Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a special place for the iRV2 members attending the Winnebago GNR to discuss their "meet and greet" plans.

Please keep discussion in this topic relevant to the "meet and greet" itself.... Thanks!

Quote:
I hope everyone is checking this thread regularly. It is getting close to departure date for us, so I wanted to update everyone. The irv2 get together will be on Monday, July 21 at 6:00 in tent D. Since we do not have a sponsor to provide snacks, I suggest everyone bring a snack to share and your own beverage. There will be chairs, but we will need to bring our own tables...just a few to put the snacks on. Most of us carry some type of fold away picnic table and we can set those up inside the tent. I will have name tags with numbers on them for a drawing, so please stop at the entrance and make your name tag so we all know who you are! Bill Rowell from RV Upgrades has generously contributed some great give aways for us. Lets give him a big hand! We will be there on the 17th and along with some other early arrivals, so we can iron out any issues beforehand. Again, we will be in the VA row, wherever that is this year. Look for the irv2 banner on the Vectra. We will have a golf cart if anyone needs transportation to the tent.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a special place for the iRV2 members attending the Winnebago GNR to discuss their "meet and greet" plans.

Please keep discussion in this topic relevant to the "meet and greet" itself.... Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope everyone is checking this thread regularly. It is getting close to departure date for us, so I wanted to update everyone. The irv2 get together will be on Monday, July 21 at 6:00 in tent D. Since we do not have a sponsor to provide snacks, I suggest everyone bring a snack to share and your own beverage. There will be chairs, but we will need to bring our own tables...just a few to put the snacks on. Most of us carry some type of fold away picnic table and we can set those up inside the tent. I will have name tags with numbers on them for a drawing, so please stop at the entrance and make your name tag so we all know who you are! Bill Rowell from RV Upgrades has generously contributed some great give aways for us. Lets give him a big hand! We will be there on the 17th and along with some other early arrivals, so we can iron out any issues beforehand. Again, we will be in the VA row, wherever that is this year. Look for the irv2 banner on the Vectra. We will have a golf cart if anyone needs transportation to the tent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bob - thanks for creating our special 'sticky' topic!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 AM   #4

Yes Bob, thank you for setting up the new thread for us. You know we are going to
p-u-l-l...you back into the RV world eventually! Sounds like you are having a great life right now, but a motorhome would make it that much better. Thanks for the special attention.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
For those of us in section E, can we arrange for the golf cart to be used to transport the tables that may be neede? JG
Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We're here and checked in for service. We have #91 and were told to check in at 8 AM to see when we might be taken.

If you come early for service (or just to hang out):

Both parking areas by service administration were full as well as the visitor's center. The service clerk gave us a parking pass for Rally Grounds, so we are there now. When we parked here about 2:30 PM, there were only about three RVs in the row (the one with gravel), now it is filling up. Pammel Park is a good option (electric only but has water and a dump.)

We've already met some iRV2 members - Warren and Lillian (sorry - don't know the iRV2 name) who found us and we had a wonderful visit for over an hour.

Please stop by the very dirty (over two months on the road with no bath) Horizon with Florida tags and say hi! (Complicating things is that Warren and Lillian's coach is our color and has Florida tags, but that's okay - I'm sure they would enjoy meeting you as well!)

Oh - one more thing.. if you stop at the Flying J at exit 144 I-35 (south of Forest City exits), be advised that it is a franchise-owned business, it does not have RV pumps, and you are expected to use the truck islands. They will accept Visa cards at the truck islands.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bob, thks for the "stiky" & info on snacks
,etc. We should arrive next Wed or Thurs to help if necessary. Will be parked in Fl row with irv2 sticker in front window.

John, thks for heads up concerning Flying j.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We are in Branson, MO now heading North tomorrow. Should be in on Friday when the grounds open (section E). I need a service number as I haave a bunch of warranty items to be taken care of. Hope to see everyone there....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ROMAD:
.... I need a service number as I haave a bunch of warranty items to be taken care of. Hope to see everyone there.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope a "bunch" is not more than 7 to 14 items.

They'll only fix 7 items, then you have to go to the back of the line again for the next 7 items. If it's major work, you'll have to schedule sometime later. Good luck,
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago was finished with our coach about 10 AM today and we're glad to have the gripe list knocked down to practically nothing . The service techs did a great job and I think everything is squared away including our hard-to-find intermittent brake light that Freightliner in Tolleson couldn't find (bad brake light switch.) Kudos to factory service

We managed to find a parking spot at the visitor's center after we got our coach back. The parking areas around service administration have been completely full - it appears that some people are just camping out there and not being active for service, but that's Winnebago's problem.

If you are coming in for service, try to find a place to park at the visitor's center. Even if it is full, you can unhook the toad there and then drive north to Pammel Park. There were plenty of places available there as of this morning.

Three Finger's Campground (about five miles west of Forest City) was completely full a couple of days ago. Call them if you want to stay there (only place in the area with full hookups.)

Service is keeping up with everybody requesting work and I noticed on their status board (at 11:30 AM), nobody was on standby. They were taking all pending work at 6 AM Monday.

Don't forget about the coach wash the chamber of commerce is holding this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday downtown. There is a flier with details about this event in your GNR packet. You must call the number listed and make an appointment first before showing up! Our dirty Horizon will be getting a bath at 12:30 tomorrow!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Hello from Galesburg East Holiday Travel Mud Pit in Knoxville, IL. We expect to arrive on Sunday and we'll be camping in the 50A sites. You can easily find us by looking for the Workhorse logos on the side of our coach.

See you there!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Hello from Galesburg East Holiday Travel Mud Pit in Knoxville, IL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ummm, .... yeah. We had that too, last Tuesday morning after a couple inches of overnite rain.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

FYI for anybody coming in this weekend that wants service next week - the parking at the visitor's center is wide open. There must be six or eight spaces open as of this morning. I think most everybody has moved over to the rally grounds.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
I think most everybody has moved over to the rally grounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>John, I'm arriving tomorrow. I have a service appt. for Monday @ 6:00am. Do you think I should over night in the 50A sites or go and park IFO the service center office and "gen" it?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
We had that too, last Tuesday morning after a couple inches of overnight rain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Still raining as of this moment. Tomorrow no rain and most likely no rain for the next 4 days in the forecast out here in Illinois' I-74 Northbound bend area.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
John, I'm arriving tomorrow. I have a service appt. for Monday @ 6:00am. Do you think I should over night in the 50A sites or go and park IFO the service center office and "gen" it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike - suggest you park at the visitor's center if you want electric. You're right across the street from the service area. If you park at rally grounds it will be a bit of a hassle to move and get re-parked.

If you're okay with boondocking for bunches of hours, then parking in front of the service area is a good option.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

It sure is dark over here in the Visitor's Center parking lot.

Went from blinding sunshine this afternoon to hardly no light at all this evening. Feels like being on the ISS almost.

Service appointment early in the morning scheduled for 6am.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Gee, Mike in Texas there is alot of light at your time of night, guess you should have been at the IRV2.com rally this coming week! Sorry you can't make it------

Best,

Bob
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

= Weather Right Now

According to the instructions, you need to show up with empty gray & black tanks and full fresh! There are hydrants flanking each row basically to the North and South sides. I don't see a water sharing hose setup but my neighbor said he has 200 feet of hose and I'm about a hundred feet from the hydrant. He said all I have to do is ask. Apparently the WIT folks don't want you to setup a shared hose lay and leave it.

Last evening at approximately 2:30am we were awakened by the motorhome rocking back and forth in a pretty stiff wind. We had no idea what the wind velocity was however I quickly set the motorhome to condition "Zulu" and battened down the hatches. We had to bring in both slideouts and fortunately the awning manager made me put up the awning before we went to bed. Scurrying around outside I quickly put away our chairs and got back inside the rig. Lastly I lowered the batwing. Once everything was secured we went right back to bed.

For those of you coming, secure all the stuff on your site before you go to bed and allow your self the option to bring in your slideouts quickly if you have to.

Getting level here in the "E" section had it's challenges yesterday however some of the state rows are even more challenging. I made a rookie mistake yesterday assuming that I could level on stacker blocks but after all my efforts it just couldn't be done. I was so twisted up that my driver's door wasn't even closing well. I observed that the R/R set of blocks I stacked was beginning to tilt and I came inside to pull in the slide. Just about as the slide was completely retracted the rig fell off the blocks. I threw out a yellow block approximately 35 feet and attracted a group of concerned citizens who gathered around my rig. Most all the weight in this rig including the 800 pounds of water is over the rear axle.

I selected the store position for the jacks and began to retract. The HWH jacks depend on return springs and that work well as it should. The R/R jack stored normally. Now the left rear jacks actually dislodged the foot off of the bottom of the lift cylinder and the springs pulled the foot up inside on the jack framing. Looking at this I'm seeing a cylinder that was fully extended and stuck in the grassy soil.

While the control panel was still in the store position I grabbed the cylinder and spinning it left to right somewhat and applying pressure upward I was able to begin to get the cylinder moving upward. I moved the cylinder high enough by hand so that I could get a lever under the piston. Using my jack pad I lifted one side of the pad and made better progress. I have a 18" long screw driver and using it along with stacking blocks upward I was able to lever the piston back into its bore I was able to completely retract the jack. I grabbed the foot and slid it back in place "TaDa". Reviewing the jacks they look none the worse for the wear.

One of the guys here that came by during the post collapse phase was helpful in suggesting that I try to get cribbing and drive the rig up on blocks. Once Colleen returned from getting Roxy at the boarders we took the car up to the RED barn and located some cribbing. There are a dozen bins with cribbing and its "help yourself". I took a number of blocks and while returning I happened to see one of the parkers and he curiously was holding a spade shovel. I told him about the challenges that I was having in getting level and he said that parking in the "E" section in general was much better than the rest of the campground sites. He then offered to come by and check out our situation. He suggested rather than jacking my way to being level that digging my way in would be a better solution.

Once we got back at the rig, we set a block on the center line of both front tires. I then backed up the rig about 4 feet. On the left side we dug down about 6 inches. On the right side we dug down about 4 inches. We set up 2 blocks under each of the tires on the right side and moving the rig forward and into the divots the L/F went down as the R/R climbed the blocks.

I shut the rig down and applied the E-Brake. The result of the front tire divots plus driving up on the blocks just about placed my rig in a level profile. It was a relief how it all popped into position. Our parker than said all I had to do is basically level a couple of inches one way or another and we would be perfectly level and that's exactly what happened. I know one thing for sure with the wind blowing the way it was last evening I'm sure that it would have blown us off any combination of blocks.

Currently we have all four tires either in or on the ground and up on blocks. No tires are floating.

When you get here you may want to consider my suggestions as I would have appreciated being able to read a piece like this before arriving. Once I leave like any good golfer, I'll just replace the divots and it'll be none to worse for the wear.

I am located on site E-4-17. You can come by and harass me at any time.

The "iRV2.com Party" is officially listed in the 50th Anniversary Rally Program. We've come a long way ...... Although I don't have numbers to support this, it is likely that we are one of the top 5 largest groups here at the GNR. I have seen quite a few iRV2 stickers.

Colleen and I will be attending the party. Please stop by the registration table on your way in to pick up a name tag. I have a number of sharpies and I think we'd all like to see our real names and our iRV2 screen name on the ID. I was told already that a good number of folks that don't know iRV2 will be coming as well so let's make those folks welcome.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Unless you run into a problem like DriVer did with his jacks, You really are not to dig into the rally grounds. That is why they tell you to bring wood and also have wood here for leveling. Too many people would try to do that and not fill the holes. We are not the only people using the grounds. It is in use many times through out the year and if holes are not filled in someone could get seriously hurt. Someone seeing you dig might also dig and not refill the hole.

Have a great time everyone! And lets hope no more storms like last night but then again this is summer in Iowa. We have been fortunate the last few weeks.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote