Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Jim

Not so new - Micro Minnie 2108DS

Hello all. Took a early retirement and started looking for different ways to see the country other than on a Harley (had to give it up). After a few months of studying the TT I settled on a Micro Minnie 2108DS. One thing I learned from Harley forums is the amount of invaluable info available. Before I pull the trigger on the Micro I knew the forum would be the place to get some details. Thanks in advance to all those that have contributed for the info available here.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome, there are a few active threads in the travel trailer section detailing the positives and negatives mini owners have found.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimroxstone View Post
Hello all. Took a early retirement and started looking for different ways to see the country other than on a Harley (had to give it up). After a few months of studying the TT I settled on a Micro Minnie 2108DS. One thing I learned from Harley forums is the amount of invaluable info available. Before I pull the trigger on the Micro I knew the forum would be the place to get some details. Thanks in advance to all those that have contributed for the info available here.
Are you buying a new 2021? There’s already a recall on the axle.

WINNEBAGO TOWABLE

Trailers Built with Undersized Axles

If the axle breaks, it could result in serious injury or death.

Potential Number of Units Affected: 106

Winnebago is recalling certain 2021 Micro Minnie trailers. These trailers were built with undersized axles that may not support the weight of the vehicle and could break.

“Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will replace the 2,500-pound rated axle with the correct 4,000-pound rated axle, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a schedule for recall notification. Owners may contact Winnebago customer service at 1-641-585-6939 or 1-800-537-1885.”
Old 12-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Jim

Thanks for the info, great stuff that's why I'm here. I did see in the specs where it looked like they changed the new models to a little lighter axle. I also heard some were getting sent out with wrong axles but that kind of difference is just plain neglectful. Haven't bought one yet, but I am in the process of dealing with four different dealers working on the best deal.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Navy NFO 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Are you buying a new 2021? There’s already a recall on the axle.

WINNEBAGO TOWABLE

Trailers Built with Undersized Axles

If the axle breaks, it could result in serious injury or death.

Potential Number of Units Affected: 106

Winnebago is recalling certain 2021 Micro Minnie trailers. These trailers were built with undersized axles that may not support the weight of the vehicle and could break.

“Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will replace the 2,500-pound rated axle with the correct 4,000-pound rated axle, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a schedule for recall notification. Owners may contact Winnebago customer service at 1-641-585-6939 or 1-800-537-1885.”
I recall the saleman stating on my 2020 Minni Winnie 2108DS that in order to get the empty weight (EVWR I believe) below the 5000# capacity for many of the SUV's to use as haulers, they changed the axles to a lighter axle. So, if they replace the axles to the heavier capacity version, will they renew the sticker on the trailer to a heavier EVWR?? How will that affect many of us with concerns about towing capacity of our SUV??
reiberc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I'm not sure where to begin so here goes. First there's no such thing as EVWR it's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and it's just that a rating. It means that is the heaviest a fully loaded vehicle can weigh. There is a sticker with this information on it at the front driver side of the trailer. Winnebago messed up on some builds and used lower rated axles than called for. Now Winnebago says they did lower the axle ratings on some Micro Minnies to improve the ride performance of the trailer. A heavy axle was causing a bumpy trailer ride. This had little to do with the trailers weight except that a 3000# axle is not quite as heavy as a 3700# axle. Now, Winnebago marketing idiots thought that they should lower the GVWR on Micro Minnies even lower that what the axles can carry to attract buyers with lower capacity tow vehicles. Did I say they were idiots? Oh, yea. If your loaded travel trailers weights are below its GVWR and within the towing limits of your tow vehicle you are good to go even if your tow vehicle tow rating is below the GVWR of the trailer. One should compare ratings to actual weights, not ratings to ratings. However, Winnebago thinks people are looking at the GVWR and if its over their tow vehicles tow rating they won't buy it. If I buy a 2108FBS with two 3000lb axles they give it a GVWR of only 5500lbs. But if it was a minnie instead of a mico minnie or Hike they would give it a GVWR of 6000# because they are after a different market. To top it all off they insist that the GVWR they give does not include hitch weight. Try explaining that to the policeman writing you a ticket for being overweight. Did I say they were idiots. Oh, some early 2021 model year 2108FBS trailers have 3700# axles with a GVWR of 7000#. If I weren't bald I'd pull my hair out.
Tx_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Clint View Post
I'm not sure where to begin so here goes. First there's no such thing as EVWR it's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and it's just that a rating. It means that is the heaviest a fully loaded vehicle can weigh. There is a sticker with this information on it at the front driver side of the trailer. Winnebago messed up on some builds and used lower rated axles than called for. Now Winnebago says they did lower the axle ratings on some Micro Minnies to improve the ride performance of the trailer. A heavy axle was causing a bumpy trailer ride. This had little to do with the trailers weight except that a 3000# axle is not quite as heavy as a 3700# axle. Now, Winnebago marketing idiots thought that they should lower the GVWR on Micro Minnies even lower that what the axles can carry to attract buyers with lower capacity tow vehicles. Did I say they were idiots? Oh, yea. If your loaded travel trailers weights are below its GVWR and within the towing limits of your tow vehicle you are good to go even if your tow vehicle tow rating is below the GVWR of the trailer. One should compare ratings to actual weights, not ratings to ratings. However, Winnebago thinks people are looking at the GVWR and if its over their tow vehicles tow rating they won't buy it. If I buy a 2108FBS with two 3000lb axles they give it a GVWR of only 5500lbs. But if it was a minnie instead of a mico minnie or Hike they would give it a GVWR of 6000# because they are after a different market. To top it all off they insist that the GVWR they give does not include hitch weight. Try explaining that to the policeman writing you a ticket for being overweight. Did I say they were idiots. Oh, some early 2021 model year 2108FBS trailers have 3700# axles with a GVWR of 7000#. If I weren't bald I'd pull my hair out.
We are looking at buying a 2108DS and have been confused by the different GVWR’s and axle weights over the different model years. This is the only place I’ve seen it specifically addressed and your explanation answer rings true. Can you tell me how you got this info, because it will make me feel a lot better to know that the posted GVWR of 5500 pound is somewhat arbitrary. I always naïvely thought that that was some actual engineering calculation.

Don’t get me wrong, even if the GVWR is arbitrary, we would not exceed it. But it will make me feel better as we push the limit a little. And I agree with you, GVWR includes hitch weight by definition.
kidlowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlowell View Post
We are looking at buying a 2108DS and have been confused by the different GVWR’s and axle weights over the different model years. This is the only place I’ve seen it specifically addressed and your explanation answer rings true. Can you tell me how you got this info, because it will make me feel a lot better to know that the posted GVWR of 5500 pound is somewhat arbitrary. I always naïvely thought that that was some actual engineering calculation.

Don’t get me wrong, even if the GVWR is arbitrary, we would not exceed it. But it will make me feel better as we push the limit a little. And I agree with you, GVWR includes hitch weight by definition.
It was easy to see back in mid-2020, when the model year changed from 2021a to 2021b, that the only real change to the trailers was the axles and the axle mounts. The frame and overall structure of the trailers above the frame remained the same. The 2021a models had GVWRs of ~7000 lbs. while the 2021b models initially had GVWRs of 5000 lbs. The uproar over the stupidity of the downgrade to a 5000 lb GVWR provoked Winnebago to go back up a bit (to 5500 lbs) after a few months.

Regardless, I'd stay below GVWR (not all that difficult). You should rework things immediately if a CAT scale shows the trailer axles are over their combined GAWR.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote