Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know where you can buy the drawer glides used in Winnabago's pre 2003. Mine in my 02 Suncruiser are made of plastic and many have broken. Are they available made of a metal composite. I would like to replace everyone of them. Thanks
Cris
Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know where you can buy the drawer glides used in Winnabago's pre 2003. Mine in my 02 Suncruiser are made of plastic and many have broken. Are they available made of a metal composite. I would like to replace everyone of them. Thanks
Cris
Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I repaired the ones in my 1999 with a #6 flat head screw and self locking nut. See: Drawer guide fix

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I did same as Ron, except I used 3/16" rivets. Haven't had a problem since.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #5

Lichtsinn Winnebago can get any Winnebago part you want. They are also located next door to the Winnebago factory in Forest City. They have ordered complete drawers for me, and they are awesome.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have rebuilt every bedroom drawer in my rig, mainly reinforcing the sides & bottoms. I tend to put too much stuff in them.

FrontRangeRVer is correct; Lichtsinn is great. I've dealt w/them many times.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by criscriscola:
Cris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The name of this part is " back socket " I replaced all of them on my 2003 Sightseer. After a call to Winnebago Customer Service, They sent me replacements, I was still under Warranty.This was a wide spread problem that didn't get published. The new ones are still plastic but beefed up and seems to correct the problem. You can buy them at any Winnebago Parts outlet
SnoDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

had a major problem with drawers in my triple e commander (plastic clips/slides etc ) so went to Home depot in Florida while there and bought all new drawer slides(both drawer and cabinet)They are ball bearing metal sollers and work great. They do not have to be the same size and some spacers or blocks might have to be installed but it was worth it.No such thing as overloading now. Hope this helps.
commander 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
Jim
Winnebago Owner

home depot and lowes have plastic sockets..not exactly the same but if you take your old one you should be able to find a size match..i bought several a few years back and they worked ok..jim
Old 11-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When we bought our unit used in October 2003 it had 8,600 miles on it and about 20 of the 28 nylon drawer track brackets were already broken.

It took me about six to eight hours to replace all except the two "nightstand" drawers, they will be more difficult to get at. The redesigned nylon/fiberglass brackets look like they will do the job, they cost $2.00ea. at the Winnebago dealer.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I got mine from home depot also and they were a lot cheaper, (cost wise) than from the dealer. And they haven't broken yet either. Replaced them 4 years ago.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I bought a lot of drawer brackets. I just change as they break. I had same problem with my 97 Pace Arrow and my 93 Coranado by FW.

But the Winn. replacement parts were better. Made out of a different material.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I did the same as bobpie; I took one in with me to Home Depot, and matched it up. It is made of a more durable material, and the mounting holes are a little different, but they worked fine.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I took Ron's suggestion and installed a flathead screw and locknut on each drawer slide. Works great, and it's definately a one time job.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #15

The slide brackets that are installed on all the RV's that we have looked at are JUNK! It is the cheapest bracket that is sold. You can buy much better ones from most any woodworking outfit (like www.rockler.com) Just make sure that you know the make of your slides (should be stamped on them). BTW, David was a cabinet installer and cabinet maker.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #16

I took a slightly different approach to beefing up the rear brackets. Under each bracket, I installed an L-shaped corner brace (a piece of steel strap bent to a 90 degree angle with screw holes on each leg.) I then used a 1/4"-20 machine screw and installed it with 2 each 1/4"-20 nuts, one below and one above the corner brace leg, so that the end of the screw ran up against and supported the bottom of the rear bracket. By then tightening the nuts in a jam-nut fashion, the 1/4"-20 machine screw is locked in place.

I haven't failed any rear brackets after installing these braces.

By the way, I agree with the others - this is no place for the RV manufacturers to try to save money!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #17

What Rusty did is what David one of the things David has done in the past. He hates the plastic sockets and throws them away. He builds his own supports. He says people load their cabinet drawers too heavy.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I sent an E-Mail to Lichtsinn asking about the Backsockets. This was their answer.
I DON"T THINK SO.

The plastic backsockets are discontinued. The newer coaches are using metal ball-bearing type drawer glides with metal backsockets. You can replace your entire glide set with the newer style for around $25 to $35 per drawer depending upon the length of the rails. I am sending you the catalog which shows the rails on page 188 (starting with part number 153000-). You will also need to install a latch on the front of each drawer to keep the drawer from opening when you go down the road. The latch is part number 117095-02-01A.

Thank you for choosing Lichtsinn Motors,

Lonnie A. Fox
RV Parts Manager
Lichtsinn Motors, Inc.
www.lichtsinn.com
[email protected]
Forest City, IA
The Home of Winnebago Industries!
1-800-343-6255 or 1-641-585-3213
Fax 1-641-585-5758
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #19

Obviously there's a market waiting to be served if someone tools up to cast some metal "backsockets" that are interchangeable with the plastic ones. I buy the replacement plastic ones at my local dealer (Lone Star RV, Houston), and they say that there are apparently 2 designs used by the various manufacturers, so one would only have to tool up for 4 part numbers - left and right sides for each of the 2 designs.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

RonTon
When you say you used flathead screws with locknuts&lt; you are talkin sheat metal screws with plastic wirenuts or are you talking bolts and regular nuts with a lock washer. I guess I am too thick between the ears.
[email protected]

"I repaired the ones in my 1999 with a #6 flat head screw and self locking nut. See: Drawer guide fix"

Ron, Sue and Sparky the cat
1999 Chieftain 35U
2000 Malibu
WIT, FMCA[/quote]