Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newby here. New 2022 Minnie 2529RG owner.

Hi everybody!

We just upgraded from a Micro Minnie 1808FB to a beautiful 2529RG. Still waiting for the warmer weather to make our first trip.

One question though. I plugged it to my house regular 110V outlet to keep the battery charged. I will trip the house's GFCI even with all the breakers in off position. I'm seriously considering taking it back to the dealer unless this is somehow something usual. I don't believe it is though.

Has this happened to somebody so far?
Mito57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Mito57,
I wonder if you might have a bad 20 amp to 30 amp adapter? Are you running a 12 gauge 120 VAC extension cord that is in good shape? If the problem isn't something like that, then yes, I would ask the dealer to investigate the sneak circuit.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-07-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito57 View Post
I will trip the house's GFCI even with all the breakers in off position.
Welcome!

What happens when all the breakers in the TT are on? Why are you turning all the breakers off? I suspect that you are leaving the trailer plugged in to keep the battery charged? Yes? Is one of those breakers you are turning off the Converter?

If the GFCI at the house doesn’t trip when all the breakers are on, have you tried turning them off one at a time to learn which on is causing the problem?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It will triger when I just turn on the main breaker, with all secondary breakers off. I believe this tells me that the issue is inside.
I don't think my camper has a converter but I may be wrong. I've been trying to find a wiring schematic online with no luck so far.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes, it has a converter. Otherwise it wouldn’t have a shore power cable.

Here’s how this works. On battery power with no outside power source (shore power or generator) the batteries provide all 12v power to the 12v loads. When plugged into a 110v outside power source you are powering the converter. The converter then does two things. It powers the 110v side of your circuit panel and it provides all 12v power to your 12v loads while at the same time charging your 12v battery.

Most of us never turn off any breakers on our RV’s service panel, ever, for any reason. So every breaker on is the norm. With every breaker on does the GFCI at the house trip? I can’t tell if that’s what you are saying because you keep mentioning turning off some breakers.

When you say you don’t think it has a converter perhaps you are confusing the converter with an inverter? You’re correct you likely don’t have an inverter in your trailer from the factory.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I've been trying to find a wiring schematic online with no luck so far.
Unfortunately, Winnebago doesn’t provide online owner resources like wiring diagrams for Towables, only Motorhomes. However, Towable Customer Support can email wiring diagrams if you give them a call.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Team

I hope I’m not confusing things more, just trying to understand the situation. If you said the trailer trips the house GFCI when I plug in the shore power cable. I’d agree with you that something is not right in the trailer’s wiring. Period.

But since you mention circuit breakers being off in the description of the issue I’m just trying to understand exactly what’s happening? Also does it happen at all house GFCI receptacles? Or just one?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You are totally correct. I was thinking on an inverter (12V DC to 110V AC).

About the rest of your answer, the pannel has a main breaker and also other breakers for the individual circuits.
I don't usually keep the breakers off. I did it when trying to isolate the faulty circuit.

This is what I did: I set all breakers off (including the main) in the camper's pannel and then connected the shore cable to my house's power. Up to there no problem.

I don't have individual GFCIs in my house. Just one for all outlets in the main pannel.

The house's GFCI is triggered when I set the main breaker on, with all individual breakers turned off.

I'll contact Winnebago to get the wiring diagram. This will help me understand if there is any circuit that is powered onlt through the main breaker and does not go through any of the individual circuits. I suspect that may be the case for the converter.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Took it yesterday to the dealer for service. I'll update this with the solution when I get it back fixed, but I believe the problem is in the converter.
If I plug it in a non GFCI protected outlet, it produces a high pith noise that goes away if I switch the converter off. It wont make this sound if I plug it with no ground connection (also with the converter running). So is pretty sure that the current leak is causing this sound.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Took it yesterday to the dealer for service. I'll update this with the solution when I get it back fixed, but I believe the problem is in the converter.
If I plug it in a non GFCI protected outlet, it produces a high pith noise that goes away if I switch the converter off. It wont make this sound if I plug it with no ground connection (also with the converter running). So is pretty sure that the current leak is causing this sound.
Any new developments? I hope you're not waiting 2 or months for service like some on this forum are seeing.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It's been only 2 days in the dealer, but the took inside the day we dropped it and I know they are already looking.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I got it back from the dealer. Of course they plugged it and no problems were found whatsoever.

Plugged it back in my house, and of course was bad. The service technician came to my house to look at it.

I'm embarrased to say that the problem was a faulty extension cord with swapped wires on one end . For some reason this would cause a current leak to ground.

The high pitch sound sound ( I learned this after I removed the power box front cover) is a reversed polarity alarm that is built in.

Replaced the bad extension and everything is working flawless now.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Hi Mito57,
Glad that you found the culprit!
Thanks for letting us know the outcome and that the fix was a simple one.
Eagle5