Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I knew my post on March 30th was too good to be true. I went put the motorhome in storage yesterday and was told that Winnebago will not warranty the Magellan GPS system. It was factory installed in the motorehome when I bought the m/h. The m/h has less than 8,000 miles on it so well under warranty since I purchased it new in August, 2005.

I was told by the service guy at the storage lot(Snyder's RV) in Salem that Winnebago Owner Relations told him to tell the owner to take it up with his insurance company.

I immediately called Winnie Owner Relations and asked for the rep I had talked to earlier last week. He was busy with another customer but was supposed to call me back. That was about 2:38 PM, EDT. I never got a call back.

I have my house up for sale and the wife and I are going to full time for a couple of years. I was thinking about going up to a 40' Vectra for the f/t adventure. I still might go bigger, but if the outcome of this first semi-serious warranty work I can assure Winnie that it will not be one of their products.

When the unit went out I talked with Magellan and they said they didn't warranty their products in motorhomes as they took too severe a beating. How absurd!! Why would I want a GPS attached to something that wasn't going to move? I know where I'm at when sitting at home.

I'm going to do some research and find out when I made all the phone calls so I can write to Winnie and Magellan.

Keep a phone log when something like this happens. It makes it much easier to write a factual letter.

I'll keep you posted, but I feel pretty sure I know which end of the stick I'll come out on. After all, they've got their money and I'll get the short end or customer's end of the stick.

One question I do have, since Magellan said it was a power surge. Why don't all r/v manufacturers put a surge guard/protector in their units as a standard feature? It sure would save a lot of problems for everyone, including the manufacturers and might even help the consumer. It isn't like they cost thousands of dollars and it could be added right to the price.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I knew my post on March 30th was too good to be true. I went put the motorhome in storage yesterday and was told that Winnebago will not warranty the Magellan GPS system. It was factory installed in the motorehome when I bought the m/h. The m/h has less than 8,000 miles on it so well under warranty since I purchased it new in August, 2005.

I was told by the service guy at the storage lot(Snyder's RV) in Salem that Winnebago Owner Relations told him to tell the owner to take it up with his insurance company.

I immediately called Winnie Owner Relations and asked for the rep I had talked to earlier last week. He was busy with another customer but was supposed to call me back. That was about 2:38 PM, EDT. I never got a call back.

I have my house up for sale and the wife and I are going to full time for a couple of years. I was thinking about going up to a 40' Vectra for the f/t adventure. I still might go bigger, but if the outcome of this first semi-serious warranty work I can assure Winnie that it will not be one of their products.

When the unit went out I talked with Magellan and they said they didn't warranty their products in motorhomes as they took too severe a beating. How absurd!! Why would I want a GPS attached to something that wasn't going to move? I know where I'm at when sitting at home.

I'm going to do some research and find out when I made all the phone calls so I can write to Winnie and Magellan.

Keep a phone log when something like this happens. It makes it much easier to write a factual letter.

I'll keep you posted, but I feel pretty sure I know which end of the stick I'll come out on. After all, they've got their money and I'll get the short end or customer's end of the stick.

One question I do have, since Magellan said it was a power surge. Why don't all r/v manufacturers put a surge guard/protector in their units as a standard feature? It sure would save a lot of problems for everyone, including the manufacturers and might even help the consumer. It isn't like they cost thousands of dollars and it could be added right to the price.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-06-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

CHIPPYSGT,

At the end of your posting you mention that the Magellian went bad due to a power surge. Where did the power surge come from - something in the coach or from shore power? I suspect shore power.

Magellian's comment about their equipment taking to much of a beating in a motorhome is - as you said - absurd. What kind of beating do they think they take in a boat.

Warranty coverage on this is a sticky issue. When I was selling GPS's in the marine industry the manufacturers would not cover electronics if they took a power surge or lightening strike. Insurance companies have different rules but the ones I am familiar with do not cover electronics damaged from a power surge yet they do from a lightening strike. Check your insurance.

If your damage is due to a shore power surge then it may not be covered by Winnebago mostly because Magellian will not cover it.

After the first 2 or 3 older RV Parks I stayed in I installed a Surge Guard. Yes, it cost a few hundred dollars but if it is ever really needed, it will pay for itself. Yes, Winnebago could have installed one but then it is like a lot of things. That $300 surge protector that I installed would cost you $600 in added cost probably.

I know this does not help your frustration but if I may suggest - install a surge protector before anything else takes a hit - like your TV's or worse yet - the coffee pot

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Power surge? What made you come to that conculsion? I'd think the Magellan would have a standard of acceptable voltage, too high and out comes the smoke as the usual outcome. Beleive it to run with 12VDC with an acceptable high of soewhere around 16VDC. Generally speaking, a DC powered device is much more forgiving as to tolerances to voltage spikes. Any other equipment got hit with this same spike? Didn't jump the MH off with jumpers and reverse the polarity? That would have cause major problems elsewhere also. I have a Garmin that has ridden in a work truck, MH and motorcycle for 3 long years, many miles and a lot of jolts, got dropped a time to two also without any problems. Driving by a radar site will sometimes make it lock up but other than that, been trouble free.
Would hate to think that a company would give up a potential sale of a couple of hundred G's over a few hundred dollar GPS. As far as Magellan, have no experience with them or their products, was going to try them as my next GPS supplier but might have to rethink that if this is how they do business.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Doug and Gunny: Good topic and insight on Magellan product and customer service vs the many years of Gunny's good service of the Garmin. I am in the market and like the Garmin even more after reading this.

While at the RV show I asked a few dealer reps why manufactures don't install surge protectors or autoformers on their coaches. The response was the RVIA ( RV industry ) does not require it. The industry requires many items on all motorhomes, but not protection against power surge or voltage drops. Good topic.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Chippy, Sorry for you problems. If you do not have a surge protector get one. If you sent the unit back to Magellan and it was fried they could tell whether it was from a power surge.

As others have said, were other thing affected in your coach? Its absurd that they would say a MOHO is too rough on their gear. I have a Lowrance iWay500c GPS, and a Fishfinder on the boat and a Garmin Chartplotter. Never had experience with Magellan and after your problems don't think I want to. I like what I have. Yes do document everything you do even if its on a Word Processor page. Good Luck Jim
Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chipp did you ask them if they could repair it for a small fee?

It is not their fault it got a surge in power I would think that was induced by a person, so why should they pay for someone elses mistake?

Not trying to take sides my friend but fair is fair.

DFW, Texas
Old 04-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Trying to be objective here,but Winnebago does not make the GPS,Magellan does....Magellan has ruled the issue is the result of a power surge,which in many cases is not covered.

Winnebago Owner Relations has ALWAYS communicated with me in a timely fashion, there's even an email in my inbox from them as we speak. While you may not like their answer,I've not had the issue of not being able to contact them.

Bryan Funke is a service "lead" at Winnebago and a frequent contributor to this forum. His email is [email protected].

I'm not saying he will tell you anything different if Winnebago Service has already given their opinion but he may at least be able to explain their stance.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am interested in this because I have worked in the electric utility business for over 38years and have seen a lot of so called power surges blaimed for damages. If you have a real power surge more than likely there will be collatteral damages to several items. When one thing fails and the cause is labled a power surge I would be skeptical of the diagnosis. This usually happens only when all other devices are disconnected from the line at the time of the voltage fluctuation.. Having said that ,what were the circumstances when the device failed?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

This power surge, did it come from 12 volt dc current, or do you hook those GPS things to AC current. If you had a power surge from the 12 volt dc side then you better be checking your alternator, and voltage regulator.
Just my thoughts...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

It's a 12 volt hookup. Nothing else was affected. I don't know when it happened or if it was a power surge, just that I went out one day to try it and it wouldn't turn on.

Riverpark, Magellan's distributor told me that it was a power surge. I, too, wonder about a power surge, but I am electronically challenged. Does anybody know of an independent place to get it checked?

I'd never used one before so I'm not sure how it is supposed to respond to the remote control that operates it, but it seemed kind of tempermental from the start.

One thing I did notice when I pulled the unit out to check the voltage was a small melted spot on the bottom of the box was right above one of the mounting screws that holds the bracket to the shelf. The melted spot is about as big around as a pencil eraser and directly over the screw. The screw head was in a recess in the bracket but very close to the bottom of the computer box.

I know this will be a long drawn out affair trying to get all the times, etc. down and dealing with Magellan, Riverpark, Winnebago, etc. so I'm going to do a little research today then hit it the first of next week when I have the time to sit and think; a hard job in and of itself.

For some reason my wife insists her yard is mord important than my toys! Imagine that!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate all the input.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

A power surge that melts the plastic!!!
I dont think so. But a screw that is too
long, and penetrates the electronics, I
could agree!! TENN.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The line is in the sand no more!!!!!! It was erased with one phone call to Riverpark.

Jim Kilburn of Riverpark, Magellan's distributor is sending me a new unit via UPS today. I called to get an interpretation of the comments on the return sheet. I couldn't read the technician's comment. I wanted to know what I could do to prevent it from happening again.

To make a long story short, Mr. Kilburn said he had heard I had entered on of the forums on the net and as a customer relations jesture he was going to send me a new unit. That, ladies and gentlemen, is outstanding customer relations. Jim Kilburn is right at the top of my list of good guys. Riverpark is at the top of my great customer service list, customer service being one of the things that is eroding rapidly in some industries.

For information Mr. Kilburn told me the following about operting the unit.

1. Rarely use the power button.

2. Use the "Nav Only" button to turn the unit on.

3. If the unit doesn't turn on hit the nav, then cancel, buttons three times in a row. Apparently an electronic burp of some sort.

4. If the unit needs to be rebooted, unplug the power cord in the back (a small white plastic coupler with six prongs) for 10 seconds.

Again thanks, Riverpark and Mr. James Kilburn, for the great customer service.

Thanks to the forum contributors also. I'm sure the forum comments helped.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like it made contact with frame screw and shorted out. There should have been a fuse for such a thing in case it happened. Even then it probley would have damaged the unit even with a fuse.
I use a Garmin GPS on a mount that plugs into the cig lighter it is a small screen but works very well just need it close for my old tired eyes.
I would still ask them to repair your old unit if they can.

DFW, Texas
Old 04-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Looks like the problem has been solved and a new unit is on the way....

The forum comes through once again...
Closed Thread