Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

AC's on or off on my 2018 Winnebago 38W Forza or anybody's rig?

Lately I've heard various opinions so I thought I'd ask the forum. Should the AC's be off if you have the generator running them initially for the ride then you plug in to campground or house 50A and then shut the generator off? I've had folks say to shut the ACs both off before switching to shore power but the part that has me confused if I set my AGS (which I still need to learn how to set up but that's for another day) to turn on if power goes out. Usually power is lost when you're in bed or away from the motorhome so there'd be no time to switch the AC's off. Thanks for the feedback
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If I'm on generator with a/c's on , coming into a campground and before plugging in, I'll turn off a/c's before plugging in. Then set T'stat back to run . My 34T Forza system will then shed the loads and start the a/cs. Don't want to plug in while on generator as that doesn't sound good in my head. Might not hunt anything but I'll still do what I do.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply, I was down picking up my rig after some warranty work and i had a long discussion with one of their better tech's who actually spent time going over and helping me set up the AGS finally. He did explain that the AGS would start the generator and run a bit before allowing one AC then after its started the other to come back on line. He did suggest, like you do, to shut them off when switching from generator while traveling before plugging into shore power and start one at a time to assure no sudden demand from both ACs compressors starting. I appreciate your reply. Thanks
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When things are turned on when plugging them in, it tends to create more arcing than needed. Check this if you want, by plugging in a lamp while it is turned on versus turned off. There is a visible difference and when we are speaking heavy current users like AC, it can do some damage to some portion of the metal contacts making the connection.
Ever notice you get a pretty good flash if you happen to forget to flip the shore power breaker off when connecting the cord?
Point is that NOT making that flash and arc, tends to save whatever contacts you have on the RV, whether it is the end of your shore power cord or the transfer switch! Better to let the breaker in the shore power pole take the hit! Fewer things running means better lifespan.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago