Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
jgh
Winnebago Camper

jacks or tires

when sitting for extended time is it best to have jacks down or just sitting on tires?
Old 11-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Personally, I go for leaving it on the tires as there can be problems with jacks left extended for long periods and I figure the tires on my RV with age out before wearing out!

When jacks are extended it opens the main cylinder to weather which can tend to let them collect rust, then when we start using them, that rust can work up and down on the seals to make them leak sooner than otherwise.

Tires are generally made to support the wieght and if they are kept aired to a reasonable level, there is usually no har done to them. Of course there is a always a certain amount of "age" added to the tires due to sun or other weather but that happens any time they are exposed, whether supporting a load or not.

If practical and outside, tire covers can help with the aging?? UV from sun is not the best for them! Adn don't let them go down and set on the rims, etc over the winter. Normally not a big problem in my experience if I'm watching the batteries to keep them charged, the tires are not a big problem to look at as I check the rest.

Mostly I like to check on it once in a while so that if something is going wrong, like a rodent moves in, I catch it before it wrecks too much! If a squirrel moves in under the hood, that's bad. If a squirrel has a family and stays for three months, that is REALLY bad????
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd say it's best to store your RVs on it's tires, without the Jacks. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure my Operator's Manual says the same thing. I do know that some RV brands take a different approach and instruct to store with the jacks down.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I store mine with the jacks down, far enough to take a little weight off the tires and keep it from rocking in the wind. I can't find anything about it in the manual one way or the other, and I spray the cylinders with silicone periodically.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't extend the jacks and put flaps under the tires. Got them at freightliner dealer for $12.00 each. Put something under the tires , plywood, etc. , as concrete will keep them wet and remove oils that might dry out tires.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I store my RV on my property and usually have two of the 3 slides out. For stability that means that the Jacks are down. Spray silicone lubricant on the shafts prevents corrosion.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
I don't extend the jacks and put flaps under the tires. Got them at freightliner dealer for $12.00 each. Put something under the tires , plywood, etc. , as concrete will keep them wet and remove oils that might dry out tires.
According to Tireman, It’s asphalt, not concrete that’s an issue. And flat spots if you store on tires all off season without driving all winter. Tireman also recommends adding 10% additional pressure for long term storage, so does Ford.
I prefer NOT storing for extended, (no pun intended), periods of time up on the built-in jacks, as they need to be silicones regularly, and it just puts more unnecessary wear on them, IMHO.
storing on axle jacks, is a different story.
We use our RV as an escape pod, often leaving on a moments notice. And if there’s an earthquake or fire, I’d like to be able to get out quickly. On axle jacks that takes the aforementioned out of the question…
Old 11-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I store my coach on the tires. I add extra air, maybe 2 to 3 pounds. I also crank the coach up once a month and drive it around the storage lot to rotate / exercise the tires to prevent flat spots. As stated above I do not want my jacks extended and exposed to the weather. Seals are expensive.
just curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Please explain a flap under a tire
As far as i know . They go inside a tire with a tube
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I like to extend the LCI jacks and take some of the RV weight off the tires while parked for extended periods during winter storage. Avoids creation of a flat spot in the tire. I also pressurize tires to a few PSI above the Winnebago sticker pressures.

When I do my monthly routine during storage I will run engine and generator, and retract jacks and move the RV forward and back a bit. Then jacks go back down and part of weight back off of tires.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Please explain a flap under a tire
As far as i know . They go inside a tire with a tube
By flaps I mean tire / mud flaps. Freightliner dealer had a pallet of them for $12.00 each in several sizes.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, tires