Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Contact NAPA online or call their 800 number. The local NAPA stores are usually limited since many are franchises. They nationanl CS person figured it out for me. I bought 2 caps with matching keys, ventless...under $20.00.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Locking gas cap.

Had someone open their car door on my wife's new car, left a $200 dent, saw him do it and confronted him. He didn't really care and instead of beating him on the spot, thought about things for a while, seen him all the time and one day gave him a present, a locking gas cap. Don't remember what I did with the key but though he might need it.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Don't know which chassis you have but I bought a cap for a late model F150 PU and it works fine on my coach. I guess Ford gas filler tubes are alike.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Locking gas cap.

Had someone open their car door on my wife's new car, left a $200 dent, saw him do it and confronted him. He didn't really care and instead of beating him on the spot, thought about things for a while, seen him all the time and one day gave him a present, a locking gas cap. Don't remember what I did with the key but though he might need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully his car was on empty, 2:00 am and pouring down rain before he discovered his present...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #25

I would immagine that you could go to most any auto parts store and tell them the make/modle of your chassis and they could match up a locking gas cap. You may want to take your original cap in with you just to compare. I think that the fuel filler tube is part of the chassis not the "RV" portion.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Richard 34.5A, go to your local NAPA and ask for a locking gas cap for a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. They work fine.

(I did a search on these forums to find out the info... I bought a locking cap several years ago and never could remember the number/type <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> it is a 2002 Calviler Gas Cap Stant P/N 10506 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
I would immagine that you could go to most any auto parts store and tell them the make/modle of your chassis and they could match up a locking gas cap. You may want to take your original cap in with you just to compare. I think that the fuel filler tube is part of the chassis not the "RV" portion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that; I went to two NAPA stores and one Grand Auto but no luck. My current gas cap does not have any markings for them to cross-reference, and they only had Workhorse information to 2003.

I did find a gas cap part number at the Workhorse website and Troth posted information regarding the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier gas cap fitting.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Was just at Wally World where they had the gas cap for the 2002 Chevy Cavalier. It was just different enough from the non-locking one that I have now, that I didn't feel comfortable with buying it. (I'm just far enough away, that to have to drive all the way back to return it would be a pain.)

Tomorrow I will call Workhorse and ask about the one mentioned in their Chassis Guide. I'll post the result here.

The Search continues! (I feel like Indiana Jones--don't look like him though.)

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Hi..."troth" was right on. I went to CarQuest Auto Parts with the Stant part number that he gave, and they came up with their part # 35069, which is made by Stant. Made in the USA too. Anyhow, it fit and locked. lenOrge

2003 Brave 34D
2001 Tracker
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lenOrge:
Hi..."troth" was right on. I went to CarQuest Auto Parts with the Stant part number that he gave, and they came up with their part # 35069, which is made by Stant. Made in the USA too. Anyhow, it fit and locked. lenOrge

2003 Brave 34D
2001 Tracker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello lenOrge;

Went to the CarQuest website but can't do a product search. Went to the Stant website and came up with the Stant locking gas cap number 35069; could you confirm that is the correct Stant number for me?

Stant website has Workhorse listed, but only under medium/heavy truck on the P-chassis and it came up as no parts available. No listings at all for the W-chassis series...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Hi Richard 34.5A....Yes, the CarQuest part #35069 is correct. I had the parts man check to see what that part fit, and he came back with the 2002 Chev Cavalier. lenOrge

2003 Brave 34D
2001 Tracker
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I'm not trying to throw a wrench into this subject, but there is more to the "proper" gas cap, than if "it fits".. It is (unfortunatly) a part of the emissions system...(Hear, click, click, click) and in alot of places, most of Arizona for one, must pass that test.. Around here, they vacuum check them among other things..Hopefully, the locking caps you are buying won't "fail" you...

Off topic, but is there a spell checker on this site? I always hate feeding the "Spel Pulise", but am wearing my dictionary out.. Thanks...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #33

Must pass the emissions test here in California too. I think I would put the OEM cap back on prior to testing.

I had a Flair on a Ford chassis and can tell you that the smog shop 'failed' my gas cap every time. I had to buy a new cap every time it was tested. (Every other year... not sure if it was a way for the shop to sell you a new cap, or if the cap fails so quickly.)

Most important to me is that the cap doesn't 'lock' and then can not be removed because it wasn't the proper fit. Also, it must be a proper fit or you can get a Check Engine Light, but if you replace the cap, the light will re-set itself after some engine starts.

I called Car Quest this morning and was quoted $17, plus tax. A little difference from the $54 from Workhorse... going down to pick one up and will post the results.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

rfstngby has it right. It is important you get one suited to your rig. I tried a Stant locking cap, specified for my Ranger truck plus several other models of Ford. I started having weird problems with its operation. Mechanic said take the cap off and try again. Problems went away immediately. "Just a fit" was never satisfactory for my m/h and I never did find any one who could certify a correct cap. So I put a lock in the gas door and a coil in the filler neck.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I rang Workhorse about the "approved" cap. The part number shown in the 2006 Chassis Guide has been changed to 22720375. It can only be ordered through a Workhorse dealer/service center. I rang the one closest to me and the girl laughed and told me to prepare for "sticker shock". She quoted me $48.84 plus tax.

When I looked at the 2002 Chevy Cavalier cap, I noticed one major difference--the OEM cap had a spring loaded flat "plug" on the end that pressed against the filler neck. The Chevy one did not. That could prevent a proper seal.

I think I'll try a different route. What is this coil mentioned and where might I find one?

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Gary, the coil is just a metal rod twisted into a conical shaped coil. It is a non-rusting steel and you drop in down into your filler neck. You will need to punch out the plastic reducer to get it in the neck. It may be possible to get a smaller diameter than I have, whereby you would not need to punch out the reducer. They coil up and then uncoil once they are in the filler, wedging themselves against the filler tube. Their only purpose is to stop siphoning. I got mine at a truck supply house.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Homer.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Homer says...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You will need to punch out the plastic reducer to get it in the neck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa Homer, that will get you busted too.. That's the first thing they check for, assuring that the restriction is intact... Can't have us "great unwashed" putting "leaded gas" in an "unleaded tank" now, can we.? (Unleaded nozzles are smaller, and thus a leaded (non existant) nozzle mustn't be allowed to fit. No matter that leaded gas hasn't been commonly available for how long, 15/20 years...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

I thought I also needed a locking gas cap. Got one for about $18.00 then discovered the hose from the fill neck to the tank is so long I couldn't feed a siphon hose in it. I think that if someone wanted to steal your gas he would just crawl underneath and cut into the fuel filler hose and drain it of that way.
George
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeR:
I thought I also needed a locking gas cap. Got one for about $18.00 then discovered the hose from the fill neck to the tank is so long I couldn't feed a siphon hose in it. I think that if someone wanted to steal your gas he would just crawl underneath and cut into the fuel filler hose and drain it of that way.
George </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fuel line on the genset would work also. But why do people bother siphoning gas. How many five gallon jugs can you run off with at one time? Seems like a lot of work and exposure to steal what is today worth about $12.

I am still debating my self between a locking gas cap or putting a lock on the gas door. I am leaning toward the gas door if I can get a lock that matches the bin key like the one for the gravity water fill. I really don't want to have to carry and sort through any more keys.