Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Talking Fall camping...and the changing leaves...

Whenever this time of year comes, I always find myself humming, or starting to hum, 'Autumn Leaves' sung by Tony Bennett (I am a serious T.B. groupie!)...

...and look so forward to this time of year...camping in mind.

I'm of Russian ancestry, (family comes from old St. Petersburg)

...and being so...my DNA is more geared for Fall/Winter, rather than July/August/Summer.

....water pours outta me, like the Swanee River...:(

I can change (and have..lol) an entire exhaust system on a car, in January...on a creeper...in a T-shirt and jeans...and be happy as a lark! That's what DNA can do for ya...lol

....so....camping in the Fall...perhaps with a crackling fire 4 feet in front of me...after days upon the lake-side trails...walking or bike riding, taking out a canoe upon the early morning lake...not a ripple...the sound of a Canadian Loon calling out...perhaps a slight mist upon the water....is my time of year.

And to this DNA-coded, cool weather, ok...COLD WEATHER...lol, 5 th Generation American who now presently resides in Canada....the cool Autumn air...for camping...is simply...to be savored...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Yeah, having a tent for a number of years...the kid years...myself and my Ex, found it just easier ergonomically for that...but now...for two adults, I bought the 2018 Winnie 1706FB shortly before getting remarried to Honey Bun, last year, so now, for two adults that LOVE camping...waking up in a warm, comfortable Queen bed next to her, that bread maker, having done its magic...the coffee maker also (set on timer), having made the 7 cups of Jamaican High Mountain, ready at the same time...ah...bliss....)...us moving around still in our 'jammies'...enjoying breakfast at the Dinette, morning T.V. on low in the background, giving us whatever news we wish to focus upon...and discussing our day's camping plans and wish-list....ah...looking out..seeing the morning ripple start to take to the lake..some mist swirling upon it still...and I...with her...sitting there, sipping my just made, coffee...is what I work for...dream about...and is one of the main pressure and stress relievers of my Life. Probably safe to say, for her as well...if I can type for her.

I love camping...but I love beyond all types...Fall/Autumn camping...

As Tony sings..."When Autumn leaves...fall past my window..." Ok...all you wonderful folks, can thank me for having you hum that tune all morning long....blame me....LOL! I am the CULPRIT!

Happy and safe coming Fall Camping, folks....

Sun Seeker...
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I like this time of year too. I probably should head back to the state park we were in last week because it has a real forest with a variety of trees, not just douglas fir. The leaves were not changing yet when we were there.

Also I just realized I qualify for the state's senior park pass now--camping is either free or $10 a night if utilities, October through March, and April except Friday/Saturday. Since we took almost 5 months off I might make good use of that pass this year.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I like this time of year too. I probably should head back to the state park we were in last week because it has a real forest with a variety of trees, not just douglas fir. The leaves were not changing yet when we were there.

Also I just realized I qualify for the state's senior park pass now--camping is either free or $10 a night if utilities, October through March, and April except Friday/Saturday. Since we took almost 5 months off I might make good use of that pass this year.
"Sound's great, Goodspike! Have at 'er! I also qualify for about 5 bucks off per night..I know...not a lot...but it all helps. We plan October camping outtings in the Canadian Shield, for the island and rock formations as you canoe past them,..are simply spectacular, in Fall Color. It's trips like these, that so bring out the T.T.-added plus factor. Really Cool nights...moderate days...Fall Color...it just doesn't get much better than that, in my camping bones..., and all in total comfort sleeping and eating within the 1706FB's cabin.".
Old 09-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Lake Huron...here we come, Baby! Can't wait...set up the 1706FB, get the fire pit ready....steaks the first night, Caesar Salad and baked potato...wine 'n beer. Throw another log onto the fire...and setting in for a week of 1706FB'ing on the bluff, overlooking the lake vista....! Can't wait...for I feel my 'office 8 hour' blood pressure dropping with even typing this...

Pulling outta the driveway...hooked up...and Have Trailer...Will Travel!

Tony Bennett crooning on the USB drive..."...when falling leaves...blow past my window...", hum, hum...foot tapping....Honey Bun handing me a Tim Horton's coffee...yep...Lake Huron...beaches...trails...windbreakers...here we come!!!...
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My concern now is smoke from wild fires. I don't know if it was 2018 or 2017, but one of those years the smoke became so bad it extended from the Pacific in Oregon and Washington all the way back into Montana (and probably places further east) and up into Canada. Seattle became inundated with smoke this week.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
My concern now is smoke from wild fires. I don't know if it was 2018 or 2017, but one of those years the smoke became so bad it extended from the Pacific in Oregon and Washington all the way back into Montana (and probably places further east) and up into Canada. Seattle became inundated with smoke this week.
Come next week...weather forecast...mostly sunny, highs between 68-74 F, nights 48-55 F (just grrrrrrrrrrrrreat for sleeping with a crack of the windows open!) Like I said Goodspike...this is MY TIME OF YEAR/SEASON around the Great Lakes! ))))))

"...oh Lord...can't wait...we've been too much C19 cabin fever 'crazy' all this summer long. Won't be families...won't be too many people...will just be Lake Huron, its beaches and trails...'n us.... Goodspike...Life is GOOD!

Enjoy whatever plans you and the Missus are contemplating. That's what we all bought these condo's on wheels exactly FOR!

Cheers, and fire-pit ember poking!

Sun Seeker
Old 09-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I feel ya on the cold-temp DNA, SS. Add about 1000 percent southern humidity in July, August and early September and I turn into a bigger crank than normal.

However, we're heading up to the state park on the lake for a long weekend with friends to celebrate making it to 65 and the weather is actually predicted to be a bit cooler here in the SE. Low 80s and high 50s at night - with enough shade, we might be able to camp without the AC.

October is what I'm really looking forward to, however. I know it can be a fickle month temperature-wise but I'm hoping our choices of locations in the more mountainous areas of east Tennessee will yield some true campfire-ready weather. We'll be heading out mid-month for a six day trek through three state parks to hone our skills at staying on the go for next year's planned explorations. November could bring some boondocking practice up on our favorite trout stream.

Here's to fall camping. We've been too ready too long.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
I feel ya on the cold-temp DNA, SS. Add about 1000 percent southern humidity in July, August and early September and I turn into a bigger crank than normal.

However, we're heading up to the state park on the lake for a long weekend with friends to celebrate making it to 65 and the weather is actually predicted to be a bit cooler here in the SE. Low 80s and high 50s at night - with enough shade, we might be able to camp without the AC.

October is what I'm really looking forward to, however. I know it can be a fickle month temperature-wise but I'm hoping our choices of locations in the more mountainous areas of east Tennessee will yield some true campfire-ready weather. We'll be heading out mid-month for a six day trek through three state parks to hone our skills at staying on the go for next year's planned explorations. November could bring some boondocking practice up on our favorite trout stream.

Here's to fall camping. We've been too ready too long.
Sound's fantastic, your plans! We were going down to enjoy some Grand Ole Opry time...this September..but had to cancel, due to the C19 crises, and the fact the Canadian/U.S. border is locked down to non-essential travel. So, we are going to re-book for next year. This coming Monday, we are heading up the coast of Lake Huron, (in Ontario) and are going to poke the fire embers each night, as (so lucky!!!!) the day time temp's are predicted to be 65-72 (no noted humidity!!!!!!) and nights of 48-58 throughout the week.

I have to say, one of the BEST reasons, to jump from a tent, to a T.T. (most go T.T.) is at this time of year, no MATTER what the outside temps is..or whether it is a wet or dry day...you shall enjoy the dry warmth of your unit...no chills, no dampness...to sleep, to eat...to shower.. For myself, doing all that, during the months of September-November (before a good chance of freezing-for-more-than-8-hours) is seen.

Today, from yesterday, I had two cups of bleach into the potable water tank, and lines, (including the 6 gallon water heater), and will twice flush that out of the tank and lines, then will peel off the A/C cover, the tire covers...as my wife will be packing the pantry, linens, (I'll take responsibility for my Fabulous 4 appliances, LOL), and come Monday morning, at 8:00am...baby...we are pulling outta the driveway...and heading eventually North bound...lake bound...the fridge will be turned on today...and yee-haw time, come Monday! Have a blast with your plans...they sound awesome!

Cheers, n' ember poking!

Sun Seeker
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 AM   #9
Yonder

Y'all cause me to ponder our annual, Labor Day ritual. We go to the Helmville Rodeo in Montana. It is a hoot and deep pleasure for 4 days. We are true Rodeo fans (the athletes aren't kneeling) but even more enjoyable is the way we camp. It is free (donations appreciated) random, unstructured, pasture camping where we circle the wagons (TTs and MH) with friends and sit around a campfire 'til wee hours storyin' at one another. Scotch sippin', cigar smokin' with good men, warm days and cool, snuggle-with-Babycakes mornings ... horses corralled 25 feet away, cattle lowing through the night ... our Aussies romping
with the kids... ahhh ... "Memories Are Made of This", Dean Martin ...
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Damn, I was going to leave today for a two day trip, but the forecast clearing of the smoke did not materialize--if anything it got worse!

On the bright side the state gave me all but $8 back on my charges even though I cancelled same day as the first day. I was sort of expecting no refund.

Between Covid-19 and now the smoke I'm getting very little use out of my trailer.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Damn, I was going to leave today for a two day trip, but the forecast clearing of the smoke did not materialize--if anything it got worse!

On the bright side the state gave me all but $8 back on my charges even though I cancelled same day as the first day. I was sort of expecting no refund.

Between Covid-19 and now the smoke I'm getting very little use out of my trailer.
We just backed into our driveway, around 11:30 this morning. Left Goderich, Ontario, around 7:00. Clear sky...around 47F...I was the first one (I think...lol) at the Dump Station, as the concrete was all dry...and had a fabulous 6 days walking trails...walking and sitting upon the beach, watching massive 5 foot waves (for Lake Huron...that is massive!) hit the shore, due to high winds over a couple of days. We were in a NO AMPLIFIED MUSIC campground, so you only heard the rustling of the wind flicking the leaves, and the sound of happy voices, around their campfires at night. A wonderful last 6 days and nights, with Winnie Gal...our 1706FB. LOVED that furnace during the near freezing early morning F 'lows'. One more week of camping planned in October, and then winterizing...and putting her to bed until Spring.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Site Team

We left Texas and 98 degree temps Sept 1st. For the past two weeks we’ve been in Southwest Colorado around 7,000’ altitude. 71 degree days with 43 degree nights.

As I write this we are camped in a lovely National Forest CG at 8,300’ elevation and 60 degree days. It’s a beautiful forested developed campground with 50amp power with no close neighbors.

The Aspen trees are changing to bright golden hues, more striking every day.

We try to do this every Sept because Texas September’s can be the hottest time of the year. This is our 10th year here.

We leave for Santa Fe, NM on Tuesday and then home on the 29th. Just in time for the beginning of cool temps back in Texas.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We left Texas and 98 degree temps Sept 1st. For the past two weeks we’ve been in Southwest Colorado around 7,000’ altitude. 71 degree days with 43 degree nights.

As I write this we are camped in a lovely National Forest CG at 8,300’ elevation and 60 degree days. It’s a beautiful forested developed campground with 50amp power with no close neighbors.

The Aspen trees are changing to bright golden hues, more striking every day.

We try to do this every Sept because Texas September’s can be the hottest time of the year. This is our 10th year here.

We leave for Santa Fe, NM on Tuesday and then home on the 29th. Just in time for the beginning of cool temps back in Texas.
"Sounds fantastic to me! Thanks for sharing!"

Tags
camping