Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2024, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Furnace wont light Micro Minnie 2108DS

I HAVE A 2108 DS, HAVE HAD AN ISSUE WITH THE FURNACE SCINCE NEW. I HAVE HAD IT INTO THE DEALER MULTIPLE TIMES . AND IT NEVER WORKS!!
BLOWER WILL COME ON FOR 30 SECONDS AND STOPS. SURE IT HAS WORKED A COUPLE TIMES, BUT SEEMS TO FAIL WHEN WE NEED IT MOST!!

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE SAIL SWITCH IS THE ISSUE, BUT NOT FROM THE DEALER. I TOLD THEM TO CHECK IT, THEY SAID OH, THATS NOT WORKING RIGHT BECAUSE YOU HAVE DOGS, AND THERE IS HAIR ALL OVER IT.

WELL, IF THERE IS, HOW DID IT GET PAST THE PILE OF SAW DUST FROM WHEN THEY MADE THE TRAILER????

LONG STORY SHORT, I STARTED BRINGING A PORTABLE HEATER THIS LAST WEEKEND, IT GOT COLD, I WENT OUT AND STARTED MY GENERATOR, CAME BACK IN, AND THE HEATER WAS WORKING!!!!!

ANY IDEAS???? BATTERYS ARE GREAT, 12.7 VOLTS, BIG 6 VOLT RV BATTERIES...A PAIR....
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Maybe it's hair.
Is there hair on the sail switch?
Maybe it's a spider or wasp nest on the switch.
Are the vents screened to keep bugs out?

It acts like the sail switch is not working at times and that is often a sign it is fouled! It sounds like two different sources have suggested this is true.

None of these are a warranty item, so have you checked the sail switch?

Put a meter on the switch leads and see if it is working?

I only see three options:
Pay to have it fixed.
Fix it yourself.
Or just keep butting the dam until something changes!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

we have a 2020 2108DS. We are having the same problem that you are describing.
Ours quit this past winter in NC while working on a project. We were able to pull it
inside our metal building and made do with a space heater. The whole building is close cell foamed so the plumbing was safe. I think it is the sail switch on ours from everything I have read. It looks pretty envolved to get it pulled out from under your refrigerator and onto the floor where you can work on it. Read and study up the articles that are out there and plan the work or find a good tech. Hope it works out well
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Furnace wont light Micro Minnie 2108DS

We have a 2020 2108DS with the same problem. No dogs and screens on the vents. I even stuck a camera up in there to examine the sail switch. Dealer looked at it once and changed the thermostat. Since it does work sometimes I don't think the sail switch is bad. I've heard a couple of other possible reasons. 1. Bad propane regulator. 2. Bad thermostat. I use a portable heater that works fine in the cabin. However, I'm concerned that someday I may need to heat my underbelly to keep the tanks from freezing. Has anyone ever taken their unit directly to Winnebago for service?
dcgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had the exact same problem. It was the sail switch. Once u pull it open you will see how rediculous it is set up. It’s basically in a wind tunnel and ALL hair gets spun onto it. We have a dog and bug screens on vents. When I did mine I posted pics on here to help the next person with the problem. Ours happened while camping in 15deg snow. NOT GOOD. Changing it is a bit of a pain, but worth not paying someone. If ur at all handy, do it yourself. Not only will you save money, but if it breaks in the field you will know how to replace. The switch itself is very delicate and that’s why any hair will cause it to not work. If you have any questions you can message me directly on here and i can walk you thru it. I would start with that. It’s a $20part at the most. You have to remove the electrical panel, heater vent under fridge, and the entire furnace to get to it. Removing and replacing all that is the hardest part. Switch comes off and on easy. I now carry an extra switch with me just in case. Hope that helps! -Josh
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The point with most any repair is pretty simple and boils down to three options that I can see.
We can blame somebody else or some other point, but that doesn't get it fixed.
We can repair it ourselves or find what is wrong and fix it.
Or we can do neither and just stew over the problem until it fixes itself??

As the old saying goes? Life's a bitch and then you die!
Old 06-20-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here is the link that might help you. It can be any number of things with the furnace, but the sail switch is USUALLY 90% the problem and the cheapest and easiest to do. Other issues might be electrical relays, the furnace itself, the thermostat or whatever. To me it made sense:
-thermostat recognizes temp is low and furnace needs to come on
-furnace comes on and works
-I could hear the gas try and work, but then fails after about 20 secs. Then only cold air would come out.
To me that meant the sail switch. It’s a device that’s supposed to be a “safety”. If all is well, gas will flow and the vent will vent it into your rig. If there’s ANY issues with that switch it won’t allow propane to flow and shuts it off. I tried cleaning mine (cause it was real dirty) and putting it back, but here’s the thing……it’s a really cheap part and SO much hassle to replace, that once you have it out…just replace the part and u will KNOW it’s good. Anyways, here’s the link with pics!!

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ds-363351.html
Old 06-20-2024, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Anyone know how I can send Tim H a direct message on here? Thanks
Old 06-20-2024, 10:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Some thoughts on why the thermostat is not likely to be a reason in this case.
the thermostat is only a switch with different parts to make the switch open and close when the temperature changes.
When the blower starts, it is because the thermostat "switch" has closed!
If we agree that it is unlikely the thermostat contacts close and open after the same time delay each time we try, the next most likely failure is the sail switch not closing to start the time period before the gas valve is opened.

If you were hearing the gas valve open, that is after the sail switch has verified airflow and the timer has advanced to the next stage when the gas should ignite. At that point, if the ignition fails and the flame sensor doesn't give the right signal, ALL IS SHUT DOWN FOR THAT TRY.
After three tries, many will go into lockdown until reset.
This doesn't guarantee it is the sail switch as that signal has to be picked up by the board and it has to give the correct response.
But since a repair person has looked at it in person and said the sail switch was a problem, the guy doing the work is often the one who knows best!

Going on an ALL CAPS rant is just a childish reaction to a very common issue and not likely to fix anything!
Old 06-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBap View Post
Anyone know how I can send Tim H a direct message on here? Thanks
Of course! Send him a Private Message. Just click on his Username in one of his posts in that box on the left hand side of the Post. You'll see a number of options. Choose Send Private Message to Tim H and you two can have a private conversation back and forth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.09.00 AM.png
Views:	15
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	189247  

Tags
light, furnace, ace