Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

Just arrived today C-4-35, I have the 3PM meeting highlighted in the program. Hope meet you all!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 AM   #62
Winnebago Master

Ya'll just having to much fun.
John, you are special for giving Driver a hand..Know we are thinking of you all in 94 degree Virginia Heat and Humidity...Be safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #63
Winnebago Master

We arrived Thursday just after the rain. Have been in our spot C-6-20 for a couple days but this is the first I've had a chance to get the computer up and running.

We spent the first night in the drive and just by chance saw the lightening strike that hit DriVer. At the time it seemed a little close for comfort but had no Idea it hit anyone. DriVer I hope the rest of GNR goes better for you than Thursday.

Yesterday was our turn for a rookie oops! We were sitting watching a movie during the rain storm happy as clams being warm and dry. As things started to let up a little my wife decided to take the dog out. When she opened the door it was apparent I didn't put enough slant on the awning. Before I could rush out and dump the water the whole thing collapsed. Timing couldn't have been worse. This afternoon we're having a get together at our place with all the people we went to Alaska with last year.

Now we have a nice pile of scrap aluminum and shredded vinyl. I guess I'll spend some time today looking up the A & E people to see if we can get a new one.

Later today or tomorrow we'll be wandering around to see if we can touch base with other IRV2 members. If you get a chance stop by. We'd love to meet everyone.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #64
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hikerdogs:
-snip- Now we have a nice pile of scrap aluminum and shredded vinyl. I guess I'll spend some time today looking up the A & E people to see if we can get a new one.-snip- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh my goodness - sorry about that. Our original WeatherPro also turned into an interesting modern art sculpture.

My guess is your awning will need to be ordered. I think the vendors will be accessible Monday morning so you can find out then.

If you are going to have a problem, this is the time and place for it to happen

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #65
Winnebago Camper

We arrived Thursday before the rain, parked in the front handicap row, C 15-12. Good time so far
Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #66
Winnebago Camper

DriVer, sorry to hear of your woes. Too bad it had to happen. We have been in Iowa since Memorial Day and have had tornados within 2 and 5 miles od our coach while we were in Lake Mills, 15 miles north of GNR, visiting our son and twin grand daughters. Spent one evening in a shelter with sever thunderstorms and porecast 60 MPH winds, but had no damage.

We are fortunate to have an awning that tilts automatically, so have not experienced any awning damage, plus we don't put it out that often here in Iowa with the weather the way it has been.

Good luck to all.

Stop by and see us in C-15-12
Old 07-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #67
Winnebago Master

We arrived about 5:15PM Saturday and are in the line waiting to be parked. They won't be able to park anyone until 12:00 Noon because of the rain last night. There are a lot of motorhomes backed up waiting to be parked. It is a beautiful morning, no clouds and warm.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #68
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hikerdogs:
-snip- Now we have a nice pile of scrap aluminum and shredded vinyl. I guess I'll spend some time today looking up the A & E people to see if we can get a new one.-snip- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh my goodness - sorry about that. Our original WeatherPro also turned into an interesting modern art sculpture.

My guess is your awning will need to be ordered. I think the vendors will be accessible Monday morning so you can find out then.

If you are going to have a problem, this is the time and place for it to happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOPS, John. You have a masterpiece, don't you? Hope you can get it taken care of while your'e hhere this week. We have been very fortunate to not have any incidents like yours.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #69
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AZHusker

OOPS, John. You have a masterpiece, don't you? Hope you can get it taken care of while your'e hhere this week. We have been very fortunate to not have any incidents like yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Our awning 'incident' happened last summer. Hope that was the last one

Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #70
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
My guess is your awning will need to be ordered. I think the vendors will be accessible Monday morning so you can find out then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hikerdogs,

John's advice is right on. I would suggest you be at the front entrance of Friendship Hall for the 8:00 AM opening. Go immediately to the Dometic/A&E booth at the rear of the hall. Experience tells me they can overnight parts and equipment and install it before the end of the GNR.

Good luck.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Driver,
So sorry to hear of your lightning strike incident. We are on grounds but our wi-fi has been almost unuseable and haven't caught up with IRV-2 events till this afternoon. Let me know please if we can do anything at all for you. We are in C-9-22 (MO row). Still look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow afternoon.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #72
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
Our row is having a cook out tomorrow at 12:00 (weather permitting) in front of our coach. So please stop by and say hello. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did that! Excellent food and company! Thank you Virginia WIT Group and our hostess Glenda.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #73
iRV2 Marketing

Today I went over to Eaton Sales and purchased a replacement Model 34560 50A hard wired TRC Surge Guard. He told me that he was out of the portable ones but I told him I wouldn't take a portable on a bet.

Don Morgan, Petro was with me when I bought the SG I was able to obtain the SG for $276.26 and I needed it now. Normally I would have ordered from RV Upgrades.

We went back to my rig and yes with "Beau" not there Don "The Mayor" and I installed my Surge Guard. Thanks Don for the help! Don went and retrieved his assortment of hardware when I wound up missing a flat washer.

We began the install by shutting down the breaker at the pedestal and disconnecting the shore power cord. Dismantling the old unit took about about 15 minutes. Once the unit was out it was a pretty easy task to install the new Surge Guard. The biggest challenge was twisting up the #6 conductors to get them to fit in the jaws. I had to unwrap the insulation I had originally installed on the Line side of the SG so I could install each conductor 1 at a time. The load side was easier because the conductors were not as difficult to work with. I inserted all 4 wires at once and tightened them down a little at a time. Finally I gave them a good turn and those conductors were secure. The spec calls for 16 in-lbs. It's best therefore not to over tighten and that's a tough assignment for me.

The new SG differers in that the model I just received does not have a key operated by-pass. It takes 2 minutes and 16 seconds before the solenoid throws on the power. The delay worked fine by the way whereas the defective unit immediately applied power to the load and curiously it threw the solenoid closed at about the 2 minute 16 seconds interval after the power had already been applied. (not good)

Regarding the SG that just fried, the lighting went through the SG backward from the Load side to the Line side. The SG is designed to operate from the Line to the Load side.

The unit was secured to the back wall inside the electrical closet. I re-used the cable clamps from the previous install and I re-wrapped the line side conductors with ET. Looking at the unit as it sits on the back wall it's actually more level than the previous install. I had to re-drill 2 holes because there was too much tension on the case mounting bosses. Total time for the install approximately 1 hour.

So that's taken care of. Better a surge device now than later tomorrow given the history of the storms that have been passing through here lately.

I hope to see everyone tomorrow at Seminar D at 3:00pm.

For John; For curiosity sake's - Started the generator and threw the breakers - no difference with the new SG in place. #2 breaker still trips.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #74
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">purchased a replacement Model 34520 50A hard wired TRC Surge Guard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Must be a 34560 if it is 50a -- 34520 is the 30a hard wire model.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #75
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Must be a 34560 if it is 50a .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>AFChap, Roger that!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 AM   #76
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
--snip--For John; For curiosity sake's - Started the generator and threw the breakers - no difference with the new SG in place. #2 breaker still trips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yup - as expected. Glad you are slowly restoring the coach back to working.

Your thought of the surge going backwards sounds very plausible - in any case, you clearly had a wonky Surge Guard.

Looking forward to gam this afternoon

Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #77
Winnebago Master

Hot off the digital cam - a few pictures of the gam!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #78
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the photos, John! And a special Thank You to you for starting the original <span class="ev_code_RED">2008 GNR Rollcall</span> thread way back in January, and to Glenda 1908 for her idea of getting together and following through to make it all work! .

Thanks, also, to DriVer for being our emcee and "main man" host and to RV Upgrades for providing the door prizes.

It really was nice to meet and place a face with a name.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #79
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Industries
Rock'N Reunion
50 Years On The Road

On behalf of iRV2.com I want to express my appreciation to Winnebago Industries for their outstanding support for iRV2.com at the 2008 Grand National Rally. From the listing that iRV2 received in the "Official Program Schedule" to the seminar facility which was provided for our activity we thank Winnebago Industries.

We also want to thank:
<LI> Steve Evanson, Director of Parts & Services
<LI> Bryan Funke, National Service Director
<LI> Doug Formanek, WIT General Manager

for participating and taking the time address the iRV2 members during the course of the event.

Initial commentary was offered by Doug in which he recognized how many iRV2.com members were present at the event and that he appreciated the support that they give to Winnebago Industries. Doug also recognized Glenda for her efforts in beginning the process and getting Winnebago Industries to support a gathering of iRV2 members at the GNR. John Canfield was also recognized for his wink. John worked to promote this event at every opportunity and that was recognized. It took some coaxing on our part to get John to stand up and wave at the crowd. During the course of Doug's commentary the word "Sparky" was directed at a certain individual who will remain nameless at this time.

Steve addressed the crowd and made mention of how much he appreciated all the loyalty that iRV2 members exhibited to the Winnebago brand. Steve further commented as to how important that our community is to Winnebago Industries by providing real time commentary about Winnebago products which the company observes on a daily basis. In his closing remarks Steve extended an invitation and invited iRV2.com to return Forest City for the 2009 Grand National Rally.

Bryan was there and he had a great time speaking one-on-one with iRV2 members. Bryan as you know is very active in our Tuesday evening Winnebago Chat room. Thank you Bryan for continuing to support iRV2 members here at the GNR all all year round on iRV2.

I want to recognize Forum Leaders, Don Morgan and Frank Foulke who were both present for the party as they worked the room and shook hands as they placed faces to names. Frank took a head count and he came up with 85 persons.

I want to thank RVUpgrades.com for donating our door prizes for this event. RV Upgrades donated ladder mounted flag poles, cup cozies and awning straps. For additional information about RVUpgrades see their website at RV Upgrades.com

I want to thank Chuck from Frame-Rite & Plak for donating a personalized ladder mounted iRV2.com "screen name" plak. Going forward if you are interested in one of these unique plaks you can order one through RVUpgrades. They are very nicely done and one of the better features is that once it's installed there are 2 clips which can be pulled which will allow you to remove the plak quickly for whatever reason either for washing or storing.

Supporting our activity I want to thank Steve & Jon Brazel from Brazels RV Performance for attending and meeting with our attendees. Please see the new website and the entire line of Ultrapower products at Brazel's RV.com

As usual iRV2.com members brought tons of snacks from cheeses to trail mix. Our 8 foot long table was covered with goodies and I want to thank those persons that brought all the snacks. It really put smile on a lot of the attendees faces.

In closing my comments I want to thank everyone for coming to the "iRV2.com Internet Site Group Gathering" party!

I hope to see you all again next year and throughout the year at some of the many WIT functions throughout the country.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #80
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
I'm sorry to have missed the get together. I was stuck at service till almost 3:25 and by the time I dumped and got back to "E" it was 4:15. Glenda, John and Mike and Frank are to be commended for the effort they put into this event. Was it brought up about maybe becoming a specialty club of WIT and, maybe with all the expertise of our members, offer some kind of seminar next year on DIY upgrades / repairs to your motorhome? JG