Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had just got back from having the motor home waxed, and in the process of parking, the engine went from a nice smooth idle to a flutter. The engine felt like it was running on two cylinders, no acceleration and wouldn't move. I looked at the dash and the "Reduced Engine Power" light was on. I turned the engine off and restarted it, and when the engine started it was running smooth but at a very high RPM. I shifted to drive and the motor home would not move, and another warning light came on "Range Inhibit"

I shut the engine down again and waited a few minutes but it would not restart. Now I have 3 warning lights on; Reduced Engine Power, Service Engine Soon, and Range Inhibit.

I don't know if this next part has any connection with the problems or is another problem in itself. I proceeded to shut the generator down and in the process of turning the AC off the generator shut off also.

Several hours later I tried starting the motor home, it does start but idles very fast, will not move and still has the three warning light on.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Member's profile indicates Workhorse Chassis....linked to WCC
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had just got back from having the motor home waxed, and in the process of parking, the engine went from a nice smooth idle to a flutter. The engine felt like it was running on two cylinders, no acceleration and wouldn't move. I looked at the dash and the "Reduced Engine Power" light was on. I turned the engine off and restarted it, and when the engine started it was running smooth but at a very high RPM. I shifted to drive and the motor home would not move, and another warning light came on "Range Inhibit"

I shut the engine down again and waited a few minutes but it would not restart. Now I have 3 warning lights on; Reduced Engine Power, Service Engine Soon, and Range Inhibit.

I don't know if this next part has any connection with the problems or is another problem in itself. I proceeded to shut the generator down and in the process of turning the AC off the generator shut off also.

Several hours later I tried starting the motor home, it does start but idles very fast, will not move and still has the three warning light on.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Member's profile indicates Workhorse Chassis....linked to WCC
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What kind of engine?
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Recent post here about bad battery doing weird things due to low battery voltage. Just a quick thought that comes to mind.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I agree with the battery as a possible source for the problems. When my chassis battery connection went belly up, it caused the engine to work only in "reduced power mode". There may have been other problems, as well, but I didn't go any further because I had already been messing with the battery connections.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
What kind of engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry gunny, I thought I had listed the chassis and engine with my signature. I'll have to check it to make sure it displays with my posts

The engine is the 8.1 Vortech on the Workhorse Chassis
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

A see this as a single point failure with cascading consequences. The battery connections especially the ground and the state of charge on the battery would need to be ruled out first before going forward with any further diagnostics.

You best resource would be your Workhorse Service Center. They have a Tech II instrument that will identify this problem as soon as they connect it to your motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I would guess Battery or your running out of gas.

If the generator died I would guess Gas.
I just sent for an electrical schematic from Fleetwood so I know exactly which batteries are powering what. Each one is different.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the above suggestions.

Before I posted my question I did a search on the "Reduced Engine Power" and it seems like most of the answers point to electrical problems

I see that some refer to the reduce engine power light as "Limp Mode", in my case it was a complete "stop mode" because the motor home would not move at all. I'm sure glad this didn't happen on the highway.

I think I will proceed as Driver has suggested with the electrical diagnoses.

The fuel gage indcates a little less than half, and I'm sure there should be plenty of gas unless my gage has gone south too.

As far as the generator shutting down at the moment I turned the AC off could be a coincidence, I'm still confused about that.

Ron
Old 08-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I had the "reduced engine power" error 4 times in the first 1000 miles. While in this mode the motorhome did not have enough power to move and would barely idle. After being towed for the 4th time the tech found a loose fuse holder. Everytime he wiggled the fuse the error would be set in the computer. He tightened the fuse holder and the problem has not happened since.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron & Dee:
Thanks for all of the above suggestions.

Before I posted my question I did a search on the "Reduced Engine Power" and it seems like most of the answers point to electrical problems

I see that some refer to the reduce engine power light as "Limp Mode", in my case it was a complete "stop mode" because the motor home would not move at all. I'm sure glad this didn't happen on the highway.

I think I will proceed as Driver has suggested with the electrical diagnoses.

The fuel gage indcates a little less than half, and I'm sure there should be plenty of gas unless my gage has gone south too.

As far as the generator shutting down at the moment I turned the AC off could be a coincidence, I'm still confused about that.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think you could rule out being out of gas, because the engine does start and run, though at a high speed. Also because battery does spin the starter and starts engine, would indicate a fairly strong battery. I would think electrical, either connections or poor grounding of components to engine components. Looks like a job for service center.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The fuel gage indcates a little less than half, and I'm sure there should be plenty of gas unless my gage has gone south too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our fuel guage is at least 1/4 to 1/3 off, even after ther IP replacement. If you are under 1/2 and the generator quit (which would occur at 3/4 empty) you may be experencing a fuel problem.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think I am definitely in need of serviec, but I will have to be towed since the motor home will not move at all.

I just tried to start engine a few minutes ago after jiggling and thumping a few fuses, but it wouldn't start.

I have plenty of gas, the engine battery is reading 12.8 volts, and the starter turns the engine with plenty of power.

I started up the generator, retried starting the engine and it started. Still reving at 1700 rpms and the accelerator pedal is completely disabled.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me solve this problem, it is much appreciated.

Ron
Old 08-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Good luck with it Ron and Dee.
I imagine WH put the reduced engine power mode in , to prevent some catastopic damage to your engine or transmission. Like maybe if you had close to zero oil pressure or the engine or transmission was seriously overheating. Even at these extremes , I'd rather just have a gauge and/ or a light or buzzer to warn me that I could cause even more serious problem if I don't shut the engine down quickly.
Let us know what it turns out to be. I would be totaly surprised if you really have a problem justifying to leave you needing a tow. In fact if it is any thing more than the WH computer malfunctioning , I'd be surprised, However, that's not much consolation if you're on vacation , needing a tow , just because of some techy device they put in the MH.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Update

Finally got a moble service to come out and get my motor home at least moved out of the front yard to the street so it can be towed to a WH service dealer.

Would you believe no one around here has a Tech 11 on their mobile srevices. All the medhanic could find was a blown fuse in the transmission module, and it blew as soon as he replaced it. Replaced the fuse and it blew again, third time it held. The coach would still not move untill he removed the computer fuse and replaced it.

The motor home will be towed to the WH service today.

Hope there is better news coming later.

Ron
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for keeping us posted Ron. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

You say 12.8 volts on the battery.

I don't think that's enough.
My battery was 3yrs old, green showing in the battery Eye and even running the engine there was not enough juce.
Diagnosic by a WH service center in NY state. Affeted the trans, reduced throttle, put me in "Limp Home Mode" and lock the trans in, what seemed to be, 3rd gear. Got towed and fixed.

Electronics are VERY voltage sensitive in the new vehicles. Low volts=no go!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

It sounds like an electical problem to me. In the first year we owned our W24 we have become way too familiar with the engine light and reduced power mode. So far, they have replaced the throttle body, part of the wiring going to the throttle body, the ECM and the last time, a shorted injector wire. This took 7 warranty visits to the Workhorse service center in the first year. About half of the visits, the ECM showed no specific codes, so no repair was done. Since the shorted injector wire was fixed, (probably the problem all along), we have not seen the engine light. (Keeping our fingers crossed it is fixed.)
Bud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Just a thought,did they power wash it? May have forced water where it shouldn't be.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">did they power wash it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they did.

Power wash and power blow dry.

I'm still waiting on the diagnostics??

Ron