Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to Winnebago, but not to RVing.

Greetings from the upper Midwest. We live on the WI/MN border along the Mighty Mississippi.
We have been involved with a GD Solitude 5th Wheel which we love, but is becoming too big for just the two of us. Set up and tear down hook up and haul, we are not getting any younger.
We have our eye on a 2020 Winnebago Outlook N31 with only 3800 miles.
This is a very different style of RVing for us and would like to know what you think about the model and year of this RV.
What say you folks?

Steve and Monica
LTCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Steve and Monica,
I believe the biggest change you will see is not having a tow vehicle to drive-around like you had with your 5th wheel, when it was set-up as a home-base. So, I would ask how you intend to use the new motorhome, whatever that may end-up being. If you are wanting to do more touring-around, then a shorter Class C has advantages for parking. I can park my 24' Minnie Winnie just about anywhere, providing I can get on an end-spot, and especially if I can back the rear-end out over some grass.
If you do buy a 31N Outlook Class C, you will find that parking a 32' motorhome to be more awkward than parking a 24' motorhome. Some folks get a toad with the longer Class Cs, but that is just something else with which to will now need to contend. You are trying to get away from having to tow something.
I would sum it up this way. If I were to buy a 32' Minnie Winnie, it would be a Winnie, but it isn't Minnie!
The Outlook is an economized version of the Minnie Winnie, which is missing these features:
  1. No over-cab one-piece fiberglass nose shell, which seals the area most likely to leak rainwater on the Class C.
  2. The roof on the Outlook is membrane, and the Minnie Winnie is fiberglass.
  3. Outlooks typically come with only a single house battery, versus two for the Minnie Winnie.
  4. I do not know if Outlooks were ever equipped with a 1,000 watt DC To AC inverters; something very nice for TV Viewing, running small appliances, etc.
  5. Some Outlooks were supplied with a residential-style compressor fridge, whereas the Minnie Winnies come with an absorption fridge, which I believe is better for the northern climates.
You can see the on-line brochures here.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-28-2023, 02:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A few years back DW and I decided to downsize from our 36' 5th wheel. We were tired of the set up and take down and the leveling. We looked and looked finally ended up with a 29' class A MH. After a year of traveling and adjusting to the small unit we realized we down sized to much.

We like to be gone for months at a time then back home to restock. The smaller MH just did not have storage for longer extended trips that we take. So we ended up trading for a 37' DP. Now when we are gone for months at a time we have the necessary storage and interior room to move around.

I can not comment on the rig you had questions about. Just look hard at what type of RVing you plan on doing. The older I get the less set up I want to do. FHU parks are my go to places.

Good Luck in your search
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Well, we pulled the trigger on getting a 2020 Winnebago Outlook 31N with only 3800 miles. Traded in our 2019 Solitude 5th wheel and down sizing. Looking to spend some time on this site and getting to know our new rig. Thanks for responding earlier and will look to more advice from the Winnie pros.

Steve and Monica
LTCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago