Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How do adjust the air pressure for the air hose connections?

2004 Winnebago Journey. I have air hose connections in the front and in the back. My RV came with a hose and the tool to put air in the tires, but the pressure on the gauge in the front of the RV is only at 60 lbs. I need to bump that up to be able to put air in my tires, but there is no obvious dial like there is on a regular air compressor. I'm assuming the pressure is coming from the generator, but there is nothing in the manual about adjusting the pressure. Can someone please tell me how to adjust it??
TIA
jefflbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am far from an expert on this and am sure folks who know more will come on with more detailed info.

Heres what my 07 Meridians front air connection does. The air pressure comes from the air compressor that runs when the engine is running. Its the same compressor that inflates your air bags and runs the brakes. To my limited knowledge there is no way to dial in more or less pressure as on a stand alone compressor. I can not remember what the dial pressure reading is but I believe its over 100 psi.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That must have been my problem.......... I didn't have the engine running...... UH!! I just assumed it got it's power from the generator. I had a feeling it was something simple like that........... Thanks!!
jefflbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If we are talking about the same regulator and small air pressure gauge that is mounted on the external firewall in front of the steering wheel, that is for the air-powered step cover and generator slide mechanism. Winnebago says the step cover air pressure regulator should be set at 45 PSI while the drive engine is running.
It is not an air supply for airing-up things.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ray,
The earlier Journeys (and other Winnes and Itascas) were air actuated step covers. Around '04 they changed to electric operated ones. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it has an electric operated step. The air manifold in the left front section of the dash can be used either for air insertion or air supply. I have two manifolds in the front of ours. One is on the left side and has only a Schrader valve on it. The other is way more elaborate with a backing plate, gauge and quick release fitting for an air hose. And the gauge does go to 130 psi when the coach air system is topped off.

But, neither station (manifold) can be used for air insertion (from a tow truck) if the system be below 60 psi. When that happens, air to fill the system must be inserted at the Schrader valve on the air dryer. Once above 65-70 psi, then the air can be inserted into either of the front manifolds.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Ray,
The earlier Journeys (and other Winnes and Itascas) were air actuated step covers. Around '04 they changed to electric operated ones. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it has an electric operated step. The air manifold in the left front section of the dash can be used either for air insertion or air supply. I have two manifolds in the front of ours. One is on the left side and has only a Schrader valve on it. The other is way more elaborate with a backing plate, gauge and quick release fitting for an air hose. And the gauge does go to 130 psi when the coach air system is topped off.

But, neither station (manifold) can be used for air insertion (from a tow truck) if the system be below 60 psi. When that happens, air to fill the system must be inserted at the Schrader valve on the air dryer. Once above 65-70 psi, then the air can be inserted into either of the front manifolds.
Scott
OK, I learned something new again today. After all these years I learn something every time I sign-into the forums.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote