Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
New to this....

New member checking in..

Hello, new to the forum and soon to RV'ing, just saying high.

Have wife we are both in 40's, two teens (G14, B16)... We are actively looking at two travel trailers right now. Kicked the idea of 5th wheel, just based on its to much trailer for us we believe.

We started the idea of a trip out to Arizona in March, opposed to traveling to Alaska and having to deal with anymore virus restrictions and what not.

Figured we would see more driving out there, and have more freedom to choose where to go. It would give the kids more to see.

Being new to RV'ing, I'm apprehensive of towing anything to long... I have towed 8 ft trailers in Army, and currently own a 8ft X 6ft military trailer. So not new to towing.

However two rigs were currently towing
Winnebago Micro Mini 2306BHS 26' 6" long 7ft wide

Winnebago Minnie 2301BHS 29 9" long 8ft wide

I like the idea of the Micro because it is better suited for off road travel. (i.e.Valley of the Gods) figure we would be able to get further out into it vs having to stop before the wash with the longer trailer.

While the 2301 does have more living space, I feel it would limit us due to length (4ft longer) and width. I'm also a bit apprehensive of the width on the road...

I'm not asking for anyone to give me the answer, but if you have some insight and experience that may be helpful. That would be appreciated.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
However two rigs were currently towing
Winnebago Micro Mini 2306BHS 26' 6" long 7ft wide
Winnebago Minnie 2301BHS 29 9" long 8ft wide
Hi and welcome!
Before commenting we need to ask about your tow vehicle? What will you be towing with? If it's a half-ton pickup then go shorter, for sure. And, of course, go lighter. A longer TT can make towing more difficult with a smaller tow vehicle.

PS. In the quoted phrase above I assume you left out the word "considering". These are rigs you are considering towing and not currently towing. Right?
Old 12-17-2021, 03:06 AM   #3
New to this....

Yes meant considering.

Tow vehicle
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 18” wheels
Old 12-17-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We ordered the 2306BH and ended up buying the 2100BH that it shipped with (we all liked the shorter one better). I struggled with the 2306BH because it was long enough to become the maxi of the Micro Minnies. It was also long enough to enter competition with the Imagine XLS 21BHE which I liked better in many ways.

At G12 and B15, the boy outgrew the Micro Minnie bunk faster than expected. The girl also started complaining it was too small. If you haven’t already, I recommend that you check out the Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. It has much bigger bunks at a length similar to the 2306BH.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had an F-350 diesel and the Micro Minnie towed beautifully. You shouldn’t have any trouble at all there. At 7-ft wide, the trailer was basically the same width and length as the truck. I didn’t even need to extend my mirrors. It tracked the truck very well, so negotiating narrow roads and gas stations was a breeze.

The Micro Minnie was a breath of fresh air after towing a 35’ fifth-wheel. I am personally a big believer in “less is more” for travel trailers (but not trucks).
Old 12-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
New to this....

Ok, but back to the point I probably did not make so well...

Is there a huge difference between and 8 ft wide trailer and a 7 ft wide trailer, driving on roads, in mountainous terrain and what not...

My mind is telling me, wider will hit a rock surface, or cause me to slow down so much that people are passing me causing more problems to worry about.

The longer trailer is a bigger sail for cross winds.However, I also Imagine size isn't going to matter so much in that case...

The longer back end also makes be curious, if I'm in a turn lane, turning left is someone still going straight going to tag the back end of the trailer because it sweeps out in front of them?

As far as I am reading, The "2012 Chevrolet Trailering Guide" my truck does not need to have Weight Distribution or sway control... Due to it has the Z28 Trailer package, Stability control etc... There are other years for that guide for those looking as well... I think it goes back to 2006.. I have seen where this is a huge debate...

Side Note:

Ive been wanting the Weigh Safe hitch a bit, because of the scale it has on it, which would help with better balance of the trailer front to rear... So having to get the weight Distribution or sway control kills that.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
We ordered the 2306BH and ended up buying the 2100BH that it shipped with (we all liked the shorter one better). I struggled with the 2306BH because it was long enough to become the maxi of the Micro Minnies. It was also long enough to enter competition with the Imagine XLS 21BHE which I liked better in many ways.

At G12 and B15, the boy outgrew the Micro Minnie bunk faster than expected. The girl also started complaining it was too small. If you haven’t already, I recommend that you check out the Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. It has much bigger bunks at a length similar to the 2306BH.

Looking at both the 21bhe and the 23bhe, I have been in one of them physically. Not certain which it was... The 23 BHE is really only about a foot longer than the 2306 and kind of considered it...

I still couldn't help but feel the construction was noticeably difference and had that RV appearance of years ago, I have never liked... Ya know back when the appearance looked as though did change since the 60's...Yes there were some modern things, but the furniture looked as though it was from the 80's still.

I was told that Winnebago makes/ owns grand design.. Though, I wasn't feeling it...

None the less, I have now joined a Winnebago Forum... Cant jump ship now....

As far as the bunks, My thinking is... I don't want them living in the bunks I want them out seeing things. They only need to sleep in the bunk... However I do like the wider bunks and many of the other things in the 2301...

I think everyone in my family, is decided it going to be a Winnebago.Were supposed to have a 2306 arriving on the 31st.. So that will help... But it also puts us closer to March....
Old 12-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The changes to the Micro Minnie interiors in 2021 were intended to make them more similar to the Grand Design trailers (more modern look). Funny.

All other things being equal, an 8-ft wide trailer is probably more stable in a crosswind (or less likely to tip over anyway). I preferred 7-ft wide for towing in construction zones and urban areas. Both were fine, but narrower was less stress for the driver. When at the campground, 8-ft is obviously more room. I probably wouldn’t worry too much about the width, it’s not a game changer either way.

The 2306BHS is a nice trailer, and the axles are pretty far back which helps stability and reduces tail swing. The torsion axles are nice and simple too (not much to maintain or break). My only concern would be the bunk size. Not trying to rain on your parade, but since our families are similar I thought I’d share my experience.

I used a WDH and a separate frictional sway bar. The sway bar was the most useful bit.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm curious if the OP came to a decision? My family including B13 and G16, have looked at ALL these models which made this thread interesting as I too was living it.

We also looked at the GD 2400BH which as I learned from a Winne rep, is GD's comparable to the Winne 2301. We've had a 40ft TT and 40+ ft fiver in the past and wanted to go shorter. We started this search saying no longer than 25ft and here we are looking at 30ft.

Initially we were leaning to the 2306 Micro but in the end I believe we're going 2301. Love everything about 2306 EXCEPT... not much for storage when compared. When we looked at where will kids put clothes as an example, we had no answer; the 2301 has much more storage.

I'm curious to hear from anyone with the 2301 as to the weights. I struggle to see how it has a 680# tongue where all the others in this range rate at 500# or so.
cbrown.tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi cbrown, The OP just purchased the 2301. Good luck in your own search.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #11
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown.tx View Post
I'm curious if the OP came to a decision? My family including B13 and G16, have looked at ALL these models which made this thread interesting as I too was living it.

We also looked at the GD 2400BH which as I learned from a Winne rep, is GD's comparable to the Winne 2301. We've had a 40ft TT and 40+ ft fiver in the past and wanted to go shorter. We started this search saying no longer than 25ft and here we are looking at 30ft.

Initially we were leaning to the 2306 Micro but in the end I believe we're going 2301. Love everything about 2306 EXCEPT... not much for storage when compared. When we looked at where will kids put clothes as an example, we had no answer; the 2301 has much more storage.

I'm curious to hear from anyone with the 2301 as to the weights. I struggle to see how it has a 680# tongue where all the others in this range rate at 500# or so.
We looked at the GD equivalent as well. I’ll say for me it did not seem the same.
We have equalizer 4 1000/ 10000 lb weight distribution hitch ride home was a little bouncy., not sure if that’s normal or not.
Staying overnight(1X), was. Basically uneventful. In a parking lot none the less.
We have two A/C units, still runs on 30amp oddly enough.
The bed for me is going to be a challenge.
I believe tongue weight is accurate if not a little more with tanks and what not.
We don’t live in it, it’s meant for trips though. I’m guessing if you were to live it, it would be better than the 2306 space wise.
I didn’t imagine my kids being to happy in the smaller bunks of a 2306. Al be it, the off road design would have made for better trips in the long run. They would just have to suffer through sleeping. Then there is the storage issue as well.
The 2306’s storage is in the bathroom as far as kids. The 2301 does have a bit more storage in the walk in closet near the entrance door.

Tags