Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Storage covers

Hello everybody. We are new members and new to the Travel trailer experience. Today we are picking up our 2019 MicroMinnie 2108DS. Before we get into a debate about whether we should have an RV cover, we need to tell you that we live in BC, Canada where we have rain 8 months of the year. (Basically we live in a rainforest). We will be storing our Hunnypot in a heavily treed backyard, so therefore we feel that a storage cover is necessary. For those of you who agree that covers are useful, I am open to what you feel would be the best cover for rain and tree protection.

We are happy to be a part of this community. Already we have gained a lot of knowledge by searching your forums.

Thank you
Hunny Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'd like to know what the arguments are against them. And FWIW, I think they are probably more necessary for the sun than the rain.

I haven't had mine long enough to give an opinion on it. I put in on maybe about two months ago, not during the Winter. I've gone inside a couple of times since, and everything seems fine. The air isn't stale or anything.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Covers trap moisture and create wear points on the exterior of the RV. Not to mention they must be strongly secured against the wind - which then means if you want to get inside the RV while it's in storage you have to undo part of that.

There are lots of cons to an RV cover - in my experience there are not many pluses. Same goes for car covers.

Your mileage may vary.

Here's a big discussion about it on www.irv2.com
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/rv-c...no-470587.html
Old 06-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Covers can be great but that is after they are on or off, not the getting them there, but that is not the current question.
What is the best? I will no longer go with any cover other than a solid carport type cover, even though expensive to do one, it is also expensive to do without one. My current RV is out in the Texas sun and it is costing me but a cloth cover is no longer what I call usable and a solid cover is not possible in the storagelocation, so I bite the bullet and assume I will pay the price for downgraded appearance on resale.
I find cloth covers are too risky for me climbing on the roof and impossible to do with ladders. Too many obstacles on the roof to throw it up and pull it across.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage