Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2024, 11:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Two Hydraulic Leaks 2000 Journey 39L

I have two hydraulic leaks on 2000 Journey. One is at the pump and the other is at the slide-out. I am wondering if anyone has had to replace the hoses that run from the pump up to the slide-out. The hydraulic cylinders do not seem to be leaking. From what I can figure out the jacks are also in there somewhere. If the tank on the pump is full the jacks and slide-out work as they are supposed to. I am just trying to find out if it cost a lot to replace the hoses. People around here that supposedly do hydraulic work seem to want to put it in NASA launch terms. How hard would it be to replace the hoses? The pump is in front of the driver side rear wheels.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, one of the things that makes a difference in this job is how long and where the hoses go!
But we don't know what 2000 Journey you have! Bigger often means longer but knowing where the slide might be and how far it is from it to the pump will change the answer!
Just as a general idea, taking the hose off and taking it to a place that builds hoses will be the economy route. From the pump to the slides, the hose is often just strung along the frame but what it takes to get it changed at the slide will depend on where it is and what parts have to be off to get to it!

One first question might be to be sure it is not just a loose fitting that is leaking. On lines I've looked at that are leaking, the fluid is all over and it's not possible to say if it is the loose fitting or the seal from metal to rubber that is leaking.

Before looking at replacement, I would first want it checked for something lots easier! Being under such high pressure, it is almost traditional for them to leak a certain amount!

Warning! Very high pressure can do a lot of damage, so use care if DIY!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My Journey is approximately 40 feet long. The slide-out is just behind the drivers seat. It extends out about 3 feet. That is where the major leak is. The fluid runs out along the slides. The hoses run just above the storage bins but do not leak into them. It appears that you can access them only by taking out the bins or go thru the ones on the passenger side to get to them. I can see them from the passenger side but haven't looked while pushing the slide-out out. If I remember correctly, don't have the books at my side, it is a 39L or G.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This the parts catalog that can give us some idea of where things run and we can get an idea about the lines running to and from the pump to the slide rams.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
This is likely not what you have but an example.
I got to this by looking at the "EXTERIOR SLIDEOUT INSTALLATION GROUP"

You may need to change to the correct RV, though, so consider this only an example!
Click this snip to see better or go direct to the correct drawings!
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	188911

It might not be a terrible price for the part if it is just one of the short lines or some fitting but the labor looks like it might be a problem as parts of the slide may have to come off?? And then the question may be whether to only replace one line while there or do all to avoid the big labor of coming back again later??

How far to trust hoses that are getting near 25 years old?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Perhaps the Winnebago-specific HWH slide room service manual will contain something useful:

https://hwhcorp.com/ml23521.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, journey, leaks, hydraulic