Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

New diesel owner so forgive my frequent questions: some of you have referred to using a fast idle on cold starts. My Cat manual and the FL manual only mention that the engine electronics will idle the engine at higher rpm's when cold. The CAT manual says to press the accelerator half way during cold starts which will activate the faster idle.

In another post regardling tire inflation, someone notes using the cruise control to get the engine to idle faster. I did not think cruise control would activate unless the coach is moving.

Educate me, folks. thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

New diesel owner so forgive my frequent questions: some of you have referred to using a fast idle on cold starts. My Cat manual and the FL manual only mention that the engine electronics will idle the engine at higher rpm's when cold. The CAT manual says to press the accelerator half way during cold starts which will activate the faster idle.

In another post regardling tire inflation, someone notes using the cruise control to get the engine to idle faster. I did not think cruise control would activate unless the coach is moving.

Educate me, folks. thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Can't speak for the 02, ranger, but on my 03 you push the end of the cruise control/turn signal lever in to go to fast idle. It jumps up to a 1000rpms. I use this to warm the engine faster. This is with the brake on and sitting still. This of course would make the air pressure come up faster also. Joe K and Capt Bill are the xperts on the 02's. As a new owner you ask all the questions you like,,that's what makes the forum a great place, you'll always get an answer right or wrong.Lol. Good miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes using the cruise control will get the engine idle up. My question is, when the engine electronics bring the engine to fast idle, how do you get it back down without shutting the engine off?

You guessed it, I'm a fairly new owner too.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

bill > In my '00 you just bump the accelerator and it will slow down.

When using the cruise control, I usually pull the RPMs up some where between 800 and 1000 and hit the button. It sits there and runs like a champ. I like to let it run a minute or so at regular idle before using the CC.
I believe the Cat will take care of itself as far as not starting until it has oil pressure.
Not sure about other diesels
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

bill j,
If you use your cruise control to get the engine to fast idle, step on the brakes to bring it down or move the cruise control switch to the left.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

OK. This is good stuff. On our way back from Rockford, Il when we got this rig, I started it in the AM just outside Indiannopolis....CAT started up, after about 30 sec. it began about one minute of 900 rpm idle, then returned to regular idle. I did nothing but start the rig...so was thinking the CAT was taking care of itself.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I guess I must have confused some folks. On my 03 after starting simply push the button on the end of the turn signal lever and it automatically jumps up to 1000 RPM no foot on the gas,no setting the cruise control etc, simply push the button in.
After you are done with it, put your foot on the brake and it goes back to around 600 RPM. This is the fast idle feature.
When I start mine on a cold morning, it does seem to run a little faster (with out the fast idle) then it "calms down" and the sound of the engine changes. Take care and Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Seems like all of our fast idle controls are similar and use the cruise control. On our 02, there is actually a couple ways to set the idle speed.

Usually I turn the cruise on, and just hold the button to the "accel" position. While holding it there, the engine accelerates from it's normal idle. When it hits 900-950 RPM., I let go of the switch and the engine stays at that RPM. The other way to set the high idle is to press the accelerator manually until the desired RPM is reached, then turn on the cruise control and press the "set"¯ button. Release the accelerator and the idle is set.

The cruise switch sets the idle pretty much the same way it works when cruising, so you can use "accel"¯ or "set"¯ to control the RPM's. Canceling high idle is the same as canceling the cruise. Touch the brake pedal, or turn off the cruise control.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The '04 has the Smart Wheel. Fast idle uses the cruise buttons on the wheel. Just hit set then accel a few times to bring it where you want to be.

To disengage, cancel or hit the brake pedal.
Walt
Old 02-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Interesting, I found that after taking my rig to a CAT service center for the recall, the high idle now drops down after 90 sec. Prior to that, even blipping the pedal would not knock it down!! I'm not referring to the CC setting the high idle.

They seem to have done more than the fuel pump assy. recall. I noted the accumulated MPG number suddenly started to work correctly. It was indicating 6.9 MPG from the day I took delivery. Right after they did the recall, the MPG went to 7.6 MPG. I guess they re-flashed the software.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote