Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Furnace won’t light 2019 Micro Minnie 2106DS

Hi and thank you ahead of time for the responses.
We have a 2019 2106 DS micro Minnie. We love it. This last trip our furnace would kick on for about 20 seconds and then turn off with no heat. Been poking around on the internet and it appears it might be the infamous Sail switch! Any thoughts? I tried using the thermostat to just get the fan to blow on the “low/high/auto” menu. I couldn’t get that to really go, but if I set the heat to, say 63 deg, it would kick on…then stop after about 20secs. So the fan DOES blow, just won’t stay on or provide any heat. It looks fairly difficult to remove the furnace to clean out that sail switch, if that’s it. Does anyone have a part number or a link for me to buy one please? I’d rather have one on hand before I pull this open, just in case. Thanks again and if you guys have any other thoughts on what it might be, please let me know. Thank u-Joshua
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are different furnaces in different RV, so exactly which one you have is important andsomething that is often best sorted by looking at your specific furnace. This is often a lable with the info on it and with that specific model number one can often find a troubleshooting guide online with a step by step process to sort trouble.
It will also likely give a part number for that sail switch if that is needed.

You may also have one in an info packet onboard?? Sometimes the manuals are a bit lacking on repair details, though. So furnaces have to be pulled while others like the one above has the sail switch out front to be reached easier.

But just as a general rule, you seem to have the scene where the sail switch stuck would be common. One big clue would be if you have screens on all the openings to the furnace and water heater?

A big failure on newish Rv is that they do not come with anything to keep insects like mud daubers and spiders out and those vents just look like home to them, so adding screens is one big way to avoid having trouble later!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Thank you. Yes, I have the manual…problem is, it covers like 10 possible models lol. I have seen know to pull my furnace and was just hoping to be able to get the part prior to pulling. Then it’s pulling, get the correct number off the label, then waiting for the ordered part. I do have screens I bought and put on for both water heater and furnace exhaust. I figured I’d just buy the sail switch and if it wasn’t just dirt/fur clogging it, replacing it anyways to save the hassle of repulling it.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I might suggest going this way as I do understand wanting to be ready to put it back with parts on hand!
I think you should find a label with exact model number on the furnace and it might be just inside the door compartment, so somewhat easy to get to it.
A different option might be if you have an info folder that came with the rV, there may be a page listing different options on the rV and it may have the furnace model number there?

If on could get the correct model number, then perhaps go onlint for the info for that model to get the part number for the sail switch!
Another plan for getting the part number, might be to take advantage of some of the really good parts folks who often will havemuch better info (and experience!) than we might?

Folks who sell parts may already have that info on hand , so perhaps an easy way would be to do some calling to folks who sell the parts and they may have the info almost on top of the head?

But you do have to pull the furnace to get to the sail?? BUMMER!
Old 02-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBap View Post
Thank you. Yes, I have the manual…problem is, it covers like 10 possible models lol. I have seen know to pull my furnace and was just hoping to be able to get the part prior to pulling. Then it’s pulling, get the correct number off the label, then waiting for the ordered part. I do have screens I bought and put on for both water heater and furnace exhaust. I figured I’d just buy the sail switch and if it wasn’t just dirt/fur clogging it, replacing it anyways to save the hassle of repulling it.
For my 2016 2106DS I was able to photograph the furnace label and serial number with my phone by pulling out the Power Center under the refrigerator. Here is a picture of my furnace label and serial number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_124251.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	181935   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_124513.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	181945  

Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Similar issue with my furnace. 2100BH. You didn’t mention what temps you were camping in, but here’s my story. We were on the fourth night of camping. First two nights we had temps down into the 20s. The third and fourth night were in the single digits with really low windchill. Well, in the wee hours of the last night the furnace quit blowing warm air, but the fan worked. I suspected I ran out of propane in the first tank. It’s supposed to automatically switch to the second tank, but that clearly did not happen, so I manually switched the propane flow to the second tank and opened the valve on that tank. No luck.

After we got back home and the temps warmed up, I tested it by turning the tank selection valve to the second tank and opening the valve on the second tank. I then turned on the center burner of the stove to see if I had gas flow. Success. I knew I had gas flow, then I set the thermostat to kick on the furnace. Again success, within minutes I had heat again. As a result, I think it was just too cold and tank selection or second tank valve froze up. I’m happy I did not have to clean the sail switch and that my solution was simple.

Make sure you have gas flow before you start looking at the furnace itself. You might save yourself some time and effort.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all!!!!

To all that helped me…..THANK YOU!
Turned out to be a dirty little sail switch! Got it all fixed. Took about 1.5hrs total. Got the model number and I’ll post it here if anyone else needs it for my year/model trailer. Pain in the back end. At least I saved myself months of waiting and probably about $500 if I had taken it in. I appreciate the help. Have fun camping everyone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3796B670-19AA-426E-AA9B-318038C450D5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	181960   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC104B27-85F8-4A1C-88D8-982029F79AD1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	181961  

Old 02-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Glad to see it fixed!

Is that a bit of fluffy little poodle I see hangiong on the sail?
Would not expect it in the intake cumbustion air, though.

I thought that always went under the frig to mess up the coils there!

Same old story though, it's not the big stuff but the small stuff that messes with our mind so much!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Nice work! It’s always satisfying to tackle these things yourself when possible.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:17 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Good job Josh. Since you're handy, you may want to be proactive and swap out the OEM water heater igniter board with the "Dinosaur" brand.

Note to self. Purchase a sail switch and keep it in my spare parts bin.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Update on furnace

Well, it worked great for about 3 nights of camping. Camped in 22 deg weather. Then….bad again. I went ahead and purchased a sail switch before leaving. Had to swap it out for the new one. All works now.
The replacement process went much quicker this time since I know how to do it. Took 30mins.
Here is the model number of my year model’s furnace in case anyone needs to buy a sail switch prior to pulling furnace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	549F7346-BF78-4F3D-91C1-1E4645D1F69F.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	182238  
Old 03-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The pic I posted was really pixilated. Couldn’t read the mode number. Here it is.

MODEL NO.
DFSD20121

Tags
light, furnace, ace