Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Mosquito defense recommendations?

We like to do a fair amount of setting out in the evening when we visit friends with Rv or when here at the house.
Right now we do little outside at night due to the heat but we often wish we had some small item to attract the Mosquitos to it instead of me!

Since this group is as likely to have experience with the problesm as any group, I thought I might try to pick your bain for anything that you really find works.

We will soon be doing a visit to cooler weather and likely be setting out or insde an RV. If we could come up with a workalbe solution to deterr the buggers, it would be amazing and gain me many points with my brother!

Got any new ideas that you will vouch for being worthwhile?
At least I can take comfort in thinking you are not a salesman!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thermacell. I have two of them that I set outside and they have worked very well.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have family in the Everglades and camp there often; billions of mosquitos camp with us. We think perimeter fans are the best option.

Would you like to buy some fans from me?
Old 07-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Agreed...mossies are awful flyers and the only thing in my experience that really works is wind - natural or man-made. Need at least 5 mph...
Old 08-01-2023, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That was what I was going to say there not fans of wind
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I used to have a lithium battery-powered insect zapper. it worked very well for about 4 hrs on a charge. I would hang it on the RV ladder so it would attract insects away from us and the campfire.
Mosquitos are attracted to the carbon dioxide we exhale, so the fans suggestion a good one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:00 PM   #7
Retired and Loving it

Thermacell has worked for us for years.
We have the old one that uses butane cylinders.
The cylinders are expensive but if you research you will find that with slight modification it can be refilled.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Coffee

The big thing going around right now is coffee. There are two ways I have heard to use it and both seemed to yield positive results in my limited trials. The first one is to burn coffee grounds like incense. Just put some in a fireproof container and light it. The second one involves spending grounds around, so you have to be in a place you can do that. I started collecting the used k cups at work and sprinkling the grounds around the yard and the kids swing set. There appears to be less mosquitoes. I haven't tested either method extensively, but i plan to keep trying both methods out. It's fairly cheap and no insecticides.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote