Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Does anyone know how to recharge a AC unit?

Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Are you referring to the chassis/rooftop/basement or a house unit? If it is a roof top unit then forget it as they do not have charging ports installed and costs more labor to find leak and repair than a new unit would probably cost. A basement unit is recharged same way house unit is thru charging ports. Chassis unit has ports for recharging but depends on what refrigerant is used for type of port. Old units might have R-12 which is a screw on port and 1996 on use R-134 which has a snap on port. R-134 is available about anywhere and R-12 can only be obtained by a licensed tech. ( don't want to go there due to extremely high price)
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes I know how and if you are having to ask, the best advice is to hire someone to do it, because handling a refrigerant can be dangerous and you can do more damage than the cost of a repairmen.

Ken
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes but not something you learn to do by reading a few posts. This is way techs go to school and are licensed.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK, First I am not challenging anyone, but, has anyone, recently, obtained a real quote from a reliable HVAC person with respect to installing the valves necessary, fixing the leak, and then charging the unit. An HVAC unit is an HVAC unit. I know it is "common knowledge" but where does this knowledge originate - from the guys that sell new units that don't have qualified techs to charge units in the first place (perhaps)?

Casual browsing of the internet reveals that new units cost anywhere from $700 to $1200 and that does not include sealant, gaskets, labor, etc. I don't need anything like that right now, but I sometimes wonder if we are right when we say, MYSELF included: "Don't bother they can't be recharged and it's cheaper just to buy a new one".

I am just wondering if that is still true or just something we have ALL been saying for so long that it has become "questionable fact"?

Just curious I used to think the earth was flat 'cause I would meet people in RV parks and then they would drive away and I would never see or hear from them again . . . I figgered they done drove off the edge

stik
09 Journey 34Y draggin' a Jeep Liberty
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
OK, First I am not challenging anyone, but, has anyone, recently, obtained a real quote from a reliable HVAC person with respect to installing the valves necessary, fixing the leak, and then charging the unit.

stik
09 Journey 34Y draggin' a Jeep Liberty
Answer to your question is YES! I called local RV sales & service, who recommended a A/C repair shop, who recommended the mobile repair guy. The repair guy I chose works mainly on ThermoKing semi-trucks, but had everything on his truck needed for my rv repair.

Last Nov my basement quit cooling because of a freon leak. I pulled the unit myself and had a mobile a/c guy do the repair right at my house. He fixed the leak, installed a schrader valve, and new freon.....total cost was $110. One compressor rubbed a hole in #2 compressor line.

Three yrs ago I had my 1st a/c problem and I documented the repair process in a step-by-step procedure with photos. Many forum members have used the procedure to successfully make the repairs and saved hundreds of $$'s. I suggest that you download the pdf from my website, the link is in my signature below. Take a look at it and I think it will take some of the mystery out of the basement aspect of these units.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 07-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Answer to your question is YES! I called local RV sales & service, who recommended a A/C repair shop, who recommended the mobile repair guy. The repair guy I chose works mainly on ThermoKing semi-trucks, but had everything on his truck needed for my rv repair.

Last Nov my basement quit cooling because of a freon leak. I pulled the unit myself and had a mobile a/c guy do the repair right at my house. He fixed the leak, installed a schrader valve, and new freon.....total cost was $110. One compressor rubbed a hole in #2 compressor line.

Three yrs ago I had my 1st a/c problem and I documented the repair process in a step-by-step procedure with photos. Many forum members have used the procedure to successfully make the repairs and saved hundreds of $$'s. I suggest that you download the pdf from my website, the link is in my signature below. Take a look at it and I think it will take some of the mystery out of the basement aspect of these units.

Good luck,
Bill
Sorry Bill, my bad! My whole response was aimed toward roof mounted a/c repairs. I was thinking half and writing the other half - doh!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

service ports

there must be a way, because on my MH 85 elandan the roof units both have a screw valve added to the line that you use to recharge the units, so if you add some to find the leak, then you should be able to have a tech fix the leak and recharge.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

There are books you can check out of the library (Physical library) there are likely instructions on the internet.. I learned how to do it ... Long ago.. by a combination of reading and watching professionals.

However there have been some legal changes since then. R-12, used to be on the shelf at every auto supply, I could buy it in big bottles if I wished.. Today you have to be a licensed air conditioner serviceman and it costs... Well, it COSTS!!!.

Of course there are other refrigerants in use as well. But some of them also are sold only to the pro's. Thus today My advice sir, is hire it done.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #10

Can still by R-12 in Mexico for couple dollars a pound.(no EPA)
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The reason R12 is so expensive is that the unit has to be purged and freon captured for disposal at an auth. station. The gov't deemed it a hazard to be discharged into the air like it's been done for decades. and only special trained tech's can recharge the unit in case some of the freon escapes.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
The reason R12 is so expensive is that the unit has to be purged and freon captured for disposal at an auth. station. The gov't deemed it a hazard to be discharged into the air like it's been done for decades. and only special trained tech's can recharge the unit in case some of the freon escapes.
It might be because there is no more being made and the last of was made years ago. (called Supply and Demand)

BTW most, if not all, roof/residential AC used R22 - not R12. Modern units likely use R410

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just had mine repaired for $350. It was a mess though. After the valve was installed the process had to be repeated several times because there were multiple cracks in different locations. He ended up replacing a lot of the copper plumbing. It works great now.
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook elandan View Post
there must be a way, because on my MH 85 elandan the roof units both have a screw valve added to the line that you use to recharge the units, so if you add some to find the leak, then you should be able to have a tech fix the leak and recharge.
I too have a elandan, and with two AC units, the question remains. How does one recharge them?
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnabango View Post
I too have a elandan, and with two AC units, the question remains. How does one recharge them?
A Schrader valve must be added and then the unit can be recharged.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Having been involved with the A/C business for years, I can tell you that it is against the law for any unlicensed person to buy or sell R-12 in the US. Even if you can find someone to sell to you it will likely be over $60.00 per pound. Also be carefull some people were selling propane in R-12 containers. You can at a refrigeration supply house buy the valves to tap the lines. Really easy to do but the potential to screw things up big time is there particularly if you are just guessing about how much freon to add.

Any shop that can fix refrigerators or window air conditioners can do it for you if they are willing to get on the roof to do it.

Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #17

Roy's right. But if you have a roof top that was using R-12 it's got to be too old to even mess with.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Roy, the roof top units are R-22 and only the newer units are R-4XX series.

The saddle clamp valves are a temporary and it is not a matter of ithey will leah, but when they will leak. Once you have the saddle valve on the unit, you have to remove the refrigerant, sweep the unit with nitrogen, solder in a Schrader valve on the compressor inlet and one on the outlet. Next you leak check the unit and then you pull it into a vacuum to get the nitrogen and moisture out. Now you get to recharge the unit with more R-22. You either have to have a weight-charge device or know how to read the gauges and amps and charge the unit the old fashioned way.

As Roy said the potential for messing things up is pretty high for the non-experienced.

A decent technician can do this in a couple of hours if he does not have any problems.

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Your answers have been pretty good. The question is no how to recharge your AC, the real question is why it needs to be recharged. Adding coolent to an automotive unit is pretty straight forward and if your rooftop unit has a VERY slow leak charging it may also make sense.

The problem is that if you don't know why it needs to be charged that may not be the problem at all. Or said another way, simply adding coolent may not be a fix at all.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #20

If a picture is worth a million words. Man;; Fabulise ; Now My question is can the compressors be lubed/ How; Dose the unit have to be removed // ????
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote