Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Power Gear slide maintenance

I started researching the PG slides tonight and found these two videos:

First, keep the slide button pressed fully until the slide motors turn off:

Second, resync the motors by rapidly cycling the switch until a click is heard:

Please ensure these videos pertain to your unit. Post other videos or tips if you have them.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What would be a consideration that would indicate you need to resync them?
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
What would be a consideration that would indicate you need to resync them?
On mine it was when the slide was coming in crooked. Actually it started moving then one side would stop for a second or two then start up again with one end leading, then when that leading side was either in or out the other side would continue until it was fully in or out.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
On mine it was when the slide was coming in crooked. Actually it started moving then one side would stop for a second or two then start up again with one end leading, then when that leading side was either in or out the other side would continue until it was fully in or out.

Same with me. I have not yet done the sync. Didn't know how till this posting. Great info! Also, this can cause the end bolts to snap. I have had problems with two slides. There are 4 bolts in 1/8" soft steel holding each slide rack to the wall. Do yourself a favor and look closely at each of these from the rear side view when you put the slides out. If you see any gap where the adjustment plate and rack arm meet remove the trim cover and inspect these bolts closely.

I use a 2x4 cut to the correct length to sit on a bottle jack. I place the 2x4 under a strong area near the arm and put just enough pressure on it to take up the weight of the slide.

Very carefully tighten the bolts. They will strip very easily. If they are pulled out some, chances are they are already stripping. I went one size bolt larger on some of my repairs.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Same with me. I have not yet done the sync. Didn't know how till this posting. Great info! Also, this can cause the end bolts to snap. I have had problems with two slides. There are 4 bolts in 1/8" soft steel holding each slide rack to the wall. Do yourself a favor and look closely at each of these from the rear side view when you put the slides out. If you see any gap where the adjustment plate and rack arm meet remove the trim cover and inspect these bolts closely.

I use a 2x4 cut to the correct length to sit on a bottle jack. I place the 2x4 under a strong area near the arm and put just enough pressure on it to take up the weight of the slide.

Very carefully tighten the bolts. They will strip very easily. If they are pulled out some, chances are they are already stripping. I went one size bolt larger on some of my repairs.
I’m having a bit of trouble understanding. Are the bolts you mention visible from the inside with the wire cover removed and the slide out?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I’m having a bit of trouble understanding. Are the bolts you mention visible from the inside with the wire cover removed and the slide out?

No. Outside. Look at the rack end under where it carries the slide. There is a support plate attached to the end of the rack and is located behind the trim. See if these pictures help. For some reason 2 of the pictures rotated when I uploaded. I wish I had better pictures of the failure.

Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160711_004.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	170551   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160711_005.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	170552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160711_006.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	170553   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160711_007.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	170554  

Old 11-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
No. Outside. Look at the rack end under where it carries the slide. There is a support plate attached to the end of the rack and is located behind the trim. See if these pictures help. For some reason 2 of the pictures rotated when I uploaded. I wish I had better pictures of the failure.

Rick Y
Thanks, now I know why I couldn’t understand. Mine isn’t like it. It has four trackers, two on each side wall.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks, now I know why I couldn’t understand. Mine isn’t like it. It has four trackers, two on each side wall.
You have no information about your coach in your profile or signature. Please update this information so we can all help answer your questions more intelligently. You don't have PowerGear slides. Lippert maybe?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
You don't have PowerGear slides. Lippert maybe?
Lippert owns Power Gear and Schwintec. So, I guess they are Lippert
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I started researching the PG slides tonight and found these two videos:

First, keep the slide button pressed fully until the slide motors turn off:

Second, resync the motors by rapidly cycling the switch until a click is heard:

Please ensure these videos pertain to your unit. Post other videos or tips if you have them.
I sure am glad we have this Forum - a question - this video indicates that these are Power Gear Slides, but I see that these slides have the gear bar on the slides and I thought that indicated Swinteck (sic) - Totally confused now - Can anyone explain this - thanx
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Lippert owns Power Gear and Schwintec. So, I guess they are Lippert

Yea, Bob. I can never remember how to spell Schwintec. lol. Lippert bought them both out a few years back. But the Lippert site is a hard one to navigate when trying to get to your particular manufacture and model. The information is there. You just can't get it with ease unless you do a direct search.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardroad View Post
I sure am glad we have this Forum - a question - this video indicates that these are Power Gear Slides, but I see that these slides have the gear bar on the slides and I thought that indicated Swinteck (sic) - Totally confused now - Can anyone explain this - thanx
As far as I know only the Lippert and Swintec have the track on the face of the slide side. PowerGear has the rack and pinion under the slide as I have posted above.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just spent $475 to have the ACME nut (on both front and rear arms) replaced on my 2008 29R front slide. The front ACME nut failed while the slide was out. I was able to manually push the forward arm of the slide in (while motor was engaged with the rear arm). Here's what my several hours of research yielded: Lippert owns PowerGear. The DigiSync ACME-nut-type screw is (I believe) produced by Actuant SVS part no. 9010000161 (Google and you may find a PDF file of the design). This is a newer modified design that uses two 5/16" clevis pins (former design was 1/4") to secure the ACME nut. Also, carefully check the adjustments for in/out...a broken flange (earlier post from jerichorick) might be an indication overworking the motor. Finally, I now use slide locks on both front and rear of the slide...I was surprised how much the slide can be moved when 'in'...driving rough roads last year in Alaska may have contributed to the failure of the ACME nut because of stress without locking the slide in place.

The PowerGear Schwintek design is a whole different animal than DigiSync ACME nut design.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
You have no information about your coach in your profile or signature. Please update this information so we can all help answer your questions more intelligently. You don't have PowerGear slides. Lippert maybe?
Sorry, no questions other than I couldn’t understand your explanation. My Vista has Power Gear slides, but they are a different type than yours. Mine has four bars, one at the top and bottom of each slide end wall.

The videos I posted links too said that they were for Power Gear slides. I didn’t know there was more than one style. I guess it is up to each owner to determine if the two videos pertain to their slides or not.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As far as I know only the Lippert and Swintec have the track on the face of the slide side. PowerGear has the rack and pinion under the slide as I have posted above.
The ‘17 and up Vista’s have Power Gear slides with four track bars on the side walls.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
And yet, the videos indicate that it is a Swintec because of the gear tracks on the outside of the slide - oh well.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Not from what I saw in the posted videos. In one outside shot of the slide coming in, it looked like the rail was mounted on the side. Will that sync method work for the rack & pinion style??
Old 11-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
Site Team

There are two types of Power Gear branded slides. “SlimRack” has four gear rails, two per side, one at the top and one at the bottom of the slide. Unlike Schwintec they are not mounted on the actual side of the slide but stand proud of the slide wall about an inch or so.

The Power Gear with rails under the slide is called a “Through Frame” slide out.

The Schwintec slide is now called “InWall” slide out.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for the succinct explanation!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The ‘17 and up Vista’s have Power Gear slides with four track bars on the side walls.
Actually the Power Gear Slimrack systems were started in 2016. I have them on my Sunova.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, power, power gear, slide