Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV Satellite for MH

Hello, all. We learned this week that the King Dome satellite on our 2010 Winnebago Journey is obsolete. We are the 2nd owners of this MH and are newbies. We have not traveled much yet and have not tried to use it. We can replace the King Dome with a new King Dome Pro for about $400. We were told we can replace it ourselves (husband is very handy). I would love to hear your experience / recommendations on a replacement TV satellite system. Currently the dome is on the roof. We were told that the King Dome Pro works with Dish, DirecTV, Bell Canada, and that all we would need besides the dome is the provider service and receiver. They said I could take my current DirecTV receiver in my home and put it in the RV. I would love to hear your advice. Thank you so much!
Rosharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran & RV Owner

King One Pro does not support DirecTV HD service! You would only get SD channels, and DirecTV is in the process of dropping the SD channels.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for this information. What TV satellite do you recommend? What do you have and do you like it? I’m looking for advice. Thank you! Rosharon 2010 Winnebago Journey
Rosharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We replaced our OEM dish with a KingOnePro in March of 2019. Mentioned in several previous posts.

If you are moderately handy and comfortable crawling around on your roof, it is a simple installation. The manual is descriptive and very clear. If you are looking at it, you know it comes with several mounting options. There are two coax cable connection. Main and second receiver. The power inserter sends voltage through these to power the dish in addition to them receiving signal. Likely you will lead them through the same plate as your present dish uses. The Pro comes with one 50ft coax. I cut it in half to make the two needed coax. Still had more than enough.

The manual will walk you through SWM switch selection. Got mine from Solid Signal just because I avoid Amazon if possible. Plus solid signal has actual U.S. customer service folks who are responsive.

Like you, we bought ours on sale <$400. Overall, we are happy with it. Like anything it has pluses and minuses.

We are DTV subscribers (we have what we have 'cuz we got what we got) , but its nice to know that if we do switch, we don't have to crawl up and align dip switches, the Pro does it automatically. The Pro only provides DTV SD channels, but it provides SD & HD with Dish. Because of the way it acquires satellite, it is slower to acquire than our old OEM Wingard M3500T. We only use ours if we are stopped for a day or two. We carry a portable HD dish for longer stays. My conceit is that I can set up and acquire satellite in no more time than it takes the Pro to acquire. The biggest drawback with the Pro and all roof mount dishes is trees or structure blocking the signal.

In our home, we have two DTV H-25 receivers. When we travel, we take them with us. Seamless boob tube watching. The ins and outs of receiving local channels is subject of another long post. Doesn't bother us. If it is not Tucker or Hallmark our interest is low.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Interesting! I've called DTV several times about the SD drop rumour. They denied it. Have they sent something new out?

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosharon View Post
Thank you for this information. What TV satellite do you recommend? What do you have and do you like it? I’m looking for advice. Thank you! Rosharon 2010 Winnebago Journey
I have a Winegard Traveler for DirecTV on the roof. It pulls in HD for DirecTV.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Satellite set up 2008 vista

I have a 2008 vista. Is it satellite ready? I’m pretty handy but am stymied by this. I have a dish playmate
GARYDBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We replaced our KingDome back in 2012 with a Winegard Traveler, now with DISH and a Hopper receiver. Very happy with the setup. But if you are only watching TV occasionally, you might be better off to get one of the small portable tailgating style dish antennas. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just bought the components to change over my Traveler to Dish. (A little over $300) After 15 years of having Direct, I had to drop them. I couldn't even get my box to "Refresh" because of stupid people and the fact that they removed the "Refresh" option from online or app. They also make it difficult to change locations for local channels. They simply don't want to mess with the RV group. We are just too much trouble - apparently. The service was never great, but since AT&T bought them it has been a steep downhill slide - IMHO.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We changed out our obsolete King Dome for a Trav’ ler system that will work with either Dish or Direct tv.

We take our receivers from the house as we always have when traveling. It’s nice to be able to push the button and have the tv come in.

The cost for install was $1800 with the dish, and when we sold that rv to our daughter, hubby easily moved it over to our new rv himself.

We have the Directtv wireless Genie system, which makes it nice not worrying about wiring to have one receiver in the bedroom and one in the living room. We just keep the main receiver in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosharon View Post
Hello, all. We learned this week that the King Dome satellite on our 2010 Winnebago Journey is obsolete. We are the 2nd owners of this MH and are newbies. We have not traveled much yet and have not tried to use it. We can replace the King Dome with a new King Dome Pro for about $400. We were told we can replace it ourselves (husband is very handy). I would love to hear your experience / recommendations on a replacement TV satellite system. Currently the dome is on the roof. We were told that the King Dome Pro works with Dish, DirecTV, Bell Canada, and that all we would need besides the dome is the provider service and receiver. They said I could take my current DirecTV receiver in my home and put it in the RV. I would love to hear your advice. Thank you so much!
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a a King Dome KD1500 rover on my roof and with a software update I was able to change it over to Dish. The previous owner had Direct TV. I did have to purchases a dish receiver that was compatibly with this system. I am unplugged at home so I am using my sisters dish account. This system is old and sometimes a pain to get started, but it works when I have no internet of over the air reception.

Thanks,

Bill Miller
Old 07-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We canceled direct tv, bought a smart tv for our 2019 View bedroom, and got a Roku for the front tv since they don’t put smart TVs in even the new rvs! So we subscribed to YouTube TV. That, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime is cheaper than all the satellite and cable companies. Then we run the internet tv through either the internet at the rv parks, or our hotspots on our phones. Works perfect and NO Satellie!
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite