Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #1
Micro Traveler

New 2023 Micro Minnie 2108FBS Coming Soon!

Greetings all!
My wife & I just purchased a new 2108FBS, should be taking delivery in a few weeks, as soon as the weather cooperates.
We are coming from an older Lance-type truck camper, and are looking forward to the extra room
Question - Does this forum have a dedicated Micro Minnie section? If so, how do I navigate to it? I hope to enjoy this entire site, but may also have questions specific to the Micro.
Hope to visit with you all down the road ... !
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Jay Tea,
Your new trailer sounds very exciting, and in perfect timingfor some Spring campouts!
We do not have a specific Micro Minnie section; just use Winnebago Travel Trailers.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-01-2024, 05:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No section, but we did have a dedicated thread for Micro Minnies, it was closed 4/1/2023, it ran for over 7 years and had over 600 posts but got hard to navigate. It's still available to read if that interests you.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on your new Micro Minnie. You’ll have a great time with it. A word of caution and reminder if you didn’t know. Something they don’t tell you at the dealer, and not in Winnebago manuals. Do not sit in the dinette or love seat in the slide out when the slide is in. We didn’t know that when we first got our 2108. Got educated on this forum about slide failure resulting from too much weight in the slide which is cantilevered when it’s in.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:01 PM   #5
Micro Traveler

Thanks For Info

Thanks Fred & Eagle, appreciate the info! I'll use the Travel Trailers link you provided. I'd imagine there are raves & rants specific to the Micro, it's too bad that thread was closed.

Wow Jim, thanks for the important information about the dinette slide! An engineering faux pas? What type failure occurs, the slide comes off a track? It would have been nice to have a quick lunch on the side of the road while traveling, without having to extend the slide. Is there a work-around or 'hack' to strengthen whatever breaks the slide?
Old 02-02-2024, 08:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Thanks Fred & Eagle, appreciate the info! I'll use the Travel Trailers link you provided. I'd imagine there are raves & rants specific to the Micro, it's too bad that thread was closed.

Wow Jim, thanks for the important information about the dinette slide! An engineering faux pas? What type failure occurs, the slide comes off a track? It would have been nice to have a quick lunch on the side of the road while traveling, without having to extend the slide. Is there a work-around or 'hack' to strengthen whatever breaks the slide?
Jay,
The slide is an above floor Schwintek slide made by Lippert. There are some YouTube’s on it. The problem is that the slide is suspended over the floor only by its mounts on the exterior wall. The entire weight of the slide is cantilevered when the slide is in. I believe Lippert says the slide is designed for only 150# retracted. You can conquer this limitation by putting supports under the front edge of the slide floor where it hovers over the trailer floor. Some folks have designed flip-down supports, but it would be just as good putting two or three wood blocks under the front edge of slide floor that will fit snugly between slide floor and trailer floor. Of course, you’d have to remove them when you put the slide out. I think this may be one of the reasons many opt for the 2108DS model, as it affords you a place to sit, other than on the bed, when the slide is in. If your slide fails and it is determined that leverage was put on the slide with too much weight while it was in, it’s likely Winnebago warranty will not cover the repair. Here’s a good video about travel trailer slides:
https://youtu.be/itGeKF6yu1g?si=IEuxmpLhcus2nWZC

As far as I know, there are very few trailer slides designed to carry human weight while slide is retracted. Even ORV, one of the best brands in the industry advises in their videos that you do not use the slide while retracted. I only cautioned you on this because Winnebago refused to cover what I felt was a structural failure under my warranty. It wasn’t the slide. My 12v fridge fell out of the cabinet because the mounting brackets which were insufficient to hold the fridge failed. Fortunately I was able to repair it myself with some help from my son. Took me four hours and several trips to Lowe’s.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #7
Micro Traveler

Good Info

Thanks again Jim.