Originally Posted by creativepart
Buying from a dealer you need to keep a couple of things in mind.
1. Don't let the F&I guy/gal at closing go too fast, not give you time to read paperwork and NOT SELL YOU tons of stuff you don't really need. Remember that dealers buy service contracts cheap and mark up the price 100% or more. You'll do better buying your own service contract on your own AFTER the purchase. That's IF and only IF you've decided to buy such a contract. Many of us - including me - do not buy one at all.
2. Force them to spend a great deal of time going over the operation of EVERYTHING on the RV. If they try to schedule 45 or an hour tell them you want 3 to 5 hours of PDI and you'll want to test the function of every single item. Including things that take a lot of time to test. Heaters, AC units, Water pumps, heaters, drains. Everything. No really every little thing.
They'll tell you they've gone through your rig and know it's all good. But the reality is they'll give it a quick look and then sell it. Leaving the buyer to determine what's really working or not.
We try to camp in the RV the day we pick it up within a few miles of the dealership. That way we can test everything ourselves. We learn what works and what doesn't but we also learn what we don't know about how to work some things. Then we head back to the dealer the NEXT DAY with a list of things to fix AND ask about all the things we have questions on.
Lastly. Do not sign ANY purchase papers unless everything is working. Everything. Don't let them tell you "Go ahead and sign and we'll get things fixed later." No money, no signatures and no purchase until it's all there and all working. I can't stress this one enough.
Before the closing everyone will be your best friend, they'll have your best interest at heart. After the sale it will be "Who are you and what RV do you have?" You have to look out for yourself in these things.
We probably already screwed up! We signed off on a form and put a $500 deposit so they would hold the rv. While they run all the info through the banks to see what interest rates we can get (this could make a fairly large difference and also could be a deal breaker). We will hear from them one day this week with the best offer they can get and then we have to decide if weíre happy with that or not. Weíre pretty close to what we want so they may actually hit our mark and weíll pull the trigger. My wife is concerned that even though they told us if things donít work out we get our hold money back, they will try and keep it???
🤞🏼 Itís used, but itís still a huge purchase and you really start to question if you wanna make that step!
Thanks for all the input, Iíve been through this with my TT so i will be VERY thorough on the walk through. I need to understand everything on the RV before i leave, and i need to test drive it also... we havenít done that yet. 😲