Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Quick release gas line

Hello, new to this forum but some of you folks seem to be quite knowledgeable about Winnebago products so let me ask this of you.
What is the quick release gas fitting used for on my micro Minnie. I assumed it was so I could attach my grill to the tanks plugged into the gas lines but when
I tried to do this, it seems the pressure from the tanks is regulated and the pressure is too low for my grill. It will light but burns very low.
Garman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a common questions that involves the difference in grills. Am I right that you have a grill that has a regulator for use with a normal portable tank?
That likely menas you are using two regs inline and that leaves it too low pressure! One reg only!
The solution can vary with different grills. Some you can just take the onboard grill reg out and tie dircetly to the quick connect or other folks have to add a line to the RV which connects to the gas tank BEFORE the quick connect line.
We found the better option seemed to be buying a grill for use only on the RV to avoid havign to do much work for mods.
Behaps look for grills without the reg onboard?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, this is pretty much what I thought the issue was. One too many regulators.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

As usual Richard is 'right on.' We experienced the same issue - tried the grill after removing the regulator with poor results - than looked at 'low pressure' grills. There are not a lot of model choices and the price is significantly higher. Reinstalled the regulator - bought a small, portable tank - and enjoying the good life!
Old 12-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
As usual Richard is 'right on.' We experienced the same issue - tried the grill after removing the regulator with poor results - than looked at 'low pressure' grills. There are not a lot of model choices and the price is significantly higher. Reinstalled the regulator - bought a small, portable tank - and enjoying the good life!
That's the best option and is what I did years ago. My MH doesn't have a quick disconnect but my TTs did. In the years that I had them, I never used the quick disconnect. The added advantage of a tank is that you can use your grill anywhere in your campsite.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
That's the best option and is what I did years ago. My MH doesn't have a quick disconnect but my TTs did. In the years that I had them, I never used the quick disconnect. The added advantage of a tank is that you can use your grill anywhere in your campsite.
This is a point that we got hung on at one site. We tend to like campgrounds at Corps parks on lakes and we came into the last site being with the back hanging out over the high water of lake flooding. Had we been stuck with using the quick connect on that RV, we would have been cooking in the lake but we had small tanks for the grill. I think five gallon, maybe? We often just used the grill on the picnic table.
That was as close to the water as I ever wanted but we did not have trouble with drunk folks wandering around the RV at night!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
This is a point that we got hung on at one site. We tend to like campgrounds at Corps parks on lakes and we came into the last site being with the back hanging out over the high water of lake flooding. Had we been stuck with using the quick connect on that RV, we would have been cooking in the lake but we had small tanks for the grill. I think five gallon, maybe? We often just used the grill on the picnic table.
That was as close to the water as I ever wanted but we did not have trouble with drunk folks wandering around the RV at night!
Five gallon is a good size. I use a propane "tree" that allows you to connect other devices like a lantern, camp stove, etc. If your grill is designed to connect to a small, disposable tank as opposed to a standard LPG tank, you'll need some way of connecting it to the 5 gal tank. I've also provided a link for the hose:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=propane+t..._ts-doa-p_2_12

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Conve...48&sr=8-9&th=1
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, I have several small 10 gallon tanks that I always carried in my motor home and a hose that has the proper tank fitting on one end and screws into my grill on the other. Had lots of storage in the big motor home, not as much now but seems like the best solution so I’ll find the space.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:04 AM   #9
Just Trying to Help

Garman247-

First off, welcome to winnieowners!

Second, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually includes the year, make and model of your coach, but can include other information. A signature is appended to each post. To create/edit a signature, click on the "User CP" link in the orange bar at the top, then click on "Edit Signature."

Re: Grill regulator replacement. Torjik makes a line of parts to modify popular grills. Here's a link to a Web site that sells Torjik parts. I have no experience with them, but would try that first before I went the propane cylinder route.

Another alternative: Keep the grill as is, but add a tee between the outlet on the permanently-installed coach propane tank and its regulator. Here's a link to a Web site video that shows everything you need to do:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay)

You simply move the regulator to the right. If the hose is not long enough, install a longer hose. On some coaches more thought is needed to add the tee, due to te tanks and regulator locations. I added the tee on my former coach, and it worked well.

... until I bought a propane firepit. They consume a lot of propane. The "delivered" price for propane in one park where I stayed seasonally was over $6 a gallon. Propane at Tractor Supply was $2.85 a gallon. So, I bought a 20-pound propane cylinder to run the grill and the firepit. I had no place in the motorhome to safely carry the cylinder, so at the end of the season I gave it away to one of the more-permanent residents.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If the gas line on your grill is detachable you can just replace it with a non-regulated quick disconnect line.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a Weber q grill. I think I can remove the regulator and use an adapter. But I think for now just going to bring my 10 pounder and the hose for it with me.

Tags
gas