Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2023, 04:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auxilary tank options for Boondocking

We have a Micro Minnie FLX. It has a 31 gallon fresh water tank and 25 gallon grey. That only lasts for 3-4 days, and we want to be off-grid for at least a week at a time. So we're trying to figure out auxiliary fresh and grey water options.

We could conceivably use several 5-6 gallon refillable bottles, maybe something like this, for fresh water.
https://wolverinetuff.com/product/boondocking-kit/

For grey water, this is the only thing we've seen that's close.
https://www.campingworld.com/the-max...em-134088.html
I don't know if it would fit under our FLX, though. We tow with an F-150 and could possibly put it in the bed.
Towable units like the Camco Rhino won't work because they're only intended to be towed a few hundred yards at 5 mph, and we will be miles from a dump station.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
lgudema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you seen any water conservation while Boondocking videos on YouTube? It’s not a topic I look for but I have seen a few. Limited showering, capturing dish washing in a tub, putting a bucket in the shower, things like that.

We used 6-gal jugs available from Walmart until we bought a 45 gal water bladder that is available at Camping World.

There are a number of these videos out there:

Old 08-09-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm surprised that our fresh water doesn't last longer. I'll check out these videos. Thanks
Old 08-09-2023, 09:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tractor Supply sells a 35 gallon water tank for $119 . Ours sets strapped in the pickup and will gravity feed into TT tank .
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

This looks like a cool idea.
https://www.amazon.com/YAKIMA-RoadSh...45&sr=8-5&th=1
HumanBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Taknks

We have a 2019 micro mini- I wanna say our tanks are 25 gallons.
We have 4 collapsible water jugs of 5.3 gallons.
I’ll pee outside as much as I can. We use toilet facilities, if we have them. We have been out, boon docking, for 11 days in our trailer without having to dump. I’ll dig a hole let out some gray water (we don’t do dishes inside. Grey water has no food particles for us,) every so often. Usually after a shower. In 11 days we can both shower twice with that amount of water (jug replenishing) and tank volumes. As far as black water…we’ve never even come close to being full. We use rv tp and wet wipes (which we throw in doggy poop bags and then the little trash container we bought). U have to really learn to conserve. We also do NOT drink our onboard water at all. We bring bottle water. Hope this helps.
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBap View Post
I’ll dig a hole let out some gray water (we don’t do dishes inside. Grey water has no food particles for us,) every so often. Usually after a shower.
I assume you realize this is illegal in most places you boondock. Correct?
Old 08-13-2023, 09:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I assume you realize this is illegal in most places you boondock. Correct?

Ummmmmm….yes, if I were to be somewhere where it was illegal and I were to be using non biodegrade soaps and chemicals. However, where we camp and do this it is not.(https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2008-title43-vol2/pdf/CFR-2008-title43-vol2-sec8365-1-1.pdf)
Here the law on it. And to put it in context: I use a small bucket and fill that a bit at a time. Then I take it to a spot where nothing will be damaging to the environment. Dig a hole, dump that. Once that’s been absorbed….if need be I’ll do it again. So, although frowned upon by many, it is not something we do all the time (especially where it’s illegal). It is however an option if allowed by law.
Thought I’d clarify.
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Agree that the Micro Minnie fresh tank last for about 4 days if both people shower every other day. We carry two empty 7gal Reliance jugs. We also carry a 27gal Thetford tote, mounted to the trailer bumper and tied to ladder. When we need to empty gray using the tote, we take along the jugs and fill them. We gravity feed the jug water into the fresh water fill by placing one at a time on the galley counter and connecting with an old cpap hose to drain them into the fresh tank. You can use a collapsible bladder to fetch a greater volume of fresh water, but we have only one 12v transfer pump. We use it exclusively to pump gray water into the tote when a dumpstation is too far away to tow the tote. Place tote in truck bed and pump gray into it. Our system works great for us boondocking in dispersed areas for up to a week. That’s about the time it takes for the black tank to fill. We never use the tote for black.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Jim, that's pretty much what we're looking for. The Thetford Tote looks similar to a Camco Rhino. We have an F-150 so we could put it in our bed.

What 12V pump do you use?
Old 08-15-2023, 07:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgudema View Post
Thanks, Jim, that's pretty much what we're looking for. The Thetford Tote looks similar to a Camco Rhino. We have an F-150 so we could put it in our bed.

What 12V pump do you use?
Acquaer Water Transfer Pump DC 12V 1/10HP Portable Electric Water Removal Utility Pump with Switch and Suction Hose Kit, Low Suction Water Removal for RV, Water Beds, Pools, Rain Barrel, Aquariums https://a.co/d/cwiU1SZ

Had to move the spare to the right in order to bumper mount the Thetford. I didn’t want to mount it on ladder. Ladder mounting would require you to remove the tote before ascending the ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	186968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	186969  

Old 08-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Boondockers Fresh Water;

1. Bumper hitch mounted cargo carrier from Harbor Freight holds 4 - 5 gal jugs that can be handled easily one at a time.U can rig a valve & hose to the RV water pump to access each jug.

2. Rig a Sur-Flo pump to access the 12 VDC trailer wiring plug. (see below)

3. make the 12 VDC pump electrical extension cord (trailer plug on one end) out of 10 ga flexible wire same length as your drinking water fill hose.

4. Get 2 ea 5 ft garden hoses and a plastic lawn sprinkler like Rocky Mountain Goods Plastic Ring Sprinkler found on Amazon.

5. Connect the sprinkler to the pump and the pump output to the filter assy w the 5' hoses.

6. Connect the filter output to the long fill hose.
7. Fill the 5 gallon jugs from your favorite water supply*
8. After filling the jugs disinfect them with bleach
9. a identification system like a luggage tag on a key chain can aid in monitoring how long the bleach has been in each jug.

You can fill a black bladder on the roof of the RV for tepid shower water if desired, the plastic ring sprinkler can be used for the shower head.

*If your favorite water supply is from a river/stream, be sure to scout upstream. I once observed a waterlogged cow carcass about 50 ft upstream from my sprinkler intake.

Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - this is very helpful.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Primative H2O collection

EVO X2 Dual Stage Premium RV Water Filter Kit (Amazon) comes w one 5ft hose.

1. Primitive but another H2O source is the canopy on the non-heater exhaust side of the RV. The exhaust from the water heater and space heater make this method not work as well.

2. Paper clamp a small weight on the downhill side of the extended canopy fabric.

3. Put a bucket under the drip.

4. Works good if on a foggy beach front or in the rain. Unpredictable yield inland, collection depends on dew point temperature and relative humidity.

5. Can coat the canopy top with 100% carnauba paste wax (furniture wax) for more rapid collection.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank