Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've got dampness(water leak?) in the front left small baggage compartment. Thinking about pealing off the carpet(bottom & sides) searching for a hole and filling with silicone. Wonder if it isn't the door seal? What's the best way diagnose? Got a good idea? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've got dampness(water leak?) in the front left small baggage compartment. Thinking about pealing off the carpet(bottom & sides) searching for a hole and filling with silicone. Wonder if it isn't the door seal? What's the best way diagnose? Got a good idea? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bill ...

My '04 Journey had a leak in the same compartment. The dealer found the cause "on the top" and caulked it ... the spray from the front wheel was leaking in from the top ...

I suggest you empty the compartment, put a trouble light in the comparment and turn it on at night ... if that doesn't show you the source of the leak then you may need to tear out the carpeting ...

Just because it is wet on the bottom does not mean the leak is on the bottom ... <span class="ev_code_red">gravity never takes a day off </span> ... at least it never does when I am on the golf course ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had a leak in the same compartment. As Skigramp says above put a lantern in the empty compartment at night & look for the light escaping. Mine turned out to be the area of the seal @ the bottom of the door where the two ends of the seal meet.

I have had some marginal success with stretching (pulling outward) on the seal when I close the hatch and pressing my knee against the door latches along the edge of the hatch instead of slamming the hatch cover or pressing my knee against the center of the door. Hope this helps!!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good ideas, both of you, Thanks. If the leak is on the top I guess you fix inside. I don't think I can get behind wheet on top with caulk? Will try trouble light tomorrow night.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had a similar problem with one of the compartments in front of a rear wheel. It turned out to be an open vertical seam near the top. I had to remove the carpet, reseal the top 2" of the seam with black RTV and reinstall the carpet.

The carpet can be easily removed by warming it with a hair dryer or heat gun. Once the carpet is removed be careful not to touch the glued side against anything. It can be reinstalled without any additional glue if it doesn't get dirty.

We resealed and reinstalled the carpet in ours 2 years ago and it still sealing fine.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I stopped similar leaks by going over all seams I could reach OUTSIDE the compartment with black silicone, then using a can of spray undercoat on the outside everywhere I could get to with the sprayer.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've had a massive leak in mine since i received it. Had the service center look at it several times. They first found a leak in the seam, then they adjusted the gasket and this time they found the "wiring harness" had been routed the wrong way and was causing the leak. Best of luck with yours....I think Winnie needs to look into this isssue and figure out why so many front left compartments have the same problem. ps...mine had a slow leak while sitting and flooded when driving.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tips guys. I have had one compartment that started leaking after coach was 18 months old. Thing is it only leaks about once per month. Now having read this post I am motivated to get about fixing it as soon as it warms up a bit more.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote