Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

First and foremost I AM NOT mechanically inclined.

Second, if you remove the drain plug from the water heater and you get a spray before it is fully removed, let it sit till the spray is not there, open it some more and let the spray dissipate, do this till there is no spray then remove the plug all the way. Removing the plug before the spray disapates will result in a lost plug and a thorough wetting.

Third, If after having your motorhome winterized at the dealers and all your tanks read empty and you decide to lubricate the tank valves with silicone, hook a sewer hose to the connection and be sure that the tanks are indeed empty BEFORE opening the valve without a hose. The black tank especially. When I opened the valve my exclamation was S@@T and it was.
We learn by doing. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First and foremost I AM NOT mechanically inclined.

Second, if you remove the drain plug from the water heater and you get a spray before it is fully removed, let it sit till the spray is not there, open it some more and let the spray dissipate, do this till there is no spray then remove the plug all the way. Removing the plug before the spray disapates will result in a lost plug and a thorough wetting.

Third, If after having your motorhome winterized at the dealers and all your tanks read empty and you decide to lubricate the tank valves with silicone, hook a sewer hose to the connection and be sure that the tanks are indeed empty BEFORE opening the valve without a hose. The black tank especially. When I opened the valve my exclamation was S@@T and it was.
We learn by doing. Good Miles
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lifting the pressure release valve handle before taking out the Hot Water drain plug will eliminate the pressure against the plug and keep you dryer!
I would also agree with you about having the sewer hose attached anytime you open the valve. One just never knows what surprises await you.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Oh Jimmy, what a day. Or as my wife might say: "Uff Da!!" If it happened in the reverse order, at least you would have got a thorough rinsing.

BTW, I always open my galley faucet to relieve the system pressure, before opening the hot water tank drain plug. See; you just became more mechanically inclined!
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Jim - Your #3 just provided another reason to not to trust a dealer.

WOW - I bet that was a surprise !

Sorry Jim - but I'm to chuckle all day long over this one.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Great story and lessons for everyone. We learn little tricks everyday.

I do the same as Mike does in opening the pressure relief valve when draining the water heater tank. Not only do you avoid the dowsing, but the water drains much faster rather then the usual chug chug...

My other lesson learned is similar to yours with the drain valves. First motorhome I owned we purchased in January. Being anxious, I figured I'd check things out , so I connected a sewer hose and opened both dump valves and nothing came out. Good Dealer dumped them and made sure it was winterized properly.

A few months later towards Spring, when I decided to lubricate the valves and "Knowing" the tanks were empty because I checked earlier , I just put a small bucket under the outlet to catch any drips when I opened the valve.

When I opened the grey falve, my bucket, compartment, driveway, etc, got flooded with water. Yep....when I checked it earlier the grey tank was full, but frozen solid.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

For the water heater I always install a short piece of pipe and a ball valve (both found at your local hardware store for under $20) in place of the drain plug. Sometimes I have to install a few times till I get the right amount of teflon tape on the treads to prevent leakes.

As for the spring sewage surprise, I rinse the grey and black tanks a couple times with clean water. Then open the valves for the winter. If you are worried about critters, place a piece of window screen over the outlet with a heavy duty rubber band.

Mark
Mark&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

After that experience, you should change your screen name to Stinky!
405landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys, thought you might need something frivoulous for a change.
You have never seen a valve shut so quick. Couldn't have been more than three gallons spilled.Just enought to make a mess and thank goodness my tank chemicals did their job.
As an old greenhouse man I am used to getting wet and dirty. Good Miles
Old 03-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I to have installed a 1/2" ball valve with a brass pipe nipple in the hole where the drain plug is, and drilled a hole through the bottom cabinet and run it to the ground. Then I just open the ball valve and the safety valve and drain the tank to the ground. Now all I have to do is to run the safety valve vent opening the same way. Then when it weeps it will go on the ground and not in the cabinet and all over the electric components.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Good idea, bobpie. I've got a spare ball valve lying around, so I'm heading to the hardware store now to pick up a nipple.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I like this idea, but should we be concerned at all with electrolysis, if adding a brass drain-valve? Just a thought.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote