Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Full timers

Hi
My wife and I have been full timers for 4 yrs.
We have a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 36'.this past summer we were camp hosts at Honeyman state park in Florence, Oregon for 3 months at the welcome center. Then 2 months at Bullard s state beach in Brandon, Oregon as interpretive hosts at the lighthouse. We've met lots of great people and made some new friends along the way.
we spend our Winters in Bullhead City,Az. As my youngest sister and husband live there year round.
Then back to our home state of Nevada for April and October visiting friends, doctor visits etc. In Carson City.
We can't forget our 5# Yorkie who does not travel well. But does great when we're settled.
We've had our share of problems with the RV but contacting Winnebago reps have always been most helpful.
Joe
jlsilvis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsilvis42 View Post
Hi
We have a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 36'.this past summer we were camp hosts at Honeyman state park in Florence, Oregon for 3 months at the welcome center. Then 2 months at Bullard s state beach in Brandon, Oregon as interpretive hosts at the lighthouse. We've met lots of great people and made some new friends along the way.
we spend our Winters in Bullhead City,Az. As my youngest sister and husband live there year round.
Then back to our home state of Nevada for April and October visiting friends, doctor visits etc. In Carson City.
We can't forget our 5# Yorkie who does not travel well. But does great when we're settled.
We've had our share of problems with the RV but contacting Winnebago reps have always been most helpful.
Joe
I assume being a camp host gets you a free premium campsite, correct? Would you mind explaining the barter system for that, such as total responsibility, total benefits, etc? How do you acquire these arrangements? Do you email parks and offer your services as camp hosts, then negotiate the terms and length?
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
I assume being a camp host gets you a free premium campsite, correct? Would you mind explaining the barter system for that, such as total responsibility, total benefits, etc? How to you acquire these arrangements? Do you write to parks and offer your services as camp hosts, then negotiate the terms and length?
X2
Interested also
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Wandering Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsilvis42 View Post
Hi
Joe
Welcome! We just joined a few days ago. We're Full timers too, and have been for about six months now. We also have a dog that doesn't travel well. She is a weimaraner, and would be very nervous the entire time our coach was moving. A few weeks ago we bought a new coach, and went from a gasser to a DP. During our trip from Mesa (where we bought the coach), to Benson, she actually went to sleep on her dog bed!!! I think that the quieter environment and the smoother ride has made her more comfortable. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
2014 Journey 36M

Recommend checking out workamper.com. We worked part time at several state and private parks when we first fulltimed 2000-2002, and found the openings thru them. Excellent resource for anyone interested in doing that. Hope it's ok to post their site here - and no, we are not affiliated with them.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We can't host on the Oregon coast in the summer months. We stay at the state parks in particular Jessie honeyman State Park and Bullard State Park. You can contact a ranger or whoever's in charge of the volunteers at a state park or private Parks Federal Parks or county Parks corps of engineers I would suggest contacting the person in charge of the their volunteer program there is a work camper. Com program we've not use that. for the state of Oregon we work four hours a day 5 days a week we have two consecutive days off and we do get a premium site with full hookups for Oregon State Parks if when we stay there and have paid in the past it's $1,000 a month. for Oregon State Parks after you speak with a ranger they set up test that you take every year through I learn. Org and that's about 15 different tests with about 20 questions on each test they're mostly common sense and related to the position that you're applying for. You can check volunteers for Oregon state parks and see positions that are currently open and how long they're looking for someone for that position and the duties of the position. Hope this was of some help. We've met some very nice people and made some nice friends along the way. Safe travels
jlsilvis42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timer