Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Fox
Winnebago Camper

Scared of slideouts!

I am ready to buy a new Minnie Winnie. I am torn between a 22M and a 22R. I like the holding tank on the 22M but I am afraid of the slide out on the 22R. What if the slide out fails? Is there a way you can retract it manually???

New to motor homes.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

One of the bigger issues we have when folks post is that we don't get enough info to give good answers. If we know what year, make and model we can give better answers than if we are forced to guess.
On your post, I "assumed" a 2020 model year but don't find a manual for a 2020 Minnie Winnie.
Best I can do with limited info is give this site for Winnebago info and part of that is the owners manuals:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools/service
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I really wish slide outs were all manual! Or at least that power was an option. I can't imagine it would be that difficult and you could possibly notice when something started to go wrong before it actually broke. And it wouldn't leave you scrambling to remember where the manual override is.

But we live in a world where people are lazy and even SUV liftgates are motorized.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fox, here is a link to the 2020 Minnie Winnie and section 10 has information on the Power Gear slide outs.

It states that there is an emergency retraction procedure and it is located in the "Info Guide," that Winnebago issues with each motorhome. In all my years I have always seen a way to manually retract a slideout on Winnebago motorhomes.

My suggestion is to call Winnebago using this contact list and their customer care center. The customer care representatives typically work from home so this virus situation should not be a problem when calling them.

Good luck on you purchase.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Slide outs can be a problem. But think about it... you don't see many (any) posts on RV Forums that say, "I can't get my slide out in so I"ve had to just walk away and leave it."

Perhaps you'd be happier with a Class B?

We had 3 travel trailers without slide outs - then we've had 2 motorhomes with multiple slide outs. I've had a few issues with them in the past 5 years. But I've never been stuck with them out or in.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Slide outs can be a problem. But think about it... you don't see many (any) posts on RV Forums that say, "I can't get my slide out in so I"ve had to just walk away and leave it."
Too bad. We might get some good buys!

Quote:
We had 3 travel trailers without slide outs - then we've had 2 motorhomes with multiple slide outs. I've had a few issues with them in the past 5 years. But I've never been stuck with them out or in.
For me the bigger issue is the increased weight and also that some have to be pulled out to make the RV livable, or even to get to the bathroom! That's the worst!

I would have preferred no slide out, but mine is just for a couch and the only thing inaccessible when it is in would be one cabinet and the TV. I consider the latter an advantage!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Team

The new gearing in the 22M slide-out is very reliable. The old slide-out gearing system had to rely on a slide-out dimensional tolerance of ±¼"; something with which many manufacturers had trouble. You will notice that the 22M tracks float on end-pinning, and the racks can adapt to a much greater slide-out tolerance. Get the 22M with the E-450 tonnage; you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Too bad. We might get some good buys!

For me the bigger issue is the increased weight and also that some have to be pulled out to make the RV livable, or even to get to the bathroom! That's the worst!

I would have preferred no slide out, but mine is just for a couch and the only thing inaccessible when it is in would be one cabinet and the TV. I consider the latter an advantage!
Oh so right. My MH is 43 feet. My driver side slide starts at the back of the driver seat and goes to the wall of the rear bath. It has the TV (love it in the slide) recliner, dinning table, refrigerator, hers and hers closets, vanity, and above and below storage. It is huge. I do prefer the slideout though. So much more room. I call it the dance floor in the living room.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

And our 'dance floor' can be fairly easily retracted manually with the flip of the motor levers and some wrenches (after you pull off the slideout ram face trim). Nice feature - but sure do like the push-button option!

Whatever slide mechanism you get learn the process for keeping slide seals and tracks/gears clean and watch out for debris/toys/clothes getting under the slide out. After all that they work pretty well.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Slides are ubiquitous...walk around any campground and the vast majority of campers will have at least 1 slide. I admit some paranoia myself when switching over to Minnie Winnie from a non-Slide Lazy Daze. 4 years into the journey, we've only had 1 X that we had a slide issue. (Forest City fixed it at no charge and it was a fluke, a seal cut incorrectly at the factory). We've been through innumerable downpours and always amazed at how dry everything stays inside. Our 31D is fully operational (except 1 small utensil drawer) with all slides in, a must for us. The process of extending the slides and putting things in place takes less than 10 minutes, and well worth it. The extra room has multiple benefits not the least of which is the ability to some modest exercises in side the RV. Your concern is understandable, but I would recommend getting the slide option for the extra space it gives you.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout