Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

can I continue driving with delamination?

We have a 24-ft Itasca. It has delamination in the rear quarter panel drivers side. We can't tell the cause, but we still want to travel for short road trips.
It's a 2002 that happens to be in great shape (engine, tranny, low mileage.) Is it worth it to have repaired?

What is the worst that can happen if we drive? Thanks for any assistance & advice. --=Ray=--
rgbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A picture of the damaged area would help, but the most likely answer is 'Yes, keep driving it for as long as you want'. There are all kinds of RVs on the road that have some delamination.
Though it would be prudent to find the leak (the likely cause) and get it fixed so that you don't end up with a real structural problem due to rot.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Unless the delamination is large and such that the 60 mph wind from driving can get underneath the siding and rip it off, it shouldn't be a problem. My 2002 has several spots where there's delamination (the largest is a little over one square foot). They were there when I bought it in 2017 and haven't changed since then. They are less apparent in colder weather which makes sense.

Most are near an edge of a panel so, someday, when I've taken care of everything else, I'm going to try to fix them. You can find DIY videos on Youtube and postings on Winnieowners, IRV2, etc. on how to fix them.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I hope so, i have been doing it for years. But as noted above how bad is it. I have never seen it so bad that it would impact the structural integrity, it just looks bad.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 2002 Sightseer is the same. Was that way when I bought it three years ago, and hasn't gotten any worse. Delamination starts a little above the gravity water filler port and stops at the bottom of the panel about 18 inches forward of the rear bumper. The corner cap trim actually keeps the surface panel from coming loose, so I don't worry about it. I would like to repair it for appearance sake. The DIY fix video mentioned above appeared to get satisfactory results.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

To answer the question of whether or not it is worth having it repaired, probably not, but an estimate would let you make an intelligent decision. On the other hand, it's worth doing it yourself if you have the inclination and time.

You haven't said how big it is or posted a photo so it's impossible to say how it might affect re-sale.

Additionally, if it's old and hasn't changed over time, you can live with it. If it's fairly new, you need to check for leaks and fix them asap.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote