Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We've got a late-in-the-year 2008 35J with the larger Jensen LCD TV mounted in the front. The TV comes on at various times without any rhyme or reason. At first I thought that perhaps a neighboring camper had the same TV remote and that we were just close enough for them to effect us, but it has continued to happen and we aren't close to anybody! It comes on in the afternoon sometimes and several times in the middle of the night while we are sleeping.

I've accused the dogs but since our MH has been parked in driveway over the past couple weeks they've not be in the coach. I have also checked all the menu items looking for a timer but have only found a sleep timer.

Any suggestions short of taking it to a dealer?
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We've got a late-in-the-year 2008 35J with the larger Jensen LCD TV mounted in the front. The TV comes on at various times without any rhyme or reason. At first I thought that perhaps a neighboring camper had the same TV remote and that we were just close enough for them to effect us, but it has continued to happen and we aren't close to anybody! It comes on in the afternoon sometimes and several times in the middle of the night while we are sleeping.

I've accused the dogs but since our MH has been parked in driveway over the past couple weeks they've not be in the coach. I have also checked all the menu items looking for a timer but have only found a sleep timer.

Any suggestions short of taking it to a dealer?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Where is the remote when this happens? Is it lying upside down or rightside up? Is anything, like a book, lying on top of the buttons?

Try leaving the batteries out of the remote. Maybe a sticking ON/OFF button.

Put a piece of black electical tape over the IR reciever on the TV and see what happens.

Good luck.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Spooks??
Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've heard about defective fluorescent light electronic ballasts causing intermittent gremlins. Try operating your TV without any of the fluorescent turned on.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Also someone elses remote may be turning your TV on. When I parked next to my buddy I could turn his Sony TV on and off with my Sony remote.

Going to FL last Fall my wife started to complain about hearing something running after we went to bed. Her hearing is better than mine but I didn't pay much attention to her. She kept complaining after we got to FL. I finally got down on the floor around the fridge and could hear it. I thought my inverter's fan was going bad. The inverter is mounted under my fridge. I pulled out a draw and tried to see the inverter but could not. I held my camera in there and took a photo. Didn't see anything. Then my wife went outside and opened the outside entertainment compartment and found the AM/FM radio was on. It was on a frequency where no station was broadcasting. Only hiss! It was on for over a week and she complained every night in bed. I never use that radio. All I can think of is that the remote for the dash radio turned on the outside radio. Tom 0 wife 1

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our outside storage bay radio does that, but since it has a removable display/control panel, I leave it off most of the time. I suspect some sort of voltage spike or surge may be responsible.

You might try buying a decent quality surge protector, and plugging the tv into that; then see if it happens again. That might solve the problem.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CaptBill:
Our outside storage bay radio does that, but since it has a removable display/control panel, I leave it off most of the time. I suspect some sort of voltage spike or surge may be responsible.

You might try buying a decent quality surge protector, and plugging the tv into that; then see if it happens again. That might solve the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My outside radio does not have a removal faceplate but it does have a remote.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everybody and sorry for the delay in responding. Still busy moving into our house and just started back to work this week.

I've opted to just unplug the TV for now. I tried removing the remote batteries and it still came on. I plugged it into two different available circuits, and it still came on. I can't imagine that everwhere we've stopped from Ohio, down to Florida Keys, and up to Pennsylvania and finally at our house in Virginia that somebody's remote was close enough to turn it on... once ina great while possibly, but daily? I think not.

I guess my next move is to try the surge protector route... or possibly to temporarily hook up another LCD to try to replicate the weirdness on a different TV.

I will post any answers I may uncover.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem with the Sony in our Journey and was told it was a defective switch. Since it had to be removed to fix it, we decided to replace it with a new HD LCD. I gave the Sony to my son and it still turns off and on by itself in his house.
TOM A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hay Ton N, Like your map, thats about how I feel today. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Wanted to let everybody know just in case somebody else is suffering from this problem... it is defective software in the TV and can be fixed by a firmware update.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with the Jenson bedroom TV on my 08 Ellipse.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

CONTACT ASA TECH SERVICE @877-845-8750. I THINK YOUR TV NEEDS TO THE BOARD REFLASHED
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. Just got back from a trip and the TV is still coming on at odd hours. I may have a couple weeks down time to get that done, so I appreciate the number!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I agree with an earlier post regarding defective ballasts in the overhead flourescent lights. In our case, the bedroom radio would turn off and on continually when the lights were on. Also, the tv remote often times would not function while the lights were on. Changed out the overhead lights and never had another problem
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote