Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to Heat Fresh Tank 2017 Vista LX35F

I'm wanting to heat freshwater tank on our 2017 winnebago Vista lx f35 , I see you can buy a heated blanket but where's the tank and how would I get under it? Is there an alternative?
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I see in the specs. it has a 64G fresh water tank. I doubt you can even see the underside of this tank,perhaps only 1 or 2 sides at most.

The stick on 12V heating pads, with support from your LP furnace, should prevent freezing in virtually all cold weather in which you wish to camp.
To find your fresh water tank, just follow the blue/cold water piping back to the water pump, then from the pump to the tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

And I've seen a 3d picture of freshwater tank. Do you know if the gray tank is part of the same tank or are they side by side?
Old 12-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

To get to the really correct drawing for that year, model, and floorplan, it has an early and late year build. That may mean there are differences in the plumbing.
To get to the correct set, do you have an RV with the 7th digit of the serial number being 1 or is it 2?
Not the VIN but serial number from Winnebago!

If not handy to dig into paperwork, etc. there is a label somewhere near the driver's left side with the needed info and details of the RV and might be easier to check?
Meanwhile we can be sure that there are at least three different tanks. One fresh, one black, and one grey. There look like there may be others on your RV, however.

Depending on build date, it looks like the tanks will not be the first freeze problem for me to worry as they tend to be big and lots of water which slows them freezing to burst.
I might worry most about the more solid plastic supply lines in the back wall that run to the shower. The plastic is harder, so more prone to splitting if frozen, much small volume, so easier to get cold as well as the tend to run up the wall in places where we get less heated air moving.
The plumbing at the wet bay that goes nearly outside with only a compartment door can also be suspect?

This is one build but may not be exact for your RV?
Looking at the furnace ducting, it seems there are no ducts into the basement and most run along the one side of the RV, which tends to leave the other side below more prone to being cold sooner?
Looking from above and from RV rear!
Click for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	187991

But we need to know which you have to get more definite answers!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I did get a similar pic like that from winnebago so I'm sure. I know where tanks are. Another thought I have is the wet bay area. Last year aline froze up enough to shut water off. As the day got warmer it was OK. How do I get heat to That bay? I know there is no heat from rv getting there can you recommend a simple cure? Heater perhaps?
Old 12-02-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've found the wet bay and the connection for hose are two places where the water is so close to outside that they need more help. We got by with just putting some form of incandesce light in the spaces that looked suspect.
Now that those are harder to get and combined with getting much better, more efficient heating, we have moved to a smaller heater from E-bay or Wal-mart.
The problem with light bulbs is that they are designed to put out light and only heat as a side effect. So going to things designed to heat without light gives a better result, even if the upfront is more.

Since my house here in Central Texas is designed without any thought to freeze, we have far more trouble when it does get cold, so we have had to think up new ways to avoid damage when it freezes. I have uninsulated pipes running 12-15 feet along the garage wall with no heat inside and no way to wrap them!

I had to get a generator for the funky, unreliable power situation!

This is small enough to fit in wall spaces and such without getting hot enough to burn things.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dengmore-...7?from=/search
Old 12-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I ordered a smaller version of this,
Car Battery Powered Heater,Portable Electric 12 Volt Camping Heaters for UTV and Truck Cab Seat Kit,Auto Vehicle Dash Heater,Windshield Window Defogger Defroster,12V 500W 4 Holes
It has three hoses I can route where I want, figured splice into 12 volts it has off n on switch and choice of temps.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It make take some trial and looking for what to use where, so that may be a good place to start.
I've lived in cold country and then REALLY cold before getting this far South and it takes a different way of thinking for every place I go!
Old 12-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
And I've seen a 3d picture of freshwater tank. Do you know if the gray tank is part of the same tank or are they side by side?
They have to be totally separate tanks; RVIA standards would not permit otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yes, three fully separate tanks. The grey and black lie in that space that looks open on the drawing I posted.
The way Winnebago does their drawings, we can specify fresh lines and equipment or drains but we can't get both shown on the same drawing!
This is the drawing for waste tanks on the early build of that RV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tks.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	188011
Old 12-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the picture. Everything helps..

Tags
tank, heat