig ran totally different. Does that refer only to the batteries not being drained during overnight usage or did other characteristics change?

For example, after my thermistor/thermostat was replaced, instead of the compressor staying off for several hours and then entering a cooling cycle, the refrigerator now cycles on/off approximately every 5 minutes.

Did you notice any change in this area or any other areas?

Thanks for any additional information you can share!

Wayne
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Wayneey

Winnebago has not directly said to me it would be a warranty issue, however I can't believe they would not handle it as such. Until we found the problem, they were unaware of it at all and the dealers were replacing frig thermostats. A guy at Norcold actually came up with the fix.

Yes the frig ran totally differently... originally it ran a full on/off cycle every 3 minutes and wouldn't run a full cycle at all at 12.1Volts. Now that the fuse is removed it runs a full on and off cycle that takes considerably longer and now depends on the setting I put the frig on. It also runs a full cycle until it drops lower that 11.9 Volts. I don't disagree that larger batteries would still be helpful, but now I don't lose the frig power nightly. I still have lost it but only due to cloudy days that the solar charger doesn't give me a full charge. Before the fuse removal I lost power to the frig every night regardless of the charge to the batteries.

I have not noticed any difference to any other areas, other than the frig not losing power somewhere during the night and the batteries being depleted prematurely.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Xphoneguy,
Quote:
Yes the frig ran totally differently... originally it ran a full on/off cycle every 3 minutes and wouldn't run a full cycle at all at 12.1Volts.
When you say 'originally', did you have the thermostat replaced first or was the fuse removal the only change that was made? Also, is a 'full cycle' sequencing from on to off to on again or some other sequence?

Thanks again!

Wayne
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Waynee,

I did not have my thermostat replaced. During the investigation of the problem Winnebago told me the only issue they were aware of were some thermostat replacements. by "originally" I meant before I removed the fuse. The fuse removal was the only change that was made - it made all the difference.

Yes, a full cycle was a constant on, off, on. That sequence starting on then to off and back to on was what I meant by a full cycle. It was happening every 3 minutes no matter what the temperature was set at.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Xphoneguy,

Thanks again for the information update. At this point, I think I've developed a good understanding of the refrig's operation and what to expect. Removal of the subject fuse should complete the process and I can put this subject to rest!

Thanks again!

Wayne
Old 10-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Mine would run one night on batteries and solar, but we'd be dead in the water by bedtime the 2nd night.

I'll look into this... my fridge has never really been "right", and this might be a possible reason!

Thanks!
bigfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

2019 N24J Update: The following synopsis is operation mainly connected to shore power with multiple all day driving periods. As of yet, I have not had the opportunity to do any dry camping.

Upon delivery (April 2018) my Norcold DE0061 refrigerator had a faulty thermostat. It would exhibit ~ 40 F temperature swings and was not able to preserve food.

After replacement, good temperatures were able to be maintained in both refrigerator and freezer compartments. Like others, it would cycle on and off every 5 minutes, 24x7.

On this forum, I read about the fuse issue. While my MH was at the dealer for other warranty work, I asked them to let me know Winnebago's position on the fuse removal/replacement issue.

Winnebago authorized the dealer to replace what I understand was the as-delivered glass type fuse in question with a flat type (NEC?) fuse. When I next turned on the refrigerator, it initially started to cool for about 30 minutes and then totally stopped working.

I have an appointment with the dealer to solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone out there has a 2018 View with the non propane, 12V electrical only, refrigerator and is having trouble with running it all night when not plugged into shore power as I am.

I have kept a log and even set at a low setting, the refrigerator runs a full on/off cycle every 3 minutes. My stock batteries are discharged in about 6 hours to a level of 12.3V. At that point the refrigerator doesn't cycle correctly. Normally I can hear a click at the beginning and end of the cycle but once it reaches 12.3V, I no longer hear the click and the thing just runs, slows down and then runs but it really doesn't sound quite the same. Once the batteries reach 12.1V, the refrigerator totally shuts off.

I had a night that was cold so had to run the furnace some. In the morning I didn't even have enough battery to start the generator. Winnebago is saying I could have a faulty temp sensor for the refrigerator.

Just looking for some input from some other 2018 View owners in regard to how often their refrigerators cycle and if they are having trouble with the batteries lasting overnight. I am contemplating beefing up the stock batteries with 2 much heavier batteries with a total of 300 amp hours but also need to adapt the battery compartment as they are too tall to fit.
I have a 2018 Fuse with the same refrigerator and while I have not had this problem I would be interested in knowing how long you can boon dock without running your batteries down now that you have this fix.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Wayneey,

Bummer! We are back from a very long road trip in our 18V24D. Lots of dry camping along the way. Synopsis, with the two T-1275 batteries I can dry camp and run the CPAP all night but still know the refrigerator is drawing too much power. I was very hopeful the fuse thing would solve the issue. Strange that you had a different response than Xphoneguy. Also interesting they told him the fuse was unnecessary and replaced yours with a different fuse

By now I was hoping WGO would have a constant and same response for the fridge repair. It does seem the complaints have faded somewhat but now the supposed "final fix" has killed the unit... Way down south in Dixie we call that failure. Two years shipping the unit.

Along the way as you know we had Tstat replaced, then the entire refrigerator replaced. And...when I defrosted upon return from the long trip I found they had once again kinked the stupid drain hose, not draining, water went everywhere. Second time on that one.

Now I was just about to set up my trip to the dealer when I read your post. I suppose I can give it a shot, several things to do like replace the Air Cond unit and those nagging new rig fixes but I would really like to see the refrigerator issue put to rest. Think I will get the oil change kit and tread water for a few weeks to see what shakes out. I hope the replacement fuse caused the failure in some way. Not happy you have the problem but sure as heck am waiting for the resolution. Please keep us posted.

BTW, our DE0061 keeps great temps with the air dam in place, no complaint there at all. The thing is working but it killed the OEM dinky batteries fast which led me to go with the T-1275 for 300AH. They handle the load but if WGO is correct this fridge should run all week with a little solar boost on those 300AH batteries. As it is they need a generator run and solar every day, a lot more draw than the engineering docs state.

Whew! As noted before we learned there are "variants" of the refrigerator in the wild and in place in our new View units. What we can't get a handle on is the exact engineering differences in the "variants" in this design and why some units give absolutely no issue and why does Xphoneguy's unit work with NO fuse and they put one in yours etc..

Waiting for the dust to settle...
Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
As noted before we learned there are "variants" of the refrigerator in the wild and in place in our new View units.
To your point, a friend with an 18V24J had the fuse removed and the refrigerator didn't run at all. The green idiot light was on and that was it. Re-inserted the fuse and it ran fine.

In my case, when I turned the refrigerator on, it ran for about 2 hours and then flat stopped. Makes one wonder how the dealer tested it after replacing the fuse. Also makes me wonder if the fuse ruptured.

When I bring it back for additional service, I'm going to formally request the refrigerator be replaced. Be interesting to hear the response.

Wayne

Tags
batteries, norcold, refrigerator