Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to install a fresh water tank? - 76' Minnie Winnie

Hey there!

I need help knowing what is what installing a new fresh water tank into my Minnie Winnie. I Just recently bought a 76' Minnie Winnie 26RB. I believe the last owner was replacing the fresh water tank but never got around to actually putting it in. So i have the clean new tank, all the hardware, but I don't know what is what. This is the first camper I have bought or worked on before.

Outside Water Connection: As far as I can see, there is only 1 (one) hose hookup to the outside, so (correct me if I'm wrong...) I am assuming I will use this to fill my fresh water tank as well? Right now all the water systems work when I'm hookup up to a water supply.

Inside: Inside I see two main things - 1. a compressor connecting to the main water hookup with black tubes through a connected system that goes to the rest of the RVs water spouts. The compressor has an open end that something can be connected to. 2. a copper hose that connects to a small spout right next to the city water hookup.

Tank: The fresh water tank has 2 small holes and a large hole

So I see two possible small connecting points for the tank, but have no idea what to do with the big hole on the tank? I feel like I am missing something important about how this system is supposed to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Happy to post any additional info or pics.

Alex
phillipsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Online info gets pretty scarce for the older ones but we might do some guessing and see if it fits what you find.
So I think you might be in an age group which had two fill ideas, so look at the rV side to see if you can spot which.
First is a pretty large "gravity fill" tube which might go to the larger hole? Got a port on the side that might look kind of like a small gas tank filler but for water hose to stick in?
Or do you have a valve that you turn to divert water from filling tank to use inside? Usually one or the other, so which?
Quote:
Inside: Inside I see two main things - 1. a compressor connecting to the main water hookup with black tubes through a connected system that goes to the rest of the RVs water spouts. The compressor has an open end that something can be connected to. 2. a copper hose that connects to a small spout right next to the city water hookup.
Possible to also have an overflow to drain to the ground when overfilling the tank.

I'm guessing this is actually a pump top move water from the tank to the faucets. Look for one of the small holes on the new tank to connect to the open end so to draw water through the pump and on to the faucets?
At the pump, you may find a valve with tubing connected but the other end open or possibly having a cap on it. The valve is a diverter type valve which can be set for the pump to pull from the tank in normal use or from the tube in a jug of antifreeze when in the other position. Suction tube is used to run antifreeze for winterize.
Some have this option, some not, so not to worry if you fail to find something like that.
A second smallish hole on the tank will be for going to a drain line with a valve to open/close for draining the fresh water to avoid freezing. This needs to go down and out, so look for a hole down through the RV compartment bottom to the ground.
This drawing is a common thing, so click it to get a better picture of what I have on mine and you may have some of the same???
Yellow is water line in from hose connection
Red dots are overflow going down and out the bottom
Green arrow and green valve are drain
Blue dots are water out of the tank bottom to the suction diverter valve (red), if normal the water goes past and to the pump with small filter shown in red, into and through pump and down the left side on this one to a line which has a "low point drain" valve which can also open to drain to the ground, getting water out of the pump but the valve is normally closed so water goes into the long blue tube to the faucets. Your RV may have some of these or not as they do change and this is for a 2015.
Good luck on the project and try looking for what might be the same. I like to look it over, starting with what I do feel I see and then asking what the rest might be, because looking at the whole thing blows my mind and I have to work into it slowly!!
It's a bowl of spaghetti but not bad if we take it one strand at a time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump lines.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	174985  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, install, tank, water