Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter not working or I'm not doing something right?

I'd like to pic some of your brains if you don't mind.

I got my 2019 (leftover new) Winnebago Adventurer 27N 3 weeks ago and have not been able to get the inverter to work.

I press the inverter on button inside the coach next to all the other control panels. See below

And nothing. Does not turn green.

It took me a while to find the inverter, as the manual its in one of the interior cabinets but it's not, It was in the basement covered by a piece of sheet metal. I push the green button and nothing.

So I check the interior fuse box and don't see one for the inverter and then I check the exterior circuit panel and notice something may be missing?

Any ideas?
Ken35216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Team

There may be a 12vdc battery cut off rotary switch turned off. It would be between the inverter and the house batteries.

I have a different inverter, but the rotary switch is right next to the inverter and is labeled Inverter Battery Cut Off.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Site Team

I looked at your wiring diagram and a disconnect is indicated but it doesn't show where to find it nor what it looks like.

Here's a link to your wiring diagram:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram..._f27n_wire.htm

And here's a screen shot of the subsection:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 5.51.42 PM.png
Views:	103
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	175297  
Old 10-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Also, make sure that the GFIC is not popped - I circled the two buttons on the end of the Inverter. One is a "Test" button and the other is the "Reset" button.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6522-XL.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	175298  
Old 10-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Also, make sure that the GFIC is not popped - I circled the two buttons on the end of the Inverter. One is a "Test" button and the other is the "Reset" button.
I checked that first. It seems no power. I'm about go out and check on battery cut off switch.

Thanks for your help!

Ken
Old 10-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I found a black box right above the inverter that says "Magnum Dimensions 15A AC Transfer Switch". Would that be it? There was no "on/off" switch.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I love the colors of your RV Creativepart... mine is the exact same :-)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken35216 View Post
I found a black box right above the inverter that says "Magnum Dimensions 15A AC Transfer Switch". Would that be it? There was no "on/off" switch.
Nope, the transfer switch just allows 110v to pass through the inverter when you plug into shore power or start the generator.

Wish I could help you find the power switch - but your Adventurer is very different from mine. Mine is the last official year of that build style and in 2019 they re-labled the Vista LX model as Adventurers. This dropped the price at least $10,000.

The dealer that sold you the RV should have demonstrated the operation of the Inverter to both teach you how to operate it and to prove it was working.

According to your Operator's Manual that switch in your first photo is the only power cut off I can find in your docs.

You're house batteries are fully charged and you've turned the power switches in the step well on... correct?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes, batteries are charged and turned on.

I had the RV delivered so the dealer didn't have the chance to go over it with me.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Okay, I followed the power from the inverter back to the battery and it ran into this before the battery. It's located in the battery box.

Is this the "disconnect switch"? I don't see a way to turn it on or off. It's a fuse, could it be blown?

How would I know if it's blown?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
Site Team

That's a 150v 800 amp fuse.

Check for continuity across the two sides of the fuse. And put a volt meter between each side and ground. You should see full battery voltage 12+ volts if you're not plugged in and 13+ volts if you are charging (plugged in, generator, engine running).

If you don't have continuity across the poles of the fuse then the fuse is blown/defective. If you have continuity through the fuse but don't have 12+ v on each side then keep looking.

One more thing - that fuse is more likely to be the main battery bank fuse than the inverter fuse. So, the batteries would run their positive cables to that and then from there to the main power system which on your RV is a Converter Charger. That it also goes to the inverter would be normal, but indicates that this fuse is probably NOT your issue.

It could be as simple as a problem with the Magnum On/Off button - but that would be unusual.

Magnum has great customer support. If you call tech support (425-353-8833) on a weekday they will walk you through this. We have seen reports of inverters failing when relatively new. So, that's not out of the realm of possibility, either.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Could this be it?

Old 10-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #13
Site Team

Nope that is your transfer switch - it only works to transfer the power connection between shore power (plugged in) and the Generator. And, it's set to prefer the generator.

So, if you are plugged in to campground power it automatically connects the AC power to your system. If you start the Generator it automatically switches from the shore power to your generator's power output.

It has nothing to do with your Inverter.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
Site Team

On my RV, this is what the inverter battery cutoff switch looks like and it's mounted near the inverter. But I have a different RV with a different inverter and setup than yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutoff.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	175301  
Old 10-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
On my RV, this is what the inverter battery cutoff switch looks like and it's mounted near the inverter. But I have a different RV with a different inverter and setup than yours.
That's what I have on my boat. I can't find anything like it on the RV. I'll call Winnebago tomorrow, to find out if they put one in and where, then Magnum.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Do you turn that switch off when you're not using the inverter?
Old 10-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

My manual says, under trouble shooting, "if no power to inverter" "check if fuse of disconnect switch (if installed) is either blown or turned off".

Since there is no fuse (see below) there has to be a disconnect switch. I just have not found it, right?

Old 10-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #18
Site Team

I looked at your wiring diagram can can't see any such cutoff listed. The only thing your Operator's Manual says to do is to turn the switch on - the one in your first post.

Have you determined that when the switch is on that you are not getting inverter power even though the green light is not lighting up? This will surprise you, but since you have an RV fridge and only a 1000w inverter there are VERY FEW things that will run from your inverter.

In fact about the only things running off the inverter will be the TVs, any plugs near your entertainment system (like to power a SAT receiver or DVD player) and just a couple of electrical receptacles. Probably one in the the bedroom and maybe one in the bathroom.

So, if your TV works when you are not plugged in and you aren't running the generator your inverter is probably working.

If you're expecting your Microwave or other electric appliances to work on inverter I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

Your Forza came standard with a 1000w inverter. It's not enough to run many things. The larger 2000w inverter is an optional item and it's powerful enough to run a microwave, etc.

So, I just want to be sure that your "problem" is really a problem and not a misunderstanding of what you have and how it works.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken35216 View Post
Do you turn that switch off when you're not using the inverter?
No, only the switch in the first post that's supposed to light up with a green light.

The main inverter/battery power cut off - if there is one - is for working on the batteries. Before disconnecting 12vdc power to the inverter you have to disconnect the positive power feeding the inverter.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I looked at your wiring diagram can can't see any such cutoff listed. The only thing your Operator's Manual says to do is to turn the switch on - the one in your first post.

Have you determined that when the switch is on that you are not getting inverter power even though the green light is not lighting up? This will surprise you, but since you have an RV fridge and only a 1000w inverter there are VERY FEW things that will run from your inverter.

In fact about the only things running off the inverter will be the TVs, any plugs near your entertainment system (like to power a SAT receiver or DVD player) and just a couple of electrical receptacles. Probably one in the the bedroom and maybe one in the bathroom.

So, if your TV works when you are not plugged in and you aren't running the generator your inverter is probably working.

If you're expecting your Microwave or other electric appliances to work on inverter I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

Your Forza came standard with a 1000w inverter. It's not enough to run many things. The larger 2000w inverter is an optional item and it's powerful enough to run a microwave, etc.

So, I just want to be sure that your "problem" is really a problem and not a misunderstanding of what you have and how it works.
The fridge is gas while not plugged in or using generator. One of the reasons I wanted this coach.

I do understand the limits of a 1000w inverter.

I checked the connection from the inverter remote panel (no green light when I turn it on), in the coach, to the inverter and both ends were connected.

I also try to turn the actual inverter on and I get nothing.

It's just not getting power for some reason.

Tags
inverter