Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need hot water heater help Micro Minnie 1808FBS

We have a Micro Minnie 1808FBS with a Dometic WH6GEA hot water heater. We were getting a fault on the panel when using gas to heat the water. The water did heat up then fault. If we reset it it would continue us to do so. Not sure what that means. We tried again a few days later and 3 times the water heater would not turn off and got so hot I could barely touch the side of the trailer near it. Trying again the next day it went back to heating then fault signal again after heating up. Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks
RWD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That sounds like the thermostat and ECO and not tightly against the tank. When they are not against the tank, then the tank must get hot enough to heat the air between tank and thermostat before the thermostat will turn off the heat source.
source: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...c-Wh-6gea.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. That fixed it.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The Atwood/Dometic eco thermostat is indeed a little tricky beast. Many people change the brain thinking that it is faulty. The thermal blanket cover over the dual thermostats can be a hindrance and not help by bulging out and not being adequate to keep in the heat and can cause the sensor to not do its job properly and cause a the logic chip in the control to go brain dead.

The other problem is the spring that pushes down on the metal coin shaped sensors losing tension from the screw in frame that holds the thermal plate against the inner body of the tank. Any corrosion at all will cause a fault as will any electrical impedance difference due to dirt or corrosion on the tab connectors.

We threw our hands up in the air and just use it by heating up the water in the morning and in the evening to do the dishes or wash up. The off switch for the gas control has become our best friend. The water heater is right under our heads where we sleep and is rather disconcerting having a gas appliance start up on cold nights just so we can have hot water 24/7 which certainly is not necessary. Running it on electric alone solves the issue but tends to be overkill as the water heats to full 140f. Nice if you are a cook and are used to food safe level hot water but dangerous if you are not careful and have thin skin.

Most annoying is that the gas exhaust for the water heater vents hot air straight up into the window just above our head at night so it sends co2 directly in the trailer if there is no wind to disperse it. So the window is best kept closed when the hot water tank is heating.

Our answer is to use it only when we need it not as an on demand source of hot water.

On the dangers of carbon monoxide: the water heater was also very poorly adjusted for flame quality from the factory and woofed like a dog shooting out a yellow ended flame! After setting it correctly the flame is now blue and set to the correct venturi for clean burn propane,

When we bought the trailer some clown had set the venturi almost wide open so the flame was not up to propane standard air mixture as indicated by the manufacturer of the device. Even the dealership that sold the trailer to the original owners missed the fact that the water heater needed tuning before certification for use as a propane gas device! It seems that today's so called RV sales "techs experts" are loath to crack a book about just about anything. The age of shoddy is upon us indeed almost as bad as during the American Civil war when Lincoln was sold crap by fly by night characters just in it for the big bucks due to demand.

Overall it is not the quality of the Dometic/Attwood devices in these units that is at fault, it seems that slap dash manufacturing processes is partly at fault. But the biggest problems all seem to come from dealers not doing adequate pre sale checks. Resulting in unwary owners trying to fix things the right way and constantly running into crappy presale work and slap dash fixes from todays myriad of fly by night RV dealers.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

What I did find out when taking the ECO and Tstat out was that the factory installed both the temperature sensors at 60 degrees Celsius. The ECO should have an 82 degrees sensor for the ECO. The system was faulting thinking it was too hot. As soon as I changed to the correct sensors everything worked great.
Good point about the CO2. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Important to check pressure relief valve when tank is cold under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD73 View Post
What I did find out when taking the ECO and Tstat out was that the factory installed both the temperature sensors at 60 degrees Celsius. The ECO should have an 82 degrees sensor for the ECO. The system was faulting thinking it was too hot. As soon as I changed to the correct sensors everything worked great.
Good point about the CO2. Thanks.
82C is well beyond the scald point at 179F. Nothing "eco" about it just advertising IMO. All the limit of 179F does is make certain that the tank stays hot longer. One benefit is that the top control temp is not far off making a cup of tea or a even coffee with water right out of the tank. LOL

One important hint is to exercise the pressure relief valve to make certain that it does not lock up with corrosion.
Either way keeping a close eye on the unit for trouble is the only way to keep it operating safely. I have not heard of one becoming a bottle rocket and do not want to become the first recipient of a Darwin award thanks to not paying attention to the hot water tank function on a travel trailer.

So for us, the unit will continue to remain off at night while we sleep in such a small space Makes for happy camping and my spouse agrees that waiting for the hot water in the morning is akin to waiting for the morning camp fire to heat up a pot of water to do the dishes after breakfast. The practice makes mornings very pleasant knowing that we are not just glamping it with a portable shack on wheels and will need to use our brains to do things.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The concern about a water heater going to pressure so high it blows up is likely totally misplaced in RV that have plastic tubing!
If it totally runs away and steam begins to look for a way out, most RV will have lots of options to fail before the welds on the tank.
Even 1/2 inch PEX is only rated for 80 PSI at 200 F so I feel fine with the tank not blowing up!
Most of us will have far more trouble with something leaking than the water heater blowing up!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The concern about a water heater going to pressure so high it blows up is likely totally misplaced in RV that have plastic tubing!
If it totally runs away and steam begins to look for a way out, most RV will have lots of options to fail before the welds on the tank.
Even 1/2 inch PEX is only rated for 80 PSI at 200 F so I feel fine with the tank not blowing up!
Most of us will have far more trouble with something leaking than the water heater blowing up!
The design as I see it is to pop the plastic drain plug hopefully before a pex line goes inside the trailer. Far better to have a redundant PRV on the tank outside go than the pex lines. In theory the PRV will leak off excess pressure before the pex pops or the drain plug fails due to overheating of the tank metal past the melting point of the plastic plug. Have not had a plastic plug melt yet but it would be interesting to have a jet of overheated water shoot out of the tank while camped in the bush next to someone with dogs that bark at the squirrels

Here is what happens if someone unscrews a drain plug while the tank still has system pressure in it.

First rule is to shut the thing off and let it cool if any leak starts happening anywhere before even considering draining the system. Poor George obviously forgot to turn on a hot water tap before removing the drain plug. When this happened to me a few years back with our Scamp fiberglass I had remembered to let it cool before winterizing or flushing the hot water tank, I never did find the drain plug...

Yes having to rely upon pex for a hot water system is a bit of a PITA. At least the pex systems of the past 20 years are better than the original polybutylene pipes which caused insurance nightmares for early adopters.

I still think that shutting the system down when not in use is the best way to prevent future troubles with the pex system and along with proper flushing of the hot water tank on an annual basis should greatly prolong the aluminum water bottle as well as the electric heating element. The electronic thermostatic controls and sensor are not as robust as the old school systems that can run from just a propane source but it is really nice not having to hold down a red button to start a pilot light just to have hot water.

That being said if we ever need to replace the tank replacing it with the old school system with a pilot light and gas temperature controls and no logic chips involved at all is not that big a deal. It just means that it adds a step in the process that must be done outside the trailer. When thermocouples fail they fail on the safety side of the equation and that is why a pilot light system is in a great many ways safer than an electric spark gas ignition system.

Sometimes old school is better suited to an application than the latest bells and whistles when it comes to devices like gas hot water heaters.

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heat