Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

LP Regulator

Hello,

I recently had a problem with my LP regulator. It was leaking and when I had it replaced we noticed it was filled of oil. I heard of a recall related to LP hoses but Winnebago ruled that out since my 2017 View G was built after the recall.

My RV repairman thought my LP tank could have been contaminated during a refill from a supplier who would have kept would oil at the bottom of his tank to prevent it to rust. He suggested that I have the whole system purged. I guess I'm going to have to go this way. What do you think?

This being said, I thing I should get a spare regulator on with me just in case I encounter the same type of problem. Amazon sells a few for a decent price. Camco 59313, 59323, etc. Does anybody know what model I should buy?

Thank you!
as000ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I dealt with the recall of the propane lines and oil in the regulator. Do not buy a cheap Camco regulator. I had mine replaced while traveling with a Camco and the problem returned. My local Wbago dealer replaced it with a Marshall regulator saying it is a better one than Wbago installs at the factory. I believe it's a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298. The technican also blew out the lines, and re-reouted the flexible lines to avoid dips in the line where oil could collect. Have had no problems in over a year since it was fixed. This whole situation was a common problem on View and Navion motorhomes, and you find more info than you care to read on the internet.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by as000ll View Post
Hello,

I recently had a problem with my LP regulator. It was leaking and when I had it replaced we noticed it was filled of oil. I heard of a recall related to LP hoses but Winnebago ruled that out since my 2017 View G was built after the recall.

My RV repairman thought my LP tank could have been contaminated during a refill from a supplier who would have kept would oil at the bottom of his tank to prevent it to rust. He suggested that I have the whole system purged. I guess I'm going to have to go this way. What do you think?

This being said, I thing I should get a spare regulator on with me just in case I encounter the same type of problem. Amazon sells a few for a decent price. Camco 59313, 59323, etc. Does anybody know what model I should buy?

Thank you!

Your oil in LP is common and, yes, contamination in the suppliers tank. I have had the problem and I have drained the oil out of the regulator with success. The tank cleared over time.

You need a 2 stage horizontal or vertical regulator, depending on the orientation of yours. Also, consider the total BTU you need at max consumption.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your oil in LP is common and, yes, contamination in the suppliers tank. I have had the problem and I have drained the oil out of the regulator with success. The tank cleared over time.

You need a 2 stage horizontal or vertical regulator, depending on the orientation of yours. Also, consider the total BTU you need at max consumption.
Hello jerichorick,

Thanks for your response. If I may ask... Did you have to go with a complete purge of the whole LP system (hoses and tank) or you just replaced the old regulator? My RV repairman told me to go with a complete purge (he was not able to do it himselfand refer me to a propane shop) which would mean to remove the LP tank and make sure there is no oil left in it... Quite a job and $$$ I assume...
Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hello jerichorick,

Thanks for your response. If I may ask... Did you have to go with a complete purge of the whole LP system (hoses and tank) or you just replaced the old regulator? My RV repairman told me to go with a complete purge (he was not able to do it himselfand refer me to a propane shop) which would mean to remove the LP tank and make sure there is no oil left in it... Quite a job and $$$ I assume...

Short answer: NO.
I first noticed the oil on the fitting going into my Weber gas grill. Then I had problems keeping it lit. I ordered a new regulator. While I was waiting for it to come in I decided to remove the output orifice of the regulator. The regulator was full of oil. I dumped it out, not a great volume, and let it drain for a while, tapping the output on a cloth and whipping things dry. Reassembled and reinstalled the regulator. The hose purged its self. The grill has been working fine since and I have had no more oil problems.
I had this same problem on my first coach with a propane generator. The regulator was replaced because it was full of oil. I noticed that the new regulator had a drain button on it. The generator quit again not long after the new $$$ regulator was installed. I pushed the button an a bunch of oil came out. That was the last of it and I had no more trouble.
As long as the oil is below the vapor tube it is not a problem. Keep cleaning your regulator. The tank will self purge. ALWAYS spray a soapy solution, dish detergent works well, on all the LP fittings. ALL of them you can see when you work on your system. Bubbles means a leak.
Working on these things is not rocket science. You must use common sense. Things like not forgetting to shut off the tank before working on the system, never try repairing the tank its self and testing all of your fittings directly after applying pressure to them, and from time to time after, are all smart moves.
You didn't say. Is your LP system working now with the new regulator?
A side note. I have seen LP tanks installed with a short dead-end pipe hanging down after the main regulator. This is a common practice on natural gas systems. The down pipe catches the oil over the years. I have not heard of these having to be cleaned out from time to time because the actual amount of oil collected is very small.

Hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.
Rick
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
You didn't say. Is your LP system working now with the new regulator?
A side note. I have seen LP tanks installed with a short dead-end pipe hanging down after the main regulator. This is a common practice on natural gas systems. The down pipe catches the oil over the years. I have not heard of these having to be cleaned out from time to time because the actual amount of oil collected is very small.

Hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.
Rick
Hello Rick,

Thx for this very valuable info. I did not really have any problems with any of my appliances or LP generator. The leak came from the regulator and cause the pressure in the system to be too high (20 WC instead of 11). The mobile repairman changed the regulator but did not reconnect it to the system since he assumed I would go to a propane shop for a purge of the whole system.

I do have a dead-end pipe installed beside my tank. There is a sort of a cap at the bottom of it and I may be able to remove with a pipe wrench. I think I will just do that and see it there is oil inside. If it's only a small amount, maybe I could just reconnect my regulator and check it once in a while (as you did) and let the oil go out. What do you think?

Luc
Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hello Rick,

Thx for this very valuable info. I did not really have any problems with any of my appliances or LP generator. The leak came from the regulator and cause the pressure in the system to be too high (20 WC instead of 11). The mobile repairman changed the regulator but did not reconnect it to the system since he assumed I would go to a propane shop for a purge of the whole system.

I do have a dead-end pipe installed beside my tank. There is a sort of a cap at the bottom of it and I may be able to remove with a pipe wrench. I think I will just do that and see it there is oil inside. If it's only a small amount, maybe I could just reconnect my regulator and check it once in a while (as you did) and let the oil go out. What do you think?

Luc

Your welcome, Luc. Please make certain that your tank is shut off before you remove the cap. With the cap off, you could open the tank valve briefly to see if any more oil comes out. Just be certain that there are no ignitions sources nearby.

Rick