Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie 😀 with 2017 Tour 42QD

Just traded up, I think! From a 2004 Fleetwood pace arrow 35 g w/ Chevy workhorse., to a 2017 Tour42qd.
Can anyone point me in the direction of , is a surge protector needed on this rig? I had a 30amp progressive Industry on my last one . Was wondering if I should get the 50 for this one?
Thanks
Phil
Winn17TourQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 and they do have a built-in surge protector but I still also run a PT50x off of the pedestal. It has saved me a couple times. It will not hurt, except the pocket book, to have another one, in my opinion.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I believe I will get one. Just wanted to be sure it would not hurt anything to have that one and the coach’s unit running back to back before powering the coach.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, the Automatic Transfer Switch offers some basic surge protection but not overall electrical protection. The Progressive Industries PT50X is a favorite and what I use. But there are others that are probably just as good.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Winn17,

Some information that I learned from Lippert:

Do not reverse directions when putting out the slide(s) except in an emergency

When extending or retracting the slide(s) and the slide reaches its stop position, continue holding the controller for a minimum of 5 seconds to allow the motors to synchronize. (You may hear one motor continuing to run when the slide stops and the button is held.)

Never allow one side of a slide to be more than 2 inches different than the other side of the slide. Those motors are very powerful and can break things.

Do not grease the slide racks.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That’s very good to know. Thanks! My neighbor took his to Iowa to have his synced up by the factory…. I wonder if all they did was hold the button for five seconds and charged him a few hundred?
Old 12-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I would definitely appreciate any tips on the tour ! Thanks in advance!
Phil
Old 12-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

No question is a dumb question, but I may have some dumb answers.
However, there are those more knowledgeable than I am on this forum and I'm sure they will question my dumb answers, which is great..

Also, you have an Aqua Hot. It is very wise to have it serviced yearly. If you can do it yourself, that's great, but I'm not a contortionist for my MH. Make sure to run it every 4 to 6 weeks for 1 complete cycle. While it is running look at the exhaust end. Should be NO smoke and NO diesel smell.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ok , what constitutes a cycle? It’s currently sitting in storage in another state. Should I tell them to start coach, generator, turn on the hot water, or crank the heat up? If so for how long.
I must admit this aqua hot thing is a little bafflingly. I’m going to have to watch some YouTube’s .
Old 12-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Oh, I’m going to need tires… mileage 32k but org tires 2017.
So , mich , Toyo, any other options on quality tires? And why different sizes frt to rear? Can they all be the same ? Are steering only , only for frt steering?
What shop do you guys trust installing these tires?
Old 12-07-2022, 10:17 PM   #11
Site Team

The tires on my 2017 Adventurer had 2016 on their DOT dates, so I replaced them last month. I replaced the Michelins with Toyos. I had heard many reports of them being a reliable alternative to the Michelin XRVs. They were quite a bit less expensive and so far seem to ride and drive great. They do smell though. I had seen others mention this and it is true. But not inside the coach, just near the tires outside after driving. Most say this goes away.

Be aware that tires seem to be in short supply. So, shop around to find someone that can get them without a long wait.

I used Southern Tire Mart to buy and install my six Toyos. I doubt they are in your neck of the woods.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Probably not, I’m in Indy, but coach is wintering in Orlando ��. Can they all be the same size? I have 295 frt, and 275 rear.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:34 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
Probably not, I’m in Indy, but coach is wintering in Orlando ��. Can they all be the same size? I have 295 frt, and 275 rear.
The Southern Tire Mart closest to Indy is in Spiceland, IN 40 miles away and the closest in Orlando is in St Augustine, which is 80 mi away.

My rig uses the same size tires all around. So I don’t know if you can make yours all the same or not. I’d think not, but don’t really know.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Would that be part of the info on the label somewhere near the driver? Lots of info there and I've lost track of exactly what but lots of good stuff to study in either case?
Any help on tire sizing in the chassis book if you have the big info case?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The OEM tires for the standard Tour / Ellipse (not the Grands) is 295 front / 275 all rears. My coach, fully loaded for FT travel and 4-corner weighed by the Freightliner Service center in Gaffney, SC, is set by them at 120#s front (max cold) and 90#s all rears.

Some have increased the fronts to a larger size given that the load can be pretty close to max (especially with the front kitchen model). I've seen just a few reports of owners choosing 295s all-around.

Many of us get our chassis service at Gaffney and consider them to be 'best in the business.' You could arrange service there and talk with the techs about tire size ranges that will work - why - and benefits versus cost. They will also install tires for you - but you have to purchase and arrange delivery to them.

In the southeast Snider Tires is one outfit you can use with or without a tire plan like FMCA. I and friends have used them for Michelin tires with good results / price.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ok , what constitutes a cycle? It’s currently sitting in storage in another state. Should I tell them to start coach, generator, turn on the hot water, or crank the heat up? If so for how long.
I must admit this aqua hot thing is a little bafflingly. I’m going to have to watch some YouTube’s .
Sorry, I didn't get back to this thread until now.

A cycle is when the AH comes on, runs, then shuts off. Usually takes about 15 minutes or so.

I can't help you with locations problems but the AH runs on 12 volts. If the unit is plugged in and the batteries are charged the AH will run fine. Turning it on would be a problem from your distance. Most likely your MH is not plugged in.

When I posted it was the suggested procedure to keep an AH in what is supposedly a good running condition.

I think that others on this thread are the same, being away from the MH by miles and most likely do nothing. I hope some reply to the AH question.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The answers to your questions are 'all over the map.' Generally it's agreed that starting the main engine and just letting it idle for any period of time is not a good idea. In cold storage mine has remain unstarted for up to 5 months without problems. Otherwise - starting the generator and AH more frequently is a good idea. A lot of us do something like once a month for preventive maintenance and use a biocide in the fuel tank when storing in warm weather. Its a good idea to give the generator a load when running - like the A/Cs or heat pumps, and cycle the AH heat pumps.

This is a great forum to ask questions - yes, we have different experiences, opinions and recommendations - but in-the-end you'll gather some ideas that will work for you.

Tags