Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

In December on the way to FL the heat pumps would run but the fan wouldn't kick in and since no one in the Orlando area could look at it we scheduled an appointment in Thurmont MD.
We have been told that the heat pump fan works off the board.

Today with temps in the 80's the AC fan will not kick in. Same thing compressors run but no fan.We are going to leave for home Sunday.

I sent RV Products an email and will try to call them Monday. Does anyone have a tec support number for them or know if there is a fuse somewhere for the AC fan? We were told the AC fan works off the thermostat on the management center.

Perhaps the fan is frozen somehow, hope this isn't too expensive a deal as we have spent $$$$$$$$$$ this year on vendor problems.

Demensions Inverter, HWH hydraulic pump, Sharp Micro/Conv. Last coach we had an extended war never used it. Wish we would have gotten one for this unit. Oh well too late smart as the PA dutch say.
As much as we like the Tru Air I'm thinking our next coach will have 2 airs, at least you have something. When the basement unit quits you have nothing.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In December on the way to FL the heat pumps would run but the fan wouldn't kick in and since no one in the Orlando area could look at it we scheduled an appointment in Thurmont MD.
We have been told that the heat pump fan works off the board.

Today with temps in the 80's the AC fan will not kick in. Same thing compressors run but no fan.We are going to leave for home Sunday.

I sent RV Products an email and will try to call them Monday. Does anyone have a tec support number for them or know if there is a fuse somewhere for the AC fan? We were told the AC fan works off the thermostat on the management center.

Perhaps the fan is frozen somehow, hope this isn't too expensive a deal as we have spent $$$$$$$$$$ this year on vendor problems.

Demensions Inverter, HWH hydraulic pump, Sharp Micro/Conv. Last coach we had an extended war never used it. Wish we would have gotten one for this unit. Oh well too late smart as the PA dutch say.
As much as we like the Tru Air I'm thinking our next coach will have 2 airs, at least you have something. When the basement unit quits you have nothing.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The HeatPump and AC fans are one in the same so there is no surprise here. You were in Orlando Florida and more than likely suffered extended low power damage to the blower circuit. Most times it will be the starter capacitor set and sometimes the blower itself. If it is the starter caps set or even the board just about any handyman can replace the cap or board in less than 15 minutes without having to pull the unit as they only have to flip up the grill and open the access panel to do the work which involves removing three or four sheet metal screws. Many shysters will rip you off on these simple repairs claiming that these systems are very complex however they are really very simple and relatively easy to work on. Even if they have to pull the unit all that is required is to relieve the ductwork and loosen two jack bolts to lower the hinged frame that the basement air units sits on so the unit can slide right out onto a low work table. The power cable may be long enough to stay connected on some
Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Neil is correct...

It is probably a board or capacitor problem.

If you go to RVp's website (www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/rvp.php) you should find service documentation, and checklists.

You can follow the flowcharts and usually self diagnose the problem. I got my board through a local dealer at the time, but you can also order it form Listchstien or Mobility and they will ship it to you.

In my case it was the board, and there was an updated board available, which you probably have in an 04. The new board has diagnostic LEDS on it also. the board wasn't cheap, I think around $220.00. But pretty easy to install.

When ours went out, it was our outdoor fan relay on the board that failed. I was able to "Hotwire" the fan on while I waited for the parts.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you are capable, check for 12v at the thermostat. If you have 12v at the thermostat you have a bad thermostat.

Download the RVP Service Manual. The manual will help you diagnose your problem. The manual has a diagnostic chart for no hi/lo speed fan operation.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/tech_info/operation.php

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Update AC is working,DH pulled the thrmostat and fixed the fan for AC, will download the HP info off the site. THX for your help.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you are still in the Orlando Area and want service on your Coach A/C System I can reccommend Citrus Ridge RV Service, Aaron Ernst, 888-486-4900 or 863-557-4176.
He has done service work for us and we are very happy.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

....so I understand this is just an opinion.....before our Ellipse (basement air) and after our first coach (National Dolphin--basement air) we had a Monaco Cayman XL. Besides being a total lemon, both AC roof units failed (at different times) during summer weather. Let me assure you, there's a reason why there are two units on the roof of a class A motorhome; one will not even come close to doing the job.......in addition, there is a huge difference in the noise level (I think) the basement setup...especially on the Winne/Itascas is soooo much quieter. I hope Winnebago never changes this design. Just my two cents....
smike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thx Capn Chet, will keep his name handy. The only place I could find was up on Orange Blossom and they wouldn't look at the pumps said drop it off for a week or 2. Yeah Right lol. We are heading home so Carl will look at the heat pumps and if too difficult we already have an appointment at the service center.Mike I love Tru Air but for those of us on the road service can sometimes be a problem. We have had a number of rigs but this Journey has been a real pain. I think by the time we are finished most everything will have been replaced.