Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2024, 06:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Here with Air Line Issues 2000 Journey 34B

Gooooood morning all. Just purchased 2000 journey 34B. Very impressed with the old girl. Took a chance with it i guess butt Well maintained with records back to 2012, and it shows.

Been camping for 40 years, first DP. Now that I braged her up, on our way home from purchasing it we blew an air line. Got it safely in a parking lot before the P. Brake popped.

That was later in the day so had to get replaced line the next day. Used a 1/2 in. hydralic line to repair. Worried about enough volume with 1/2 in. Line but works well. Gona leave it and possibly replace atleast one other with hydralic line as we'll.

It failed due to steel clamp broke and got pinched between frame and motor. But anyway I do have a question concerning chassie parts for that 2000 frightliner chassis.

Can I get a parts diagram with part no. I may go that route if thay don't break the bank. There are trans cooler lines and oil cooler lines that I want to replace.

One more quick story. After getting it home I was just playing with it and started it and it would not build air past 60, 70 psi something like that then air LEAK. OH NO not again. The slide was out, so air won't build. Safety feature. This old girl does amaze me for a 2000.

OK if anyone has idea about part no. I would appreciate it thanks and looking forward to our JOURNEY. Lol
Autotomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome!

As you know your motorhome is two things in one - a chassis from Freightliner and a house from Winnebago. Winnebago publishes all of the house parts online, but none of the chassis parts. You need to turn to the chassis manufacturer for those part numbers, etc.

The air braking system is a vital safety component and it worries me to hear of a new user replacing air lines with hydraulic hose. But that’s up to you. Personally, the first thing I would do is have an experienced diesel shop check and validate the entire air brake system, if not the entire Freightliner chassis on a new to you 24-year old motorhome.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Air line

Thanks for the response. I did have a supposed complete chassis inspection to include oil filter fuel and air filters as part of the sale. But thay obviously missed this air line and another with a corrosion spot swelling and ready to leak at any time.

That did nothing for my confidence with reputable service shops, which it was. But I do see your point with hydralic lines on air systems. It may not pass a safety inspection.

I will probly change it and any others I can find bad, and have it inspected by a different shop. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:01 PM   #4
Site Team

If the seller or selling dealership had anything to do with the “inspection” you may want to start over.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Start over

Not sure what you mean by starting over??? It was a private owner, he paid for inspection and service. I bought it knowing a 24 year old coach would need work especially hoses and lines. I just thought a service teck would catch an air line pinched between the frame and motor, and a rusty puckered steel line????
Old 06-11-2024, 04:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Start over

Seems like we have come a long way from fixing air lines on winne old girl to legal advice
Old 06-11-2024, 06:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

To answer your original question, you should have both a VIN for the final RV (used to license the RV) and a VIN for the partial Freightliner chassis. Grab both and give the Freightliner Help line a call and they might be able to give you the chassis docs you want... 1-800-FTL-HELP.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotomk View Post
Not sure what you mean by starting over???
Sorry to not be clear. I’m just suggesting that if the seller arranged the inspection that that inspection could have been less than complete depending on what he told the people doing the inspection to review and report on. And, as such, perhaps getting another check up of your RV may be in your best interest… as in start over on the inspection.

It’s common to hire your own inspection, choosing the shop doing the work and paying then to do your bidding. So that you are the customer and telling them how thorough they should be. You have a need to find every issue. When a seller is controlling the process he may not have the same goal in mind.

An no, there is not a hint of legal advice in the original comment or this follow up.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Emiddleb thanks for response I have heard frightliner is very helpful even with older chassis.

Creative, yes I think your right but i don't think there was any deception intended. I have the bill and report and it does say chassis lube not so much inspection, although there was a few things checked like tie rod ends and brake pads. No mention of air brake system.

Thanks to both of you for the help. I do have a few other questions. But I want to figure out how to check the forums if the questions have already been asked.

Thanks again.

Tags
journey