Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are picking up our new 2007 journey 39K on the 28th and the wife was wondering how do we hang our outside patio lights on the awning when the awning has an auto wind sensor?

Thanks ....
Mark -n- Rise'
Elmira NY
Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are picking up our new 2007 journey 39K on the 28th and the wife was wondering how do we hang our outside patio lights on the awning when the awning has an auto wind sensor?

Thanks ....
Mark -n- Rise'
Elmira NY
Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The automatic wind sensor can be disconnected very easily turning off the little toggle switch on the control box. I also disconnect the telephone style jack just in case. The info should be in your black bag.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You slide them on then lock your awning out. There is a lock on the inside of the bay. You can also adjust the sensor. We just don't use ours. Instead, we ran the lights down the patio. It works but not as well.

Good luck and Happy Trails,
Anne
GrammaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Be very careful about hanging lights - you don't want to encumber your ability to roll the awning in quickly. Your awning can be destroyed literally in a few seconds if you get gusty winds and you can't immediately roll it up.

Like Anne, we lay them on the ground or I have even clipped them under the slide.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone... does anyone know if brackets are available that will attach the lights to the top edge of the slide out?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The brackets are available at Camping World and other RV asseccories dealers.

Don't ever depend on the sensor to roll up your awning. YOU, roll it up whenever you leave the moho unattended. Save yourself some heart ache in case of a storm..
John's advice is right on..Good Luck

\
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I drilled a small hole in the support arms about two inches down from the end of the awning tube and stretch a cable between the two arms. This allows me to attach the lights to the cable and be able to roll up the awning at least 95% of the way when we leave the site. I have not had any problems with wind with only 5% awning exposure.

Hope this helps,
Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

ichn2go,

Normally I roll the awning up if I am leaving the campgound. Sometimes I get tried of the awning rolling itself up, and will "disable" the sensor while sitting around the motorhome.

Last weekend we went camping in Harpers Ferry, WV. I went for a walk around the campground and was at the far side of the campground when a storm came over the mountains. Just a lot of wind at first. I headed back to the Motorhome as fast as my old legs would take me. When I got back the awning had already rolled itself up and was nice and safe. It was a good thing that I chaecked the switch and "enable" the sensor that very morning. The moral to this story is that whenever you "disable" the sensor you run a risk even while around the campground.

I don't hang anything from the awning because I don't know when it will roll itself up, even while sitting under it.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Congratulations, your awning worked as advertised. So many of these power pro awnings are unreliable, they work when they want to, some roll up prematurely and others just don't roll up. On my 03 diesel, it was totaly unpredictable even after having the sensor and the control box switched out and set in many different ways. Why take a chance with a expensive add on to the MOHO. There are many stories on the forum of awnings being demolished by not rolling them up. Good Luck and safe miles.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote