Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Saw a couple of new 38J Itascas & Winnies last weekend. Noticed that the water heater is now in a cabinet just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Went to open the cabinet door and couldn't. No hand latch. The cover is secured by three screws, making your water heater pretty tough to get to...
Why do Winnie engineers/designers do this stuff? Do they think the water heater is so trouble-free that we owners don't need access anymore?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Saw a couple of new 38J Itascas & Winnies last weekend. Noticed that the water heater is now in a cabinet just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Went to open the cabinet door and couldn't. No hand latch. The cover is secured by three screws, making your water heater pretty tough to get to...
Why do Winnie engineers/designers do this stuff? Do they think the water heater is so trouble-free that we owners don't need access anymore?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

"Greyhound" has a 38J perhaps he can give us a reason why he thinks that compartment is like that. I'll be in Forest City in about 10 days and I'll see if I can check that out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks in advance driver. I saw the door panel was hinged, but it had no lift assist cylinders either.
I always drain my fresh water tank and water heater after every campout... So having WH access would be real selling point for me. (About as important as a driver's door, which I love).
Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

DriVer,

Please let us know if Winnebago is going to provide a fix.

This is a feature that I and many others would like to have.
Dave & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was at a MH plant and the tour guy said they did not put a handle on their door (which was hiding the backside of the grey/black tanks and pump) because they didn't want people to open up a door and then see the "ugly" stuff...what a bunch of baloney...I presume they were trying to save a few bucks...BTW, this was not a winnie plant...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the 38J Adventurer and when I was in Forest City last month, I inquired as to why there was no immediate access to the water heater and received a variety of answers, all of which made no sense.
Seems Winnebago felt this was an area that required little or no access, so they opted to make it difficult to access.
Using this logic, maybe next year we will see this set up for the generator.
I intend to replace the screws with wing nuts which will make opening the door a little easier.
Bob Beitler
President, WCMC
Old 06-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hey DriVer, did you get any straight talk from Winnie on this at Forest City?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Saw the new '06 models, and they seem to have come to the unerstanding that the screw method was silly.

The doors that I saw were clad with real live latches!

On an interesting aside, from the "Its about time someone woke up" department, the water heater doors now sport a horizontal "Slit vent" to allow air in to the area in front of the heater door, allowing it to stop that infernal loud combustion noise.

Its about time.

Now where is that sawzall....

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote