Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
2000 Adventurer 35U

antifreeze

After using the antifreeze suction fill system on my adventurer, do i need to put antifreeze in holding tanks , (black,grey fresh) also if so how much. I have never had this type of sysytem.
mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No. There is plenty of room for expansion in case there is any residual fluid in those tanks and it expands (freezes). Leave the fresh water drain valve open during storage. Close the holding tank valves as normal.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
I always put a cup or two in the toilet bowl (with the valve closed) to keep the seal moist. then close the lid.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Empty the tanks then put a cupful in each to protect the dump valve and drain pipe JIC. When you put anti-freeze into each sink drain it pushes out most of the water into the grey tank, the cup of anti-freeze already in the tank counteracts that bit of water. Remember the ounce of prevention saying?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pipes might break!

Put at least a quart in each drain (sinks and shower). The RV antifreeze is cheap and plumbing repair is not.
I learned my lesson with my first 35' motorhome. The large, "dump station" pipes froze and cracked. Those were very difficult to fix.
The antifreeze will protect the sink and shower traps and travel down to the dump area.
Don't get any antifreeze in the hot water heater. It will not harm it, but it's hard to flush it all out. The water heater must be drained or it may break.
Your owners manual should have instructions for all of this.
Good luck,
Richard