Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

OK, now that I have my first DP, do I need to put Stabil in it if I am not going to use if for 30 - 45 days? I checked a bottle of Stabil at Wally World and it says it can be used in diesel fuel, but is there something better?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

OK, now that I have my first DP, do I need to put Stabil in it if I am not going to use if for 30 - 45 days? I checked a bottle of Stabil at Wally World and it says it can be used in diesel fuel, but is there something better?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't get concerned if it's sitting for 30 days. The biggest problem with cold weather storage is not that it's going to sit for 30 days between exercise runs but, that it's going to take 6 months to use all that fuel up. Exrecising your coach for an hour every month isn't going to make a big dent in a 150 gallon fuel tank, and they should be stored fuel to prevent condensation. That means in spring your fuel will be 6 months old. I use PRI-D diesel treatment. Their website is www.priproducts.com and they also have a biocide to keep any algae from growing in the tank. I believe I ordered mine from Boater's World but you can check on their home page and they will have a number of links to distributer's websites.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mark:

Thanks for info. I did fill the tank (mine has 90 gallon tank) before parking it and will plan to drive the coach monthly.

BTW, on the way home from Illinois this past Sunday, we stopped at a new Camping World store in Clarksburg, IN....saw an Allegro Bus like yours pulling out....I wondered if it might be you....anyway, sure was a good looking rig.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yep, use fuel stabilizer, can't remember the brand but it comes from Auto Zone. If its good enough to use in the boat it should be just fine for the MOHO. If you have a way to get electric service to your coach ( I have 30amp, never upgraded) it will be one of the biggest benefits for you and your coach.
From his postings I guess you can tell Mark is one of the most knowledgeable and frindly members of the forum. Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use Power Service. They seem to be the most popular with truckers. They have a range of products from cetane boosters to biocides. Walmart sells some of their products.

http://www.powerservice.com/
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #7

A fuel stabilizer & algaecide is a minor investment (you never know if you have water in your fuel) and an algaecide isn't necessary IF you got fuel after winter started up (usually already added at the pumps). Only time you run into problems is if you got fuel from small outfit someplace that stays warm and you don't use all your fuel. But I would add anyway, just to be on the safe side (We knew someone who ended up with a gooey/frozen mess). We did when we first parked our bus (filled tanks) but don't know how the stuff did as someone very nicely siphoned out all the diesel over the first winter (also can be used as heating oil). We refuse to refill tank until we need to move the bus and get locking fuel caps. (Bus is under conversion).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Just my opinion (not worth much), but one of the advantages of diesel is that the fuel generally doesn't degrade much with time. We have an 84 Suburban with 6.2 l. diesel engine in Wyoming that has had fuel (40 gallons) in the tank now for 5 years and we have no problems. (Try that with gas--well maybe not). Battery maintenance is important, but starting the engine and not using it causes more problems than it solves. Diesel is also a natural lubricant so diesel engines don't rust as quickly as gas. Diesel fuel does have one enemy: water. Be sure to service the filter/water separator often. By the way, I have driven over 500,000 miles in diesels, but that is a short distance for professional truckers.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote