Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Pressure regulator

Does anyone have a good idea for a pressure water regulator. It seems that every one I've had lasts about 6 months and then slowly shuts off the water flow. Granted I've only used the brass tube type and plastic ones, and haven't tried a bunch.
Thanks, Cork
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post
Does anyone have a good idea for a pressure water regulator. It seems that every one I've had lasts about 6 months and then slowly shuts off the water flow. Granted I've only used the brass tube type and plastic ones, and haven't tried a bunch.

Thanks, Cork

Go to Lowes or HD or equal and get a whole house type like Watts. Get fittings to plumb it up for hose bib type fittings and you will be done forever. The little straight through cheap one are really flow limiters.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Go to Lowes or HD or equal and get a whole house type like Watts. Get fittings to plumb it up for hose bib type fittings and you will be done forever. The little straight through cheap one are really flow limiters.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Get the 1/2" model. I have mine set up with in and out gauges so I know what the inrush pressure is and I can correctly set the out pressure. The standard hose regulators are not much good in my opinion. I have also incorporated plastic quick release fittings found in the hose section of HD or Lowe's.

Have a happy new year and many happy trails to come.

Rick Y
Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem. The Valterra regulator with gage will cure your problem.
Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive
dconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconley View Post
I had the same problem. The Valterra regulator with gage will cure your problem.
Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive
x2!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You can purchase a watts regulator with fittings from the RV Water Filter Store. Here is link to their selection of regulators: https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/P...Regulators.htm
Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconley View Post
X3,
I've had one of these now for about 4 years and so far, it's working flawless. I can adjust the pressure up a tad or, down, depending on what the incoming pressure is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post

Thanks, Cork
What you have been getting are water restrictors versus water pressure regulators.

Someone previously posted the best place to get a true pressure regulator which is the RV Water Filter Store.

It will be the last one you will ever need to purchase unless you happen to forget to remove it from the water spigot before leaving your site.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What you have been getting are water restrictors versus water pressure regulators.

Someone previously posted the best place to get a true pressure regulator which is the RV Water Filter Store.

It will be the last one you will ever need to purchase unless you happen to forget to remove it from the water spigot before leaving your site.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Or you let it freeze..... Don't ask how I know!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
X3,
I've had one of these now for about 4 years and so far, it's working flawless. I can adjust the pressure up a tad or, down, depending on what the incoming pressure is.
Scott
Not sure why you would want to adjust the pressure up a tad or down....

If you set the regulator at say 40 lbs, then if the incoming pressure is more, the regulator will keep it at 40...if the incoming pressure is less, changing the regulator a tad can't make the incoming pressure any more.

I set mine at 60 (per our MH owner's manual instruction) and just leave it there no matter where I'm parked for the night, week, or month. I will always have 60 lbs or less.

I too recommend the Valterra with gauge.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I made up a system with a Watts house regulator, a whole house filter and a pressure gage. Quick disconnects on the in and out sides. Set it a plastic milk crate and it's good to go.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Pressure regulators 101
Standard: A brass or plastic cylinder with male and female ends, about 3/4 inch in diamater: This is junk, do not buy one
High-Flow Like above with either wings on the body or a bright color grip on the female end: This is also junk, not quite as bad but still junk.

Valterra adjustable: I have never owned one but have heard good things

Watts and Zurin 1/2 inch or larger (mine are 3/4 inch) with hose adapters added: These... Well when new this is what happened.

I hooked it to the park (Roughly 100 PSI) and hooked a pressure meter up using a "Y" to the outlet.. Set it to 50 PSI static

Opened the valve for the outside shower and watched the meter.. Sit there like it was glued to 50 PSI.

This puppy set me back about 60-70 dollars (With adapters) but that is how they work when new,, as they age they do start to restrict flow a bit but they can be rebuilt.. I am looking for a rebulid kit (not very hard) for my Watts unit,, when new it did that too, it is now 9 years old, I replaced it with the Zurin last winter,, Useful life is around 5-6 years before the reduction gets objectionable.