Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

water valve?

We are new to the RV world. We have a 89 Chieftian than needs some TLC. Their are three water valves that I believe are for winterization. The problem is that they leak and need to be replaced. I'm constantly loosing pressure and I don't want to burnout the water pump. 1. does anyone know the REAL name for these? 2. where can I buy them?
schief1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is this near the water heater so they might be to bypass the heater?
This may be a tough item to get much info on official names and many of them will not be available but they are also often things which we can switch and use regular valves from local hardwares.
The problem with good info is that the age puts it back into when they did not use online and used microfiche cards for that. Really old and lacking for info. But if you can get some pictures of the valves and tell us more about the location some folks can start on and ID and suggestions. If it is the bypass, there is a kit which can be added for this purpose, but first step is knowing which valves and what they do. Maybe a search for "rv water heater bypass valves" will show something you might spot?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

water valve

New to the forum still, I THINK I have attached the pictures of the water valves that I'm having issues with. It sounds like I might need to run with a different style. Still, I would like anyone's recommendation of what and where.
"pin" up, pump off = water pours from coach to the ground
"pin" up, pump on = water pours from coach to the ground
"pin" down, pump on = water dribbles from coach to the ground
"pin" down, pump off = coach and ground is dry
still I'm not 100% sure what these are called or what the purposes they serve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	174668   Click image for larger version

Name:	water 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	174669  

schief1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

From what you showed and how you explained what happens, I would call them your "low point drain" valves. Those valves are used when winterizing or de-winterizing your system. There purpose is to drain the excess water from the lines.

From the picture it almost looks like they unscrew, if so I would unscrew one of them and go to big box store and find some type of valve that would fit the threads. No need to find the same type just any valve will work.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, I fully agree with BeHappy on just replacing. Looks like one is capped off, so I might just ignore it as possible it was meant for an option or use like sucking antifreeze in through a tube.
But for a replacement, I would look for a "ball valve" that has fittings at the end to match you tubes. Something like this ,maybe with the fittings to adapt it to your size tube:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerk...dalType=drawer
Old 08-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On the other hand, maybe we need to look closer as these are not a valve I'm used to seeing.
Is it possible that the handle up or down is not actually moving the ball inside and should be turned to close or open the valves?
Old 08-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Those look like T-shaped valves so you should also look under the coach to see if you can figure out what goes through the floor and comes out underneath. I agree that they seem like low point drains. As an interim patch for the leak if you don't plan on draining your water lines for awhile, you could unscrew the water lines from the valves and replace with short sections of regular threaded pipe to bypass the valves. Also, if you could get the valve out, you might be able to take off the cap where the pull ring is connected and replace some worn out o-rings in the valve.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Those look like T-shaped valves so you should also look under the coach to see if you can figure out what goes through the floor and comes out underneath. I agree that they seem like low point drains.
That was sort of my thought, and perhaps the third one is to drain the water heater. I've not seen anything quite like that.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

As another thought, if you have good access to what is under the coach floor where the drain lines come out, you could replace the leaking valves in the coach with a regular Tee fitting and then add regular straight on/off valves under the coach. I also did a search for RV low point t-valve with pull ring and found a number of links and pictures of similar valves. I did not see any that had threads for the water lines - most used clamps of some sort but I did a very quick search.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
As another thought, if you have good access to what is under the coach floor where the drain lines come out, you could replace the leaking valves in the coach with a regular Tee fitting and then add regular straight on/off valves under the coach.
Excellent idea. I was wondering how you'd find a replacement. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that since that's basically how mine is setup!
Old 08-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Putting the valves underneath is not where I would call them handy so I would go with replacing at this location if they can't be cleaned and repaired. PVC is my choice for cheap and simple to use but exactly what parts are needed depends on what I find handy.
some combo of slip, barb, or threaded as long as the combo matches each other.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Putting the valves underneath is not where I would call them handy . . ..
It really depends. The valve I mentioned on mine is for the fresh water tank. The low point drains are different, but to access those I have to remove a panel, which requires removing some screws. So the one underneath is much handier than the ones inside.

Tags
water