Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Because of a surge of gas thefts in my area, I want to install either a locking gas cap, or change the gas door lock to a keyed type. All the local auto parts stores can't help, because their databases only cover autos. Anyone have an online source for these items? You'd think all gas caps would be the same, but there seems to be a whole bunch of different types.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Because of a surge of gas thefts in my area, I want to install either a locking gas cap, or change the gas door lock to a keyed type. All the local auto parts stores can't help, because their databases only cover autos. Anyone have an online source for these items? You'd think all gas caps would be the same, but there seems to be a whole bunch of different types.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

I went to Lowes and bought a cylinder lock with a metal plate that turns when you use the key in the cylinder. This fit in the existing hole that held the wing nut type latch. Make sure the small metal plate is long enough to latch behind the side wall of your gas access cover. I tried to find a locking gas cap and could not. So the next best thing was to secure the access cover with the cylinder lock. Good luck in your quest.
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

How about checking with the chassis manufacturer. I would think they would have information on a part number.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I used the same system for locking the gas door that "no18yes" described. Lowe's has a keyed lock that perfectly fits in the hole where the present twist latch is. Measure your throw for the right length of reach. I had to put a slight bend in the locking blade to fit behind the gas door surround.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You could take the gas cap to an auto parts store such as NAPA and find a locking type that matches.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
Because of a surge of gas thefts in my area, I want to install either a locking gas cap, or change the gas door lock to a keyed type. All the local auto parts stores can't help, because their databases only cover autos. Anyone have an online source for these items? You'd think all gas caps would be the same, but there seems to be a whole bunch of different types. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea; hopefully someone will come up with a part number. I'm sure there's a locking cap for it. I had a 1995 Ford chassis MH and was told that I couldn't get a locking cap but ultimately found one at NAPA.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I was able to find a locking cap at my local auto parts store. The only issue was that it didn't fit into the keeper ring attached to the fill tube.

2004 Brave 32V
scubadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Locking the fuel fill door? If it's like mine it's made of plastic. You can get your fingers in the top and just pull it out. I don't think it would be much of a road block. The thin metal arm would bend pretty easy too...

I thought about locking mine but it might cause more damage to the coach then the amount and cost of fuel being taken! I figure no one is going wait around while a small hose fills a 5 gallon can of gas... Cost vs. benefit?

Just my 2 cents..
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
I figure no one is going wait around while a small hose fills a 5 gallon can of gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised. A lot of boats on trailers and cars have been hit around here the last 2 weeks. This part of the world is pretty quiet in winter, so it would be easy to not get caught.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

True enough the door can be pried open fairly easy. They are not likely to bend the metal blade that does the locking, it is plenty heavy, so they would most likely break the door. I also put a coil spring shaped cone in my filler neck to stop siphoning. My main concern was vandalism, i,e; putting sugar or foreign materials in the tank that would do much more harm than siphoning a little gas. The locked gas cap is the best solution, if you can find one, I couldn't. The wrong one may put you down on the road, or cause erratic operation of the fuel system.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I thought about locking mine but it might cause more damage to the coach then the amount and cost of fuel being taken! I figure no one is going wait around while a small hose fills a 5 gallon can of gas... Cost vs. benefit?

Just my 2 cents.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People doing this "professionaly" don't fill 5 gallon cans with a thin tube. They have large truck mounted containers and pumps. They will empty your MH before you know it.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just rang Winnibago Industries, and they told me no locking cap was available from them. He suggested, as did some of you, that I take the cap to someplace like NAPA and try to match it that way. If I find one, I'll post the manufacturer and part number here.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have a friend that found a GM locking gas cap from a local parts supplier like NAPA for his Workhorse chassis. I called Workhorse, and they gave me a part number for the cap. I ordered it through my dealer.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

i dont worry about people stealing gas I worry about someone putting something in it...i belive in locking gas caps..

just checking
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dont worry about people stealing gas I worry about someone putting something in it...i belive in locking gas caps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry I never had to deal with that. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">People doing this "professionaly" don't fill 5 gallon cans with a thin tube. They have large truck mounted containers and pumps. They will empty your MH before you know it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's unreal! I'm full time so there is always someone around in the CG's..

Sorry to hear y-all have to deal with that sort of stuff, that's not good!
Anyway Good Luck!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
i dont worry about people stealing gas I worry about someone putting something in it...i belive in locking gas caps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, however I did see an interesting episode of Mythbuster recently, where they dumped all kinds of stuff in a gas tank (including sugar) to see if it would stop an engine. Nothing did! They even let the sugar sit overnight so it would dissolve.

Still, better safe than sorry, so I'll keep looking for a locking gas cap.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

5 Gallon can and a hose?
I know I was hit about two years back and my motor home was emptyed over night from a full tank. I think they got 5 gallons and just let the rest run out on the ground BIG gas wet spot next to motor home. 5 in a can and 75 on the ground I was not a happy camper! Pun Intended!

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #19

We had someone siphon out diesel from our bus. They got quite a bit since it was about half full (our tanks are 190 gal), Guess they needed some "home heating oil" that winter. Before we refuel, there will be locks on the doors. But no hurry. It's not going anywhere anytime too soon.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W8RLM - Bob:
I have a friend that found a GM locking gas cap from a local parts supplier like NAPA for his Workhorse chassis. I called Workhorse, and they gave me a part number for the cap. I ordered it through my dealer.

W8RLM - Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello W8RLM;

Any chance you could post the NAPA part number for your Workhorse chassis? I'd like to get a locking cap; fuel prices in my area today are $2.75 per gallon.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote