Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2021 2108DS new owner

Good morning all, I am in the process of purchasing this unit. Any advice or concerns by anyone who currently own one! I am attracted to the quality of the unit I have seen vs. many others brands. I will be towing with a Nissan Pathfinder rated for 6000lbs. Any advice or comments would be welcome.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Make sure the Pathfinder’s receiver can handle the expected tongue weight and that you have sufficient payload capacity in the vehicle. Also, some unibody vehicles cannot use weight distribution hitches. I’m not sure about the Pathfinder (also, you could have an older one with a frame or a newer one without). I would not tow with it if you have a CVT.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. I currently pull a Wildwood trailer (3500 dry wgt) and have a distribution hitch as well. In addition, I installed air bags for added suspension. The Pathfinder is rated for 6000lbs and 595lbs on the ball.

Why do you think the CVT trans is a problem?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My understanding is that CVTs don't tend to work out well (durability) in heavier vehicles. We have a friend with the Infiniti equivalent (QX-60) and their CVT had to be replaced at ~60K miles (I think it would have been $8K, but luckily they had warranty coverage). I don't know for sure, but I believe durability is part of the reason Nissan has moved away from the CVT for the 2022 Pathfinders. So I'd probably be pretty nervous adding ~5000-5500 lbs of load. All that being said, it's quite possible you won't have any trouble.

Edit: I was just looking at the towing guide for Nissan. It's great that you can use a WDH on it. Often people can't use one, which means they can't get the weight back onto the front axle. Air bags are great for supporting load and leveling the rig, but they cannot project weight forward onto the front axle like a WDH.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Great thanks. Really appreciate the feedback. I will keep an eye on it and maybe upgrade to heavy duty springs.

Overall how do you like the use and quality of your trailer? No issues?
Old 07-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I really like my trailer. It hasn’t been back to the dealer since delivery. All the issues so far have been minor/simple enough for me to tackle.

The Micro Minnie is perfect for me. I like the 7-ft width, the ground clearance, dual torsion axles, and the layout. It has everything I need without any extra stuff or space. I also love that all the pressurized plumbing is above the floor. You can also slip an endoscope over the frame rails and see everything underneath the floor (which will undoubtedly help with repairs later).
Old 07-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Frenchie,
The 2108ds has been the ideal TT for my wife and I on short and long expeditions. We couldn’t go any bigger due to restraints on TV payload, and access to our mountain home. We’ve upgraded a lot in order to get more days boondocking. The build quality has been B+, and no warranty issues that we couldn’t fix ourselves. We’re coming to grips with and adapting to the downsides of the Murphy bed, but they don’t outweigh the upsides. It’s middle of summer, and our 12v compressor fridge is using way more power than it did in cooler months. So, we’re going to add more solar. It’s a comfortable tow. Our TV with all the stuff we carry is near its limits, but still safe. We’ve got about 550 lbs on the tongue.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I tow my 2108DS with a Ford Expedition with no problems at all. I've always used a Husky load distribution hitch and sway (friction brake) bar, but I can't say how much they help.
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote